Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Proper Anchor Setup

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper Anchor Setup
    Posted: April-29-2008 at 3:10am
I will be taking my '75 Ski Nautique to a campground on a lake at a state park. The campsite is on the water and I would like to anchor my boat near the campsite. The pier is too far and I'd like to keep an eye on the boat. I will likely position the boat 20 feet or so from the shore (depth will determine the distance from shore). I plan to throw two 20 pound anchors off of the corners of the stern and tie a rope with shock cord from the bow eye to a tree. Is there a better way to do this?
1975 Ski Nautique
"Small Letter Boat"
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 10:50am
Siveck- You should always anchor from the bow. In your example, I recommend the bow facing out so that it take the waves properly. Why not just moore it?

-Brad
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:01am
Siveck, you can do it your way or the way Barracuda suggests.Either way would work because I'm assuming where your at is a no-wake zone anyway.If its not than do what brad says.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:02am
Be sure to check with your park ranger or DNR about leaving it anchored or moored overnight. Minimum will be an anchor light. They may require a permit.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:30am
I used to anchor off for week at a time.What I did was used a screw in auger,to a rope with float and clip on for the bow.Then a stern fast to shore.With this set up,your boat can swing into the wind plus you can haul the platform in close when loading or boarding.
I've seen my boat ride thru some bad weather anchored this way.

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:46am
Good advice here. You want the boat to swing around with the wind. Make sure to leave 20' or so of line out even if the water is only 4'-5' deep. It will help the anchor hold. I would think a regular 15-20 lb mushroom anchor would work fine as long as you leave plenty of line out. It has worked fine for me.

Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 2:45am
Thanks for the replies everyone. The area is a no wake zone, but I will definitely point the bow to the lake and the stern to shore. I now plan to throw a 20 pound anchor off of the bow and a rope with shock cord from the stern lift ring to a tree. If ever I do this for more than a couple of days, then I will screw in an auger with a float on a rope for the bow. Great suggestions and thank you!
1975 Ski Nautique
"Small Letter Boat"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic