Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Question
    Posted: April-29-2008 at 12:53pm
As long as I've had my 89 SN, I've alway's thought the steering was a little stiffer than it should be.
So this season I wanted to see if I could make it any smoother.
To date I have replaced the rudder packing, even added some marine grease and it moves easily by hand. I replaced the steering cabel, although the po had done this the season before I bought the boat, and yet no real noticable difference.
Then (just for the why not) tried loosening the steering wheel nuts which also did not help. The last thing I tried was to spray some grease into the helm where the cable goes. All to no avail. I'm stumped.
I thought I'd remove the boot which the end of the cable goes in when it comes out of the steering box just to see if there was dried greese or another obsticle causing the stiff steering effect I have, but haven't had time yet.
Having tried all of this, does anyone have any suggestions, thoughts, ideas. I'm out of them.
Sorry for the long post.

Danny
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by duffnit duffnit wrote:

Then (just for the why not) tried loosening the steering wheel nuts which also did not help.

Which nuts do you mean?
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 1:11pm
I started with the the two that are on the end of the steering wheel shaft.
Then, since I was there, the bolts that hold the housing for the cable ?pulley? When I say loosened, in effect mabey 1/2 a turn a piece which I promptly re-tightened after deciding it didn't help.

Thanks d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 2:40pm
Have you checked the prop and rudder to see if they are inline with each other? If your prop wash is pushing on 1 side it will take more force to counteract.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 3:32pm
When you say that the rudder moves easily by hand, how easy do you mean? Tip of pinky finger easy?

Did you try turning the wheel with no cable installed? If not, Id give that a try to rule out the helm.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 8:40pm
Greg, good thought but it's the same moving or not.

Tim, I don't remember if it was "pinky finger easy", but it was fairly easy and smooth.
I did also spin the wheel without the cable and it makes several rotations before it stops.

Now a thought I had is about the rudder packing itself. Are the shaft and rudder packing the same? I thought when I ordered the gortex stuff I asked, but can't remember.
What I do remember is that there were 4 rungs of packing on both rudder and shaft, they were the same size as what I replaced them with. Could that have anything to do with it?
The other thing I did was pull the rudder when I replaced the packing to make sure it was straight, which it is.

Guess I'm grasping at this point, but it would be nice to figure out why it's not butter smooth. Thanks for any thoughts.

Danny

Danny

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 9:00pm
Danny, I said what I did because it sounded like you had looked at most everything else. I'm no expert; I was pointing you twards a problem I've found twice now. Since your's is the same under power or not...?!!?   Gotta be mechanical.

Do you have the thinck brass washer under the tiller arm? Not sure what else to have you look for except maybe a overly tight bend in the cable.

You don't want to hear this, but mine can be turned at any speed with any finger...or at least could be before I took it apart.

LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 9:30pm
Danny, dont grasp at straws. Do some basic troubleshooting and figure out where the stiffness is coming from. Its either the rudder, cable or helm. If all signs point to the cable, its possible theres a tight bend like Greg said or maybe you just got a bad one.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:40pm
Hey Greg, thanks for the input. I don't know about the washer but I will certainly look. If mine is missing, wanna loan me yours?? (LOL) The tight bend in the cable could be possible. I pulled the old one out and pulled the new one in the same place, so it's highly possible the cable could have the same tight bend as the last one.
BTW, love the work your doing on your BFN. I check your "weeding" thread often and find it quite interesting. If I took on a project like that it would take me years to get to where you are now and I would forget what I was supposed to be doing!

Yeah Tim your right, troubleshooting! I always like to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.
I'm on it, hopefully in the next week or so.

Thanks again,
Danny
Danny

duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 12:43pm
As a follow up I thought I'd let others know what I found.
I removed the helm and opened it up. There are 2 gears 1 large and 1 small which I removed and cleaned, as well as the steering box housing. While cleaning I found 3 small semi round pieces of metal that were most likely pieces from a previous broken/worn cable. I also inspected the splines on the gears and noticed 3 that were somewhat worn or bent. I used a small file to re-edge the worn splines, greased and re-installed the helm.
Long story short, butter smooth steering now.

FWIW, less than a 2 hour project.
Hope it helps someone in the future.

Danny   
Danny

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 9:36pm
DU - I also rebuilt my helm. I used brake caliper grease because it was fully synthetic & won't attack the nylon liner inside the cable housing. Teleflex makes it clear not to mix greases - I am hoping mine is compatible.

FYI!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic