NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rookie Projects

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rookie Projects
    Posted: April-30-2008 at 12:01pm
OK, so not all of us are ready for those major projects like a complete floor/stringer job, an engine rebuild or a complete hull restoration. But this site is an inspiration and projects are fun so I took a couple on this winter, a new observer bench and some new carpet. I wanted the bench, because other than a general lack of space, the only down side of the small boats is not having seating for 3 ahead of the pylon

before - after market bucket and ratty carpet

seat fab - cut old base in half to split, had aluminum brackets made, made bases and sent out for upholstery.

using old carpet as template

after

after

Finished it up last night with screwing the engine cover back down, started right up last weekend, now I'm ready for the water.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 12:09pm
Larry,

Looks good man.

Hey, what's with that rear mounted distributor?

Looks like the lag bolts are missing on the port side at the tranny?
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 12:16pm
Nice work, Larry. Did you do the rear seat (if there is one) as well?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 12:18pm
Looks great Larry. New exhaust hose, too.

Quinner, Larry's boat has the "upgraded" engine.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I'm guessing it's not a Ford?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 12:34pm
Steve, Not a great shot of the back seat, but you get the idea. It is aftermarket, but not by me, by a PO. The factory rear seat, I believe, was three seperate cushions that sat on the floor, rather than one big one, like I have. My seat bottom is ok, but next year ($) I am going to have the same guy that did my bench do me a new pleated back, to match the bench, since it is starting to come apart.

Chris, I gotta say, I kind of like the distributor on the back. (1) its got a little more fire in its belly than my old engine with the one in the front (2) its different (dont you get tired of seeing all those 351s with the high rise manifolds) and (3) its seems to be a little less fussy than my old engine with the one in the front.

As far as the lag bolt, there are 3 holes in the mount. The bolt is up front where you cant see it. I never really paid attention to the two sides being different.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Yup! Looking good larry. It's always nice to see a distributor aft! FYI, the Ford's had the distributors aft as well until they got "a better idea"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

New exhaust hose, too.

That was the unpleasant part of the project. Not sure you were around yet at the reunion last summer when my boat almost sank because of a big split in the old hose. I had an overheating issue that I fiddled around with all fall. Back and forth between thermostat and RWP trying to figure it out. Ended up having to switch out my obsolete original pump with a new crank mount.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 1:05pm
I was there. I think you were out in someone's boat when someone else, can't remember who noticed you were taking on water.

That's a nice looking boat.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 3:52pm
Very nice Larry! You back up my decision to keep my old carpet...Amy could'nt believe I did?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 4:02pm
Greg, great point! I did the same with my '90. Larry, do still have the old carpet? Please dont throw it out if you havent already!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 4:14pm
Tim,

Lucky for you the only reason it didnt go to the dump on sunday is I forgot to toss it in. Downside, its no longer the old carpet, now it a "Template". Big Bucks for those you know
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 4:23pm
Larry, Im not interested in using it as a template, so the high pricetag need not apply. Ill be glad to dispose of it for you, though.

If it looks like you'll be up this way within a few weeks, let me know- otherwise a trip to the Cape will be in order!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Downside, its no longer the old carpet, now it a "Template". Big Bucks for those you know

That's a good 1...and quick!

Tim, if you don't want a template then you must have a low spot in the yard?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Larry, Im not interested in using it as a template, so the high pricetag need not apply.

Actually he's got a hot date Saturday night and wants to brush up on his munching skills.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Larry, Im not interested in using it as a template, so the high pricetag need not apply.

Actually he's got a hot date Saturday night and wants to brush up on his munching skills.

Damnitt man!!!   ROFL

We want a shrubbery?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 1:16am
Haha the knights who say neh. Monty python fan Buffalo?

I like the aft distributor but its no the right brand;). Mopar(cough)

Ive always loved the pleated seats 75. That bench looks just like my dads 74's interior.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 8:55am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Haha the knights who say neh. Monty python fan Buffalo?

They were ahead of their time IMHO!
1988 BFN-sold

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 11:03am

If it looks like you'll be up this way within a few weeks, let me know- otherwise a trip to the Cape will be in order!

Larry, if you're still planning to come up here on the 18th, then you can drop the template off for Tim.

Boat really looks good Larry! Can't wait to see it in person. Did you end up drilling holes in the seat base for 'venting'?
-Brad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic