NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 ENGINE INITIAL TIMING???

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by 76'SN 76'SN wrote:

am i going to need a puller to remove the harmonic balancer? i am picking up a cloye gear set and chain with all gaskets tomorrow.

Yes, you're going to need a puller to get the harmonic balancer off. If you don't have one or can't borrow one from a neighbor, try the rental section at your local auto parts store.

Just throwing this out as one more thing to check before you go tearing into it- Check the distributor shaft end play with a feeler gauge. Compare it specs for that dist (don't have the spec handy). If there is too much play, then the timing will vary as the shaft rides up and down on the tapered drive gear.

Good luck
-Brad
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 2:35am
ok i will check that out. i went through the check list with that distributor today once i removed it. everything seemed normal. i cant recall an alarming amount of end play. i wiggled just bout every part one way or another checking for anything such as that. on the timing chain, there aren't going to be any curve balls thrown at me once i dive into that are there? the crank gear is a 3 piece keyway. i was also warned about chain clearance with it being a double row. what are the chances i will have to grind anything on the block to make way?
hukt on fonix helpt me
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 5:11am
this is what i have so far. i pulled cover and saw that i had a some play in the chain. the first pic is just as it sits and the second is showing the amount of play in the chain which seems to be quiet a bit. probably a 1/2in or so.

hukt on fonix helpt me
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 11:58am
Seen worse, I don't think thats your problem.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 12:27pm
Unfortunately I tend to agree although hard to tell from the picts. In my experience you typically have serious teeth wear before it effects timing enough to cause running issues. Here is where I would put the balancer bolt back in and then turn the engine over and look for any lag in movement between the cam and the crank. In my experience you typically have serious teeth wear before it effects timing enough to cause running issues.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 12:35pm
The one I'm doing now has worse than that on each side! I agree that is probably not your problem. I also agree with 79 that if you have serious wear on the chain everything else is not far behind. What is your oil pressure at idle when the oil all the way up to temp?

You said this just started happening. If it was chain wear it would have been gradually getting worse over time. Have you put a timing light on and watched how the advance comes up and back down as the engine revs and comes back to idle under the strobe?
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 4:02pm
i have put a timing light on it and watched. the timing advances and returns to initial with no load. it seems after i run it with a load, it runs fine long enough to plane then runs sluggish. i havent paid attention to my oil pressure because i think my guage is broke. ever since i got it, it stays around 75-80lbs under any condition (idle-WOT).
hukt on fonix helpt me
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 4:06pm
if its not the timing chain or distributer then what else could could be the culprit for my problem?
hukt on fonix helpt me
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 4:08pm
well I would say you need to look at the advance weights again and pay close attention to the springs and how freely the weights move?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 4:10pm
The last description sounds like a carb issue.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 4:15pm
are you setting the timing when the engine is at 600-700 rpm?
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 4:26pm
yes. my idle is a little over 600. would it be a bad idea to go ahead and replace the chain and all while im in there? and is there any trick to removing the gears or do they just slide on and off?
hukt on fonix helpt me
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 4:43pm
well I would suggest that you spin it around untill the dots on the two gears are lined up vertically. Once that is done then unbolt and slide both off at the same time, then align the dots on the new gears with the chain on them and slide it onto the crank and cam.

usually you can start the bottom gear a little then slide the chain over it while you are holding the top gear in the proper alignment then slide them on the rest of the way, too hard but make sure you get them lined up properly. There should be an instruction sheet in with the new gear and chain so review that as a reference for detailed info.
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 8:48pm
i installed new chain today and timed engine. runs great on trailer. i expect to take it to the lake sometime this weekend and see how it works out. im praying this fixed it!

hukt on fonix helpt me
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 4:39pm
I am sorry, but I was too lazy to read all the posts. I think the original chain was fine, but since you opened it up, no harm in changing it. How many years/hours on the engine? My quess is that you need to pull the distributor and replace it. Save the gear.
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 10:11pm
thats kinda what i was thinking as well. its a 76' model with maybe 1200hrs on the motor. guage stoped at around 800 sumthing. i will probably replace distributer as well. i am trying to eliminate ANY possible problems for when i take it out. nothing blows worse than being stranded on the water with all ur buddys. buzz kill!! would a set of new points and condenser as well as cap help or just replace the whole thing. i have a kit already if it would be worth it. thanks for the input.
hukt on fonix helpt me
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 11:21pm
if you can check all bolts on the intake and maybe put a vacuum guage on it, with this you should see a miniumum of 18 inches of vacuum, it was good that you did take the time to do the chain and your on the right track and converting over to electronic will also help. a good way besides spraying starter fluid around the intake to check for leaks is a paint stick soaked in charcoal fluid, you light the stick and then blow it out and it gives off real good white smoke and if leaking will pull the smoke in by the leak. these are simple tests and if problem continues a compression test wouldnt be a bad idea either if all other attempts to repair dont cure the problem
"the things you own will start to own you"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 12:12pm
problem solved???
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 3:48pm
When you set the timing ,double check it AFTER the distributor is tightened down.The timing WILL change several degrees after the distributor is snuged down! It drives the 2 gears into a tighter mesh.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

It drives the 2 gears into a tighter mesh.

Andy,
Please explain - I must be missing something! The gears are straight bevels. The only way to bring them into a "tighter mesh" is to decrease the distance between the cam and distributor shaft centerlines. This distance is a set dimension matching the pitch diameters of the gears by the bore locations in the block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 1:29pm
Double post
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 1:31pm
Pete
When the distributor is loose enough to rotate it, the gears "ride up" a little , thus moving the distributor out of the hole. You never double checked the timing setting after snuging the distributor down? It does change.
Hope I explained it.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 2:11pm
Andy,
Yes I always double check the timing after tightening down the distributor.

"Ride up" is different than "tighter mesh". Ride up is the normal backlash (clearance between the gear teeth) built into the gearing with the machining tolerances.

"Tighter mesh" would be like shimming the pinion gear depth for backlash on the spiral bevel gearing in a differential.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic