NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop shaft removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop shaft removal
    Posted: June-11-2008 at 9:14pm
Cool, let us me know how it goes. Is always good to know another place. I don't have any compleins about Murphys props, except for for the shipping. They were quick and very easy to work with. I haven't found time to install my new shaft and bearing. I am dying to do so but school hasn't let me. One more project and I am done. I hope the aligment goes well. I would hate another surprise. Thanks for let me know you paid about the same. I found the price very reasonable but didn't know how much other people were paying.
78SkiTique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 9:01pm
Anthony: I am going through the exact, and I mean exact same problem as you have. You can follow the thread under "new owner problem". My strut was even bent and twisted the same as yours. I just got it back from being straigtened and it seems we paid about the same$$$. They put new cutlass bearings in, checked the shaft, corrected a slight bend in the end of the shaft, and tuned up the propeller. I am just starting to put it back together and am going to shoot for perfect allignment. Good luck! I had my strut straightened at Bay View Marine in Warwick, RI. If all goes well after I get it running I would say I would highly recommend them.

Skip
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 9:28am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

yes a wood chisel does work well, but dont let Greg know that

So, you're a chiseler?!!?         (3 Stooges)
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 12:43pm
LMFAO You can tell they chip a little bit of the strut.

Getting it straight was about $65. Hammer $5 know where to hammer $60. I think they heated too because is repainted and the old caulk is burned. To removed the stripped set screw and a new bearing was $110. The turn around was quick. Within 2 days they had it straigthen and within a week I got it back. Not bad, it was nice to deal with them.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 10:33am
couple whacks with a hammer and your all set to go...oh sorry...that will be 195.00 lol eric. seems they have nice equipment
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 1:34am
Here is an update. I sent the strut to Murphys propeller in VA and they got it straight, replaced the stripped screw, and put a new cutlass bearing. Cost me $195 and I think it was worth it.

before:

after

New set screws:

My new shaft , looks nice:

Thanks for all the help.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2008 at 1:36pm

i checked into and there are 20 different materials from 306 to special ground pump shaft which was more pricey, i need to find out exactly what material is used....i know i could use ground to size pump shaft but then that would inflate the cost

306??

Eric, Thought you may have missed this.
From above: "I have heard so many different opinions on the shaft material. Last week I was talking to a friend who was replacing both shafts in his 24' twin Chris. He is the guy I know who rebuilds the Chris/Hercules so on the tech end is very competent. He told me he decided on 304 rather than one of the fancy "marine" grades. Half the money and just as good. I have 304 in both my X55 and the Atom. I would go with 316 for salt water. Keep in mind that the fancy "marine" grades are nothing more that private labeling of standard grades with tight control on the alloys. It's almost like drinking bottled water over tap water. (exception: not Louisiana tap water)"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2008 at 10:50am
i was thinking of having him make 20 of them at 52" and cut to size needed and key, my biggest concern was the material. i checked into and there are 20 different materials from 306 to special ground pump shaft which was more pricey, i need to find out exactly what material is used....i know i could use ground to size pump shaft but then that would inflate the cost
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2008 at 4:34am
Eric,
In order to make your prop shaft business proposition work you have to think about manufacturing in quantities of one. The only inventory you have is bar stock and if you do it one at a time, the value added (labor) becomes a receivable as soon as you ship. With CNC capability the changeover time between pieces should be insignificant
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 12:24am
No, No I did not want to bugger the faces of the flanges and as someone suggested the were rusted together. I have a fine selection of hammers, chisels and punches but they are my last resort. I just ordered the shaft log rubber and GO TEX shaft seal from SKIDIM today, so I will be revisiting this real soon.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 11:49pm

I thought about it and he has the CNC's to handle the job and he also is looking for other sources of income, were reverse engineering Lamborgini door hinges right now...how i get my self involved in this stuff I don't know!!!
but the shafting wouldnt be so bad in quanities, the problem is the capital to manufacture and stock them

Looked into it last year... I will even fwd you the quotes. Not a money maker....

Tim

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 3:01pm
I called general. They need a part number. Where can I find a part number for my shaft?

Thanks,
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 1:40pm
Pete, thank you so much for your input. I hope one day I can repay the favor. I never noticed the dark spot at the end. Good catch. I was considering getting a new shaft already so I'm calling general today. I did the measurements as you told me. You were right. The shaft is 0.004" of variance in the middle. I set the V blocks 2 feet apart. Then I took a reading every 3 inches. The problem started showing after the strut marks, like you told me. I bet the boat took a hit. When I bought it it had an ACME 422 which is the wrong prop. The PO told me the boat was stolen from Dallas and later found on shore in Austin.

Thanks on the comment of my improvised V blocks worked great. For the most my readings were accurate. I sample the same location many times to make sure the rig was working properly. Not bad for $5 each on sale.

It will be great to have Eric in the shaft buisiness. It would definetly make things easier. But the capital investment might be a big obstacle. Maybe if he finds somebody going out of buisiness... wishful thinking   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 12:04pm
I thought about it and he has the CNC's to handle the job and he also is looking for other sources of income, were reverse engineering Lamborgini door hinges right now...how i get my self involved in this stuff I don't know!!!
but the shafting wouldnt be so bad in quanities, the problem is the capital to manufacture and stock them
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 8:54am
Anthony, Considering the bent strut, I would have to say that your boat took a hit and at that time bent the shaft too. There are shops that will straighten shafting but it is risky. If the bend was in the middle so the support is on ether side (between the coupling & strut), I would consider the straightening but on the prop end I wouldn't. I also notice the dark area of the shaft at the coupling end. This is a indication of fretting so that would be a negative on the fit of the shaft/coupling. If you have the $$, I would go to General and have them set you up with a new shaft and coupling. They will make sure the coupling fit is correct and true the face of the coupling up to the shaft. Did you indicate the middle? Just being curious! Nice idea on the V blocks! Inexpensive Harbor stuff but it worked.

Eric, Do a internet search on marine shafting and you will find lots out there! I would say that getting into the competition and the investment on all the different couplings and shafting of different diameters/materals would be a struggle. Would the return be that great?
I have heard so many different opinions on the shaft material. Last week I was talking to a friend who was repalcing both shafts in his 24' twin Chris. He is the guy I know who rebuilds the Chris/Hercules so on the tech end is very competent. He told me he decided on 304 rather than one of the fancy "marine" grades. Half the money and just as good. I have 304 in both my X55 and the Atom. I would go with 316 for salt water. Keep in mind that the fancy "marine" grades are nothing more that private labeling of standard grades with tight control on the alloys. It's almost like drinking bottled water over tap water. (exception: not Louisiana tap water)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 12:41am
Looking for V blocks prove to be challenging but I found something similar in Harbor Freight:

I set them 2 feet apart and the maximum variation was 0.006 and that was at before the the beginning of the key.

Now, at the end of taper before the thread start I noticed a variation of 0.014. I am concern about that. What you guys think? Should I buy a new shaft.

Thanks,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 11:43pm
I seen a spec on new and it was .002 over 4ft.
I checked into buying 1" SS shaft because I was going to cut 50 inch lengths and have one side tapered and threaded by my machinist which was a one time in the cnc process and then i would cut the shaft to size per what length someone would want and i would chuck it into my milling machine and key it, I was hoping to keep the shafts around $125.00 each, but then they offer 20 different types....pump shaft, ground to size, 306, unfinished etc...
so if anyone knows the the exact material i will research it further and start making shafts and possibly couplings
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

Tim,
    From SkiDimm?

I am trying to get a local shop to straight my strut. Does anybody recommend repair shop or if I have to buy a new one from where?

Yes-

From SkiDim.

ANd for measuring your shaft:

You need to measure the shaft runout and also check the face runout with the coupler on. A local machine shop should be able to help you.

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 2:32pm
Anthony, Glad you found someone to try and straighten the strut.

It sounds like you need to get the shaft set up in something better to get some decent readings. Ideally V blocks on a surface plate. The straightness tolerance on a good or new shaft is .001 to .002 inches per foot. I feel a bad shaft would be anything over twice that. This means if you have 2 feet between the V blocks, you do not want to see a reading in the middle over .008" It sure doesn't sound like very much but it doesn't take much to get the vibrations going especially now with the fancy CNC props. Do check at the small end of the taper as it will check for bending just aft of the strut. This is the spot that you will see the most problems from hitting something. Did you ever see that picture that Reid posted of his broken shaft? It was just aft of the strut.

Eric, What do you consider bad?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 1:58pm
Pete, what is the minimun variance I should see in the shaft. I got a dial indicator but I don't have the V block. First test using whatever I had the indicator showed +/- 0.01 variance. I bet some of that is due to my setup. I can see +/- 0.003 just by touching it.

I sent my strut to Murphy's propeller in VA. Somebody recommend them in another thread. They seem very nice and at least have an idea of what they are doing. Must of the people around town didn't and I got the "hmm we can try" answer. I think it would cost about $175. That includes getting straight, removing the set screws which I strip the socket, and a new bearing. I thought about putting a new XPC bearing but for convinience I went this way. Whatever they put on can't be that bad.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 12:50pm
Tim,
    From SkiDimm?

I am trying to get a local shop to straight my strut. Does anybody recommend repair shop or if I have to buy a new one from where?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 12:37pm
I just went through the shaft thing..

Best deal going is the complete ARE system for $283.00 with your CCFAN discount.

Tim

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 12:12pm
I have to search the threads but I know somebody recommended a shop. The first thing I am going try is with my prop shop. I have seen him rebuild from a whole blade to outboard bottoms. I try to removed the set screw in the strut and I screw the bolt. I need to remove that too. As always, thanks for the advice.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 7:31am
Anthony, Find someone with a hydraulic press and see if they are willing to try and straighten the strut. A auto repair, marina, machine shop?? After checking the shaft for straightness and if good, it may still be usable if the groves aren't very deep. From the picture, it doesn't look that bad. Clean it up with a flat file if needed and some abrasive strips.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 5:08am
A quick inspection of the shaft look straight. I need to do the V block test.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 5:05am
Well, shaft and strut are out. Removing the coupling was a lot of fun.

This is my strut, can you see the problem:

I believe my strut is bent:

It was so bent that it made little groves on the shaft. Look for at the polished marks:

I guess the questions are: Who fixes these struts and any do I need a new shaft?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2008 at 10:14pm
Bruce, I did see them. You can buy them and install in place of the wood blocks/shims. Are you thinking about it? I'd just stick with the wood. They really aren't hard to use.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2008 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bruce, Does your brothers Century have the hole in the rudder to get the prop shaft out? Some of the older ones did and I can't remember the year they stopped doing it. Great idea - Turn the helm/rudder ether full port or starboard and pull the shaft!

Pete, it does not. I've never seen one of those. Good idea, but one more thing to line up.

There is a serious problem with that alignment and it's not likely on the engine end.

Pete, did you see this pic of the old Interceptor with adjustable mounts.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2008 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Anthony, Well from my side of the computer screen, it sure looks bent! When you unbolt the coupling halves, it may tell you more.

Well, It still looks bent to me!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2008 at 12:45pm
Tim,
   So your strut looks the same way and you don't think is bent? How can you tell if is correct? I guess that is sort of good news for me. So is possible the that the way it looks is correct. I don't want to pull the strut out of there.

I removed the coupling and the prop is still very hard to turn. I think my cutlass is busted. When I try to turn it sound like an old rusty bolt.

At least one thing is for sure, I have a bad misalignment or a bent strut. More pictures:

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic