NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop shaft removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 11:45pm
Sun, no come alongs on a ski boat, in the past i am guilty of using a slide hammer to SEPERATE the couplings tapping gently, never to remove the shaft though, the housing i am refering to is pretty thin aluminum and the guy was slide hammering it to get the shaft out and it broke
the come along thing is for larger boats, you have to cinch a chain around the shaft and put alot of pull pressure to get the couplings to seperate, and once seperated you also use the come along to pull the shaft back. its a real bear sometimes
"the things you own will start to own you"
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 12:39am
Originally posted by SUNAPEE CROW SUNAPEE CROW wrote:

Pull the prop, pull the rudder, make a plate that you can get onto the taper of the prop shaft and run a sacrificial nut onto the shaft to hold the plate on the shaft..... but the rudder needed to be repacked anyway!

I guess now I know about 5 different ways to remove the coupler. I am dangerous now...

One thing I am not sure about is how you remove the shaft from the boat. Do you need to remove the rudder and pull it back? What else needs to be removed beside the coupler? Sorry for the dumb question but I have never done it and I suspect I will be.

Another question: Can I replace the cutlas bearing without completly removing the shaft? My shaft is not turning smooth and I suspect is either MA, bearing, or shaft.

Thanks in advanced,
ethyl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ethyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 2:02am
Speaking of strut bearings, I need to replace mine and am wondering what size bearing I need, where to find it , how to remove the old one and how to install the new one. I have not checked the forims yet but intend to. Thanks in advance.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 10:25am
check the forums on the bearing r and r,

Anthony, sometimes the rudder is offset sometimes its not, Almond Joy has nuts, mounds dont. lol
its true if the rudder is in the way you'll have to pull the rudder which isnt that big of a job

Eric
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 7:56pm
That makes sense. Thanks Eric.

John, this thread is very god explaining a lot of the bearing R&R. At the end I believe Pete explain why removing the rudder is not a good idea. I liked the idea of putting the bearing in the freezer first. Maybe it helps a little bit.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 9:31pm
I checked the shaft and is slightly offset to the right of the rudder. It might clear the rudder, I hope the offset is correct and is not a bent strut. The strut looks ok but I can't tell if is bent or not. I will check later when I remove the shaft. Maybe with a laser pointer I see better.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 7:11am
Anthony, Keep us posted to what you find.
I mentioned not removing the strut if possible.

"Posted: July 19 2007 at 11:41am | IP Logged    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mike, I think removing the shaft is the easier way even though you will need to drop the rudder. If you pull the strut, it then needs to be resealed and then I would recommend checking the alignment of the strut to the engine. If it bolted back on in a slightly different position then the engine will need to be moved. I have also seen shims between the strut base and the hull put there to line it's bore up with the hole in the bottom of the boat."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 8:21am
If the shaft is not in line with the rudder, isn't that a good sign of a bent strut??
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 10:17am
no, they will offset some rudders to accomadate shaft removal, alot of the older ones dont
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 11:46am
I will post pictures tomorrow and see what you guys think. For the most it looks like the offset barely clears the rudder. Also it looks inline with the fins. Maybe I getting paranoid but the rudder had a shadow of a marker, those numbers the junk yard do on parts. Is possible the PO never disclose that info to me. I drove and felt pretty good. My boat is an 88 SN. Thanks for the feedback. I am really grateful for this website, specially the guru's comment of course.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 1:26pm
I have removed the strut in the past to get shafts out, sometimes to get to the rudder is impossible and its your only option other than removing the engine
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

I will post pictures tomorrow and see what you guys think. For the most it looks like the offset barely clears the rudder. Also it looks inline with the fins. Maybe I getting paranoid but the rudder had a shadow of a marker, those numbers the junk yard do on parts. Is possible the PO never disclose that info to me. I drove and felt pretty good. My boat is an 88 SN. Thanks for the feedback. I am really grateful for this website, specially the guru's comment of course.

If its an 88:

Remove one bolt out of the rear of your trailer piece that protects the prop, loosen the opposite side. Then have another person hold onto the rudder. Remove the bolt that goes into the top of the rudder. Loosen the clamp that goes around the rudder. Remove rudder.

Tim

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 3:00pm
anthony has an '87 (which doesn't appear to be in the diaries) and is on a newer Ramlin trailer, he may even have clearance.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 8:16pm
Hollywood is correct, I have an '87 on a Ramlin trailer. You guys remember everything even what I have. I think the clearance between the rudder and prop guard is about 5 inches. The guard is removable so the job might be easy. I have to find out if the strut is bent. Maybe with a 90 degree ruler I can tell. I get the picture since they speak a 1000 words.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 8:24pm
I was also talking in to regards of getting to the rudder on the inside too...its real tough sometimes, enough to make you say im finding a new line of work
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 8:43pm
Bruce, Does your brothers Century have the hole in the rudder to get the prop shaft out? Some of the older ones did and I can't remember the year they stopped doing it. Great idea - Turn the helm/rudder ether full port or starboard and pull the shaft!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 10:04pm
I think it doesn't look good. Is the strut suppose to be leaning a little towards starboard (right I guess).

Here is the picture:

close up:

cont...

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 10:15pm
I was going to upload more but I don't know why I am getting a VB script error.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 10:36pm
strut:

another closeup:

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 11:17pm
Anthony, Well from my side of the computer screen, it sure looks bent! When you unbolt the coupling halves, it may tell you more. But, there is a chance the strut was bent and if the shaft still lined up with the log/stuffing box, then it's still possible to re align the engine to the shaft! Open up the coupling and keep the pictures coming.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 11:22pm
Thanks Pete, I will inform.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2008 at 1:44am
Lizard...

Just went outside and looked at mine the same way as you did. I came to the same conclusion....my strut was bent...

Then I finished pulling the shaft..

Strut is not bent.

Pull your shaft and check again tommorow.

Tim

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2008 at 12:45pm
Tim,
   So your strut looks the same way and you don't think is bent? How can you tell if is correct? I guess that is sort of good news for me. So is possible the that the way it looks is correct. I don't want to pull the strut out of there.

I removed the coupling and the prop is still very hard to turn. I think my cutlass is busted. When I try to turn it sound like an old rusty bolt.

At least one thing is for sure, I have a bad misalignment or a bent strut. More pictures:

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2008 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Anthony, Well from my side of the computer screen, it sure looks bent! When you unbolt the coupling halves, it may tell you more.

Well, It still looks bent to me!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2008 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bruce, Does your brothers Century have the hole in the rudder to get the prop shaft out? Some of the older ones did and I can't remember the year they stopped doing it. Great idea - Turn the helm/rudder ether full port or starboard and pull the shaft!

Pete, it does not. I've never seen one of those. Good idea, but one more thing to line up.

There is a serious problem with that alignment and it's not likely on the engine end.

Pete, did you see this pic of the old Interceptor with adjustable mounts.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2008 at 10:14pm
Bruce, I did see them. You can buy them and install in place of the wood blocks/shims. Are you thinking about it? I'd just stick with the wood. They really aren't hard to use.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 5:05am
Well, shaft and strut are out. Removing the coupling was a lot of fun.

This is my strut, can you see the problem:

I believe my strut is bent:

It was so bent that it made little groves on the shaft. Look for at the polished marks:

I guess the questions are: Who fixes these struts and any do I need a new shaft?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 5:08am
A quick inspection of the shaft look straight. I need to do the V block test.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 7:31am
Anthony, Find someone with a hydraulic press and see if they are willing to try and straighten the strut. A auto repair, marina, machine shop?? After checking the shaft for straightness and if good, it may still be usable if the groves aren't very deep. From the picture, it doesn't look that bad. Clean it up with a flat file if needed and some abrasive strips.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 12:12pm
I have to search the threads but I know somebody recommended a shop. The first thing I am going try is with my prop shop. I have seen him rebuild from a whole blade to outboard bottoms. I try to removed the set screw in the strut and I screw the bolt. I need to remove that too. As always, thanks for the advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic