Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro Tec replacement from Skidim?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro Tec replacement from Skidim?
    Posted: May-06-2008 at 4:04pm
Has anyone installed one these systems? Im looking at dumping my Pro Tec system and heading to this system. Im pretty sure the problems I get with sputter on the top end, and odd misses is coming from the Pro Tec system. I wish it could stay, but Id rather be trouble free, than sitting on the water monkeying around with everything.

Anyways, is it a good system? Will I see any improvements in power or?   Is there another system I should use instead?

Cheers!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 6:58pm
Sure the conversion kit works fine. If you go that route, let me know and I may be willingly to give you a few bucks for all the Pro Tec parts you remove. I have a Pro Ski TBI engine that relies on the Pro Tec and I would not mind having spare components on hand.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 1:24am
David: Am I imagining things or have you been gone from the site for quite a while? Either way it is nice to see you back on.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 1:25am
When we changed out the Pro-Tech in our Pro-Boss it ran very well, maybe even better then it ever did with the Pro Tec.

When ours started to fail the problems were similar to yours, also had difficulty re-starting once it was warm.

Good Luck and send David your old parts!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 11:57am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

David: Am I imagining things or have you been gone from the site for quite a while? Either way it is nice to see you back on.

john

John:

Youre not imagining things. I have been gone from the site. For more than the past year I have single handedly renovated a 4000sf house from top to bottom...everything you can touch or see new. I recently sold the house and made a few bucks, but as you can imagine, that endeavor did not leave much time for anything else other than my real job. I think I used my boat maybe 3 hours the entire summer last year.

I have been lurking a bit here and there, but could not pass up responding to this thread.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 2:42pm
Quinner, did you install it yourself or have someone do it? I failry mechanical, and have replaced parts before, but this one would be a biggy for me. I have done carbs, water pumps, manifold gaskets, a little bit of timing (having a timing gun!)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 3:09pm
I beleive it is something you would be able to handle basicly your going to install a dist, (pull the oil pump drive replace with the dist) change some of the wiring harness connections, time the motor and then your off.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 3:14pm
No, did not do it myself, my mechanic did it, probably took him less than an hour. He sure made it look easy, right on the boat lift, took out the old, put in the new, fired it up, timed by hand/ear then with a gun, we drove around the lake, done deal!

If you search for Pro-Tec there should be several threads about changing out, the Ski-Dim guys should also be able to run you through it as/if needed.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

No, did not do it myself, my mechanic did it, probably took him less than an hour. He sure made it look easy, right on the boat lift, took out the old, put in the new, fired it up, timed by hand/ear then with a gun, we drove around the lake, done deal!

If you search for Pro-Tec there should be several threads about changing out, the Ski-Dim guys should also be able to run you through it as/if needed.

that's what I figured you wack off on the boat, or is that suppose to be wax the boat only.... damn this english language never was very good at grammer.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 6:59pm
Chris, what parts would you use?
i have the protec and some extra pieces but I'm still scared its gonna lay down and ruin a great weekend.

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 1:41am
Judging from your boat job I am sure the house came out awesome...welcome back tho....your knowledge is valued here.

Stick around here and use that boat more...can get more of anything (houses..money..stuff) execpt time.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 12:04pm
I appreciated the kind words John. I will try to participate more, but I kinda feel like a newbie again...regardless of what my moniker says.

And, yes the house turned out awesome and was really tough to sell especially after all the hard work put in. I easily put over 2000 manhours into it.
94nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 10:24am
David F

I have a complete protec system that I took off my '94 pro boss last summer. All parts included. Let me know if you're interested.

Tommer 12

I installed the skidim replacement system with the help of a friend on a Saturday morning. No problems as it comes with a "plug and play" wiring harness. I had never removed or replaced a distributor before this. The included instructions are easy to follow.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 11:02am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

I appreciated the kind words John. I will try to participate more, but I kinda feel like a newbie again...regardless of what my moniker says.

David, Im glad to have you back as well- dont be a stranger!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 11:51am
Originally posted by 94nautique 94nautique wrote:

David F

I have a complete protec system that I took off my '94 pro boss last summer. All parts included. Let me know if you're interested.

Tommer 12

I installed the skidim replacement system with the help of a friend on a Saturday morning. No problems as it comes with a "plug and play" wiring harness. I had never removed or replaced a distributor before this. The included instructions are easy to follow.

Email me and we can discuss.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic