NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new steering cable-why did I ever wait?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new steering cable-why did I ever wait?
    Posted: May-15-2008 at 3:14pm
Took the cover off the boat last week to summerize and could not even turn the steering wheel (I knew it was stiff last year, but forgot about it). Went to the dealer (Sail and Ski in Austin...very awesome dealer), picked up a new cable for about $180.00 and dropped it in in under 1 hour. The most time consuming part is getting the motor box and back seat out of the boat.

Man what a difference! What made this project the most fun of all is that my 10 year old boy helped out from start to finish. He (by himself) removed the kick panel, unbolted the cable rack from the helm, and walked the old cable out of the boat (while I guided it out from the tube). Going back in was very easy with my son pulling on the rope AND holding the cable rack while I guided the new cable down the tube. My son bolted the rack back onto the helm!

It is hard for me to get my son interested in fixing things with me, but he seems to enjoy working on the boat. This weekend, we (mostly he) are going to re-assemble and install the RWP, connect the water hoses, retighten the belts and fire her up. I can't wait!
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 3:26pm
My 95 could use a new steering cable, but I've never replaced one before. My 13 yr old son is never really interested in working on anything, but he sure loves to wakeboard. Maybe I can get him to help me on the cable project and he will get interested.

Glad to hear your son was a big help !
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 7:35pm
David,
Your son will remember those moments for the rest of his life.
Kurt
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 8:21pm
man were the oposide of you guys my brother and i ( me 17 and he 19) does all the work on the boat. my dad just stands there and watch he says we have to learn if something ever happens to us on the ocean that we can help our self.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 8:35pm
My son used to do ALL the work, plus getting ready for vacation. He loved it. Been way more handy than his dad his whole life. Those days were fun....me sitting in the garage...trying to stay outa his way.

Agree as to the cable...MM's bro Keith replaced mine last fall and it is sweet!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by k.o. k.o. wrote:

my dad just stands there and watch

k.o. Didn't he help out that day with the water pump? If I remember correctly, he did quite a job on it with a big hammer!!

My son does help when available especially with the boats. He isn't as mechanically inclined but is learning. It's a pleasure to pass on knowledge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 8:51pm
yup the hammer really did the job well of killing it of course haha when we give up and start telling him we want a new one he begin trying to fix but still doen't get his hands dirty as much if i can remember correct since we owned this boat about a year he never got a sponge to wash it after use ahahha
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 12:30am
Ski Nautique - $10K

Teenage son interested in the same thing you are - Priceless

My son has helped me every step of the way with our boat, no way could I force feed these skills & knowledge.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 11:53am
I agree with all of you. I am just so glad at least one of my three boys (10, 13, 15) wants to help and seems interested. When I was a boy, my Dad fixed everything at home. My job was to assist and hold the flashlight. No matter what he did, he needed me to hold the flashlight. Took me a few years to figure out his strategy...kept me interested and watching.

My dad and I worked on and restored cars together for years, just for the fun of it. Now he is getting up there in the years and we live in different towns, so not much of that kind of bonding going on now a days.

The point is that my dad and I are close for this precise reason. I hope I achieve the same kind of lasting bond with my youngest. He's going to need it
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 7:09pm
Hold the flashlight, scrape the gasket surfaces, clean the parts. Seemed almost like a punishment at the time. Now, pretty great memories. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic