NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air/Fuel Separator

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air/Fuel Separator
    Posted: May-18-2008 at 4:18pm
One thing that drives me nuts about my boat is that unless I pump fuel into it extremely slowly, the fuel kicks back out of the fill hole and all over the boat and/or me. Figuring the vent hose was probably blocked, I took a look back there and sure enough there is a little black plastic attwood fuel/air separator. Looks like a very simple plastic cylinder with 5/8" barbed fittings on each end, and a little rubber ball inside. When I blow air into the input end of the device, the rubber ball blocks my air flow unless I very lightly blow on it.

My gut instinct is to just replace this device with a 5/8" barbed connector and be done with it. Is this a stock device? Any risks in removing it, as in, it being needed for the design of the tank or anything? If anyone has a TSC 1 boat that has had gas spill out of the vent hole, I figure that means that this thing was not standard equipment and I can ditch it. That's all I want to know- was it factory or not.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2008 at 4:31pm
Joel, The fuel/air separator has nothing to do with the engine. It's intent is to keep the EPA happy by keeping the gas from overflowing into the lake.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2008 at 4:41pm
Pete, thanks. Before I got rid of it I just wanted to make sure that it was not there because of the tank design- e.g. I take it out and gas goes all over the place in a turn, etc. I fully understand what it is and I know my previous boat did not have one. I just want to make sure that it is not there for a serious/dangerous reason from the factory. If it isn't, then it's coming out.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 2:27am
Thread jack...sorry

Joel: Just met a friend of yours today. Had a great afternoon. Gonna foot Monday evening.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 10:04am
Who?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 1:57am
Big tall guy. VERY pretty...very pregnat wife, who works at a famous college in South Bend. Seen them again tonite to ski....gonna take 'em out to dinner wednesday to ReidP's favorite central Florida resturant and gonna ski again thursday.

He speaks very highly of you and your wife.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 1:35pm
Awesome. Get that guy up barefooting, will ya? Once he gets it, he'll be hooked. I think longline deep starts are actually good for your back- let the prop wash be your chiropractor!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 1:45am
we're trying...we're trying.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 2:08am
Ditch the wakeboard, drop ski, and all the other toys. The superman start never fails for me in teaching newbies. Good luck Rob!!!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 2:41am
Don't know if we could talk him into that.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joel, The fuel/air separator has nothing to do with the engine. It's intent is to keep the EPA happy by keeping the gas from overflowing into the lake.

The device let's air into the tank, keeps gas from getting out of the tank. In other words, it is a check valve. Problem is that when filling tank, the displaced air has no where to go except out the fill pipe, which plays havoc on auto shut-off pump nozzles.

I purchased a high quality device for this purpose and never installed it on my '93 Ski (because of mounting restriction and space available). The problem is that here in the Austin area, if you are caught letting fuel spill in the water, you can get a citation. Not to mention the marina people giving you a dirty look. The enevitable happens, so many marinas have a solution in a spray bottle that disperses the evidence of the spilled fuel immediately...I guess so no one gets caught and gets into trouble with the lake patrol.

BTW, I have the device still if you want it. I think I got it from Skidim.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 6:32pm
Yep, here is what I have, unused.

Virtually impossible to install on '93 SN in accordance with instructions.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 7:13pm
Thanks David F. I think I'm just going to get a barbed connector and join the hoses directly- that little SkiDim version is EXPENSIVE!

I understand what the check valve is and how it works. The problem is that when the gas is pumped at anything but the slowest possible setting, it sprays gas all over the boat usually all over me at random and shocking intervals because the incoming gas has no volume in the tank due to the inability for air to escape. It wreaks havoc on the pinstripes as well. I was just curious if this was put there by the factory or not due to the tank design for reasons other than just keeping gas out of the environment. I've never heard of these being stock on any ski boat.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 7:34pm
When you replace the hose, make sure you route the hose as high as possible (higher than vent and tank), this will help keep the fuel from spilling out and help keep the water out of the tank.

If you think you have room to mount the air/fuel seperator that I have, you can have it.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 7:59pm
Oh, I think I have room. That would be sweet- I wouldn't be against compensating you to some degree. Fire me an email at joel @ fifteenoff.com and we'll work something out. Thanks for the very generous offer.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 2:18am
Joel: No luck...very valiant effort tho. Maybe next time.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic