Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can’t see

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can’t see
    Posted: May-19-2008 at 1:05am

I have terrible eyesight. When I ski,I can't see the water as well as I'd like. Do any of you ski with contacts or some sort of athletic prescription goggles?

Thanks, Farmer
Watch your fingers.

PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 2:04am
Contacts stay in, only have lost 1 lens in over 7 years.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 2:24am
Ski and foot with soft contact lens. Don't remember ever (10+ years) losing one. My brother uses the prescip goggles. I used goggles over the contacts at first but didn't like them.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 10:22am
I have the same problem I have tried everything from goggles to racquetball glasses. This weekend I bought some new floating sunglasses. They are called Birdz Seahawks I paid around 20 dollars for them. I skied with them Sat. and they worked very well. They did not fog and kept the spray out. I have yet to crash with them on but the first time out they were great.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 1:56pm
Gary,

I used to wear hard contacts and they could fly out, lost several. Then changed to soft contacts. As said above, they don't fly out, but, for me anyway, if you catch any spray in the face, they fill with water and I cant see. I wear cheap ($6-$10) competitive swim goggles. I occasionally get a comment about looking dorky, but I can see and dont lose my lenses.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 2:31pm
I use soft lenses, for footing (or attempting to...) Wakeboarding & (GASP) tubing...lost a couple over the last 5-6 years, but once was footing & a nasty fall & the other was tubing when my buddy was driving like a ***************, going through corners @ 40 to whip me off...yeah, think i might have lost both then actually. But no big deal for 99% of the time, you'll get water in your eyes & wont be able to see for a sec. but blink a bunch of times & you'll be fine...it's pretty tough to wash em out completely, you've gotta fall pretty hard.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 2:44pm
I always wore my soft contacts for everything but barefooting, where I took them out and skied blind. I never lost any (in 10 years), but going under water or catching spray in the face would dislodge them. Not ideal, but definitely better than nothing. This year will be different- I got LASIK in March and now have 20/20... I cant wait for a ski season where I can actually see!
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 9:06pm

Tim,if you had dones the Lasik in the summer months,how long would you have had to stay out of the water.?
Watch your fingers.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 10:05pm
Gary, the surgeon told me I could resume all normal activity in 2-3 weeks. My regular eye doctor is a little more conservative and said to wait ~2 months before waterskiing. It takes ~6 months for the eyes to fully heal.

When I found out I was a good candidate, I scheduled the surgery ASAP (early March) so that it didnt conflict with ski season!
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 11:39pm
I ski with the glasses because I lose a contact any time a tiny bit of water gets into them. If I did not wear glasses I would lose a contact every time that I skied. I have gotten pretty good at catching them and holding them in my mouth until the end of my run.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 12:27am

I guess the best thing would be to try contacts with goggles this summer and try for lasik this winter.(if I get up the nerve to let someone cut my eyes while I'm still conscious) Not hi on my list of things I'd like to try.   Gary
Watch your fingers.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 12:43am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I always wore my soft contacts for everything but barefooting, where I took them out and skied blind. I never lost any (in 10 years), but going under water or catching spray in the face would dislodge them. Not ideal, but definitely better than nothing. This year will be different- I got LASIK in March and now have 20/20... I cant wait for a ski season where I can actually see!

Isn't it amazing Tim, I had lasik about 4 years ago. It will make everything you do so much more enjoyable. My distance vision is incedible unfortunately as I get older my reading vision is going but there are some new procedures for that now too.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 1:53am
Larry: I seen you foot on the barefoot vid from Keith. Would never call you dorky.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 11:19am
Appreciate that john, but that's not what Keith, Tim, Brad, Ken, Karen, Cheney, Lyra Erich, Angela, the little girl next door, the people in the fishing boat, the lunkhead on the jet ski.......said.

(just kidding...they are all very gracious about not telling me I am embarassing them)
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 3:59pm
Tim- you've had amazing results with the LASIK surgery. Aside from the obvious benefit of seeing where you're going, it will be nice not having to fumble around with the lens/cases in the boat anymore

Don't worry Larry, I do plenty to embarass myself out there behind the boat- your goggles are nothing
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 4:26pm
Excuse me Brad, but I believe its not
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by PLBC PLBC wrote:

Contacts stay in, only have lost 1 lens in over 7 years.

1 Lens in over 7 years. For me that was over 7 lenses every year (playing waterpolo, wakeboarding, surfing, swimming, waterskiing, and whatever else you can do in the water), until my bag with glasses and lenses got stolen. Where I decided to not buy new crap again but instead have my eyes lasered. LASIK all the way! Man what a delight to be able to just jump into the water without having to worry about those damn contacts...
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 1:14am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

but that's not what Keith, Tim, Brad, Ken, Karen, Cheney, Lyra Erich, Angela, the little girl next door, the people in the fishing boat, the lunkhead on the jet ski.......said.

AHHHHH....what'da they all know anyhow?

Took Rob Leinen footing with Eddie on Monday. Asked me if I was gonna go in cut-offs. I said..uh no way man...that was years ago.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 1:55am

I occasionally get a comment about looking dorky

Dorky? I think the look BA - like footing with shades on.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 2:16pm

Excuse me Brad, but I believe its not

haha- just goofin with ya Larry.
You and Tim gonna get some runs in tonight?
-Brad
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 2:45pm
Unless Tim is a miracle worker they would be mighty short runs. My boat has one of those new "Quit-running-after-10-minutes-$4 gas-conservation-devices". If he can dis-arm that, maybe. However, given Tim's and my relative knowledge on such things, he'll probably just plug the kanibbling pin back in and everything will be just fine.

Hope so. We'll see.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 3:45pm

he'll probably just plug the kanibbling pin back in and everything will be just fine.

Ha- that would be nice! My first few shots from the hip didnt pan out, so Im not sure Ill be much help- but we'll give it a go. Im bringing my suit just in case.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2008 at 12:18am

Thanks for all the advice. Farmer
Watch your fingers.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic