Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 ignition/batt/starter Major Short

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cncryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cncryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 ignition/batt/starter Major Short
    Posted: May-23-2008 at 2:49am
79 ski tique 302
Starting the engine one day I turned the key to starting position on the ignition switch , immediately I see smoke coming from the battery box, I quickly turned key to the OFF position but it kept smoking on the Positive terminal.
Before i could attempt to disconnect the terminal from the battery itself it just burn in half.This happened in about 10 seconds. I noticed after that it melted the cable a bit back to starter. I would guess the starter hung up and I will get it rebuilt, But before I try to reconnect new starter,battery, possibly ignition switch, that's about all I would know to check. Any other things in the loop that could cause or also be damaged?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 10:00am
cn, Besides having the starter checked, you are correct that you need to find out why power was being feed to it after the key was turned off. The first thing I would check is the starter solenoid. This is the high current relay that feeds the starter. With a starter problem, it is quite possible that the contacts inside welded themselves together. The next thing is, this solenoids coil (pulls the contacts together) is feed 12V from he ignition switch. Make sure the ignition switch is turning the power on and off from the start to run positions. We can give you more info on wire colors, diagrams, etc. if you need them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cncryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cncryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 10:27am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

We can give you more info on wire colors, diagrams, etc. if you need them.

That would be great. Do you need any other information regrading my engine?
Your checklist gives me the starting point I needed.
Thank You..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 10:49am
cn, Do you have a volt/ohm meter? Here's a wiring diagram to look at.

The white wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid is the one that energises the coil in solenoid.

How's your electrical skills?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cncryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cncryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 11:02am

cn, Do you have a volt/ohm meter?

YES, Fluke

Pretty Good
I have a good understanding of electronics and have trouble shooting experience.
Hit me with any suggestions.
Thanks for the wiring diagram.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 11:36am
Originally posted by cncryp cncryp wrote:

cn, Do you have a volt/ohm meter?

YES, Fluke

Pretty Good
I have a good understanding of electronics and have trouble shooting experience.
Hit me with any suggestions.
Thanks for the wiring diagram.

Great! I don't think I'll need to get into a lot of detail. (I wouldn't mind though)

Check for resistance (continuity) across the contacts of the solenoid to make sure they are open and not welded together.
Check to see if you have any voltage to the solenoid coil (white wire) with the ignition switch in all positions except start.
Have the starter checked out. I suggest a decent auto electric shot or one of the better auto supplies. Not a Autozone!
While the starter is off, I would also test the resistance across the solinoid with it's coil enegized just to check out the condition of the contacts. It should be near zero. Wouldn't hurt to just replace the solenoid ether - they aren't that expensive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 12:58pm
You need new battery cables. And possibly a new solonoid. Possibly your cables were corroded and had too much resistance which in turn heated them up to the point of melting. Your solenoid stuck in the closed position because there wasn't enough amperage left over to turn over your starter so it welded the contacts closed. Or your starter could be froze up or shorted which could have caused your problem. Have your starter checked. Either way is sounds like you fried your battery cables. Once they have heated up that much they will be a source of problems from now on so I suggest you replace them.
One final check after you fix those things is to take a voltage reading at the ignition start terminal on your solenoid with your key in the start position with the starter disconnected at the solenoid. Should be very close to the voltage you get when reading the voltage on your battery. If there is a big drop, (8 volts for example) you have another problem we can discuss later.
cncryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cncryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 8:35am
I'll have to wait for my "Economic Stimulus Payment check" before I can get new parts.
Things are kinda tight right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic