Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ski recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ski recommendations
    Posted: May-27-2008 at 8:14pm
looking for a good newer slalom ski. I ski on an old O'brien TRC and am looking forward to an upgrade.

I have looked at the o'brien siege or the connelley concept. Both are in the 350-400 dollar price range.

Any suggestions?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 8:28pm
How old is your TRC? I had the Black and Gold one several years ago, maybe even over a decade ago, liked that ski a lot.

If you have a pro shop that let's you demo nearby, definitely go that route. Lot's of nice ski's out there, the best one depends on your skiing style, ability, etc.
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 8:57pm
mine is black and gold also. Really good ski, accelerates at the turn. Kind of heavy now though. I skied on a "good" and it was very light and very fast. The guy paid 1,100 for it though. I also skied on the o'brien seige, much slower than the TRC but was a good ride overall. I felt like a had a little better control of it. I thought about just putting new bindings on the TRC and being done with it

thanks!
NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 1:43am
I have a 67" D-3 Nomad for sale, one season old bought it last year. I usually only ski one season per ski. Its $250.00 plus shipping if your interested. IT has HO binding pattern and is sold blank with no bindings. (HO, wileys and Obrien are the same binding pattern.)
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 10:37am
jeff,
could you email pictures please.

or just give me a call at 625-995-4089
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 2:10pm
I recommend the Connelly. I've skied on an F3 Concept for a few years now and love it.
Overtons sells factor blems for a good price. I'd go that route if you can't find one on 'ski it again', CL or eBay.
-Brad
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by NCH2OSKI NCH2OSKI wrote:

I have a 67" D-3 Nomad for sale, one season old bought it last year. IT has HO binding pattern and is sold blank with no bindings. (HO, wileys and Obrien are the same binding pattern.)

As well as 04+ Connelly, on the front at least.

If anyone has a 66" 04+ Concept or System 8 I'm interested.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by NCH2OSKI NCH2OSKI wrote:

I have a 67" D-3 Nomad for sale, one season old bought it last year. I usually only ski one season per ski. Its $250.00 plus shipping if your interested. IT has HO binding pattern and is sold blank with no bindings. (HO, wileys and Obrien are the same binding pattern.)

That's a good deal. I'd be interested in that but I have a set of D-3 bindings on my KD7000. Ironic that those won't fit.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 4:29pm
I have a Concept I bought in April 07, unfortunately I dont' have a review on it because the day after it came in the mail I wrecked my ankle so I never got to use it. Hoping to cure that in about a week and half and will report back.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 5:04pm
Since my TRC have owned the following:
OB Synergy Z - Faster than TRC, better turning
OB G4 Siege - Fastest ski I have ever owned, tough starts, ski hated going straight, took you for a ride, brakes extremely hard
Connelly F1 - Nice all around ski, fast and responsive, skied similar to G4 all around just slightly less radical
HO Vengeance - Great all around ski, very user friendly, preforms well in rough water, nice ski, a little slow, faster smoother then TRC.
HO System 8 - Faster then Vengeance, still user friendly, turns better, moderate braking

Some ski's I have ridden more then once:
HO Triumph - Too slow for my taste, felt like I could push it off its edge, nice friendly ski though
Connolly F1X - very Similar to the Vengeance, thought the Vengeance was just a tad quicker and smoother however.

A used Vengeance or F1X would both be relatively inexpensive very nice skis, IMO both would be quite a bit faster and easier to ski on then the TRC.

Good Luck.

shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 5:17pm
quinner,
check this out

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA06047
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 5:36pm
Let Tad and Seth know You will give them $100 for that ski.

That's not a bad buy, FWIW in 05' I paid around $450 for mine new with Approach binding and RTP.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 4:51am
I love the Goode skis, I'm skiing a 2007 9600 and I think it's the best Goode makes. They are very light and fast, but a little hard to control for some folks. You can find them used for around $500 still in great shape. I've never been able to kick down the $1100 either.

Great skis though I think worth the money if you can do it.
Work to live, not live to work.

shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 4:21pm
alright. i have found two skis.

2005 HO vengeance 200 bucks with no bindings

or

2003 Goode 9500 $250 with bindings.

For the average intermediate skier, is the Goode ski too aggressive?

thanks
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 4:43pm
If the Goode is in good shape you will like it better in the long run. 2003 is old enough that it could be pretty worked so do a little research. The Goode skis are aggressive but once you adjust to it you will love it.
Work to live, not live to work.

shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 1:19pm
can anyone comment on the D3/X5 skis?
NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 2:17pm
Shawn,

D-3 skis usually are very forgiving, and tend to carve turns in an s style VS HO skis Z style. That is a pretty broad statement, but sort of sums it up. I looked for your email to send some photos but it wasnt published.

Keith, Its only about 6 or 8 screws and a plate change to convert from HO to KD bindings on the rear. Cost of a new plate is aprox 25.00

I have it listed on ski it again also:
http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA06200
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 2:42pm
jeff,
thanks for the advice. my email is mshawnmcfarland@yahoo.com

I have never skied in the hard shell bindings before. Is there a major difference vs. Targa boots??

thanks in advance.

shawn
NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 3:02pm
Shawn,

The ski is sold blank, there are no hardshell bindings inlcuded. You can use your existing Obrien bindings from your ski.

Sent you an email with 4 photos.

Feel free to email or post any questions.

Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 3:04pm
I just got a 2006 66" HO System 8 with HO Venom Binding off of Craigslist for $175 in great shape. I needed to get new binding for it b/c they were to small. It is a great ski. I have a (M) HO Fitted Rear Toe Plate for sale if someone is interested in it. If you keep an eye out there you can find great deals.

Old Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 10:47pm
Well... let me toss my recommendation out there.
I ski on a '06 67 inch Connelly F1 at 34mph. Its not the fastest but turns well and offers no surprises and skies good in rough water.

Jetski180- where do you ski in Orlando?
99/90/80 Ski Nautique
Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2008 at 2:23pm
I ski on Lake Brantley which is in Longwood, in North Orlando.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2008 at 5:15pm
Almost bought a house over there. We ski on Lake Pearl close to UCF.
99/90/80 Ski Nautique
Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2008 at 5:36pm
Know exactly where that is. I have been out on that lake about 6 years ago with a girl I use to work with. If that lake is anything like mine I am sure you can use some more rain.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2008 at 7:42pm
yep.... its about 3 feet deep at the 1 ball
99/90/80 Ski Nautique
Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 12:24pm
Lake Brantley Is still nice and deep. I just have to walk the boat through the end of the canel so I can get out. Good luck with the rain hopefully we can get some this summer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 12:44pm
wasn't there a problem with apple snails a few years ago? Still have that?
99/90/80 Ski Nautique
Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 1:15pm
There was a problem with snails but that has been cleaned up for a year or two now. The only problem now is we need water, and since the lake is low there has been some weeds growing from the bottom of the lake now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 7:13pm
Tournament ski? barefoot? course skier?
99/90/80 Ski Nautique
Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2008 at 12:54pm
I barefoot on a regular basis. I usually just drop a ski to make it easer. I will ski the course once and a while, but mainly just ski for the enjoyment of sking. I also enjoy wakeboarding and wakeskating. I just love to be out on the water. What about you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic