Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

radio component locations on 90 Sport

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: radio component locations on 90 Sport
    Posted: May-30-2008 at 12:51am
I have a 90 Sport Nautique that came with no radio... two questions:

Anyone know where the head unit and speakers were located from the factory?

Ideas on where I could locate a sub?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 2:19am
I'm not postive regarding the 90 sport. On a 90 Ski Nautique, the radio was mounted in the glove box.

Again, I've not seen a sub mounted in a 90 sport. In general, people will mount the sub behind the kick panel under the steering wheel if there is room. If not, then under the passenger console. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Rlbol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rlbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 4:07pm
Did you ever get a stereo?
I have a similar boat and planning on installing a head unit but not sure where to put it and which speakers fit and are the best for that install
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 4:16pm
Just did a total install of sub, 2 amps and speakers in my 92 Sport. If you're still looking for info, let me know.

Mounted the sub in a box behind the observer's kick panel. Also installed two Alpine PDX solid-state MOFFSET amps...300 watts direct to the sub, and up to 150 to each speaker. I did the install in the back building of my buddy's body shop. When I finished, I gave it a bit of a test (okay, a HUGE test). They all came running back to hear it for themselves. Apparently they could hear it over their pneumatic tools! It sounds awesome.
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2008 at 1:46pm
Sounds cool... where did you put the other speakers?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2008 at 2:23pm
The four speakers were mounted in the combing pads that run fwd to aft on the sides. Two speakers front, two rear (standard place for them).

The Alpine PDX amps may be pricey, but the performance is unparalleled. I have them set up to feed the four 6.5" speakers w/ the highs and all lows go to the sub via a second PDX amp that is bridged to feed it 300 watts.

The sub is an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQ that you can tune with large metal rings that fine-tune the sub to the enclosure or mounting type. The sub is mounted in an enclosed box that is made for a truck..it's sloped so it's narrower on the top than on the bottom (7" bottom, 6" top). I positioned the box directly behind the kick panel in front of the observer's seat. Then cut a hole in the kick panel and mounted a sub grill on it, then positioned the box and put the kick panel back up. Because of clearance issues, I ended up having to mount the kick panel about 1 inch further aft than the factory position, but you cant tell at all. I did add some brackets from the rear of the kick panel to the top of the sub box and fiberglass area near the cubby hole door. (The kick panel is "heavy" because I mounted both amps on it next to the sub grill. This "heaviness" resulted in my wanting to add some brackets to hold it all nice and firm).

The end result is that if you were to get down on your hands and knees and look at the kick panel, you'd see the sub grill and two amps. If you look in the left cubby hole door, you'd see the rear part of the sub box. There was enough room on top of the box to mount the positive distribution block which has two fuses in it, making the fuses easily accessible, should they need changing.

I mounted the main fuse (125V) near the battery to protect the wire run from the battery to the forward distribution block...it's recommended to have that fuse 18" or less from the battery so as to protect the wiring from any potential shorts. The ground lead ran from the engine block up to a distribution block also mounted on top of the sub box. The biggest challenge was how to run the positive and negative wires from the bilge up to and in the cubby hole area where all the wiring needs to be. I cut a hole from the bilge to the ski locker, ran the wire inside the ski locker then another hole into the top and side of the ski locker abeam the left cubby hole area, then another small hole thru the floor in the cubby hole area to allow wiring access there. I wanted to make sure I didn't drill into the stringers so took a sight of the stringers and made sure to drill thru the floor inboard of the stringer. I hit the "foam stuff" inside the hull (good, not the stringer!), ran the wires, and sealed the hole with the 3M 8200 adhesive sealant (per suggestions from the good folks on this board), NOT silicone.

Another help was removing the glove box which allowed me good access to the wiring behind the kick panel (to tidy it up) as well as making the brackets, fastening them, etc.

I'm using two four-channel amps. One feeds the four 6.5" speakers and the other currently feeds the sub thru bridging two of the four channels. The install allows me 2 more channels for tower speakers when I install a tower on the boat.

The system sounds amazing. Even my "how much did you spend on this sound system?" wife said it sounded incredible.

Hope that helps!

Rlbol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rlbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 1:16am
Will you post some pictures of it as well as the head unit?
thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 7:01am
FYI the radio head unit was mounted in the glove box originally. When I bought my boat, it had been moved to the area to the left of the steering wheel and near the ignition switch. It involved cutting the plastic labeled dash area but they installed an In Dash Radio Cover with the head unit inside.

I have a JVC head unit and left it there. They "plugged" the hole in the glove box with a black piece of plastic that is glued on from the back side. It looks fine. In the area to the left of where the stereo was mounted in the glove box is a small recessed area. I installed a 12V outlet there and have placed a "DLO Transdock Micro" FM transmitter so we can hook up an iPod, place it in the glove box where it can be protected, and transmit to the head unit. It works and sounds great.

Here's a link to the FM transmitter that fits perfectly in the glove box (and comes highly rated...our experience is the same. We have 3 and there's never any static). DLO Trans Dock Micro

I can post some photos but it'll be a while. The boat is at our lake house which is a couple hours away and --WORK-- always seems to keep me away during this busy travel season.

I will take pics and post when able.

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 9:11pm
I am not sure how it is on a '92, but on my '89, there is not much room behind that port kick panel. Also, my glove box is forward facing and if it is removable, I am not sure how to do it. For running wires, I did it it the same way, except I ran mine behind the combing pad inside a plastic wire conduit(not really sure what the correct name for it is). This way I did not have to cut any holes anywhere and the wires are all hidden away. To run from the port side (amp) to starboard (head) I ran the remote, power, speaker wire under the teak joint between the carpet area and the glassed area. My head unit has always been located just to the left of the steering wheel above the ignition.   Maybe not stock, but looks like it. I used a standard automotive head unit from best buy. Bought the 4 year warranty and made sure it covered water damage. Have not had a problem yet in the first year.

I can probably get pictures for you this week.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
trh250r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trh250r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 11:41am
I just purchased a new head unit (an upgrade from the tape deck that was in the boat)

When doing so i noticed the old wiring harness had both the front and rear speakers on each side connected through the same ground wire.

I tried hooking up my new wiring harness to it but when i turned my volume up, it shut my new head unit off. Is there to much feeding power and not enough ground wire? Im probably going to rewire each speaker with its own ground per my new wiring harness.

Any suggestions on how to run the speaker wire from passenger to driver side? i have not really investigated it yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 7:21pm
The head unit should have a wiring diagram either ON it or with it. Each speaker circuit should have it's own color coded wires, ie grey and grey/black for RH FWD, etc. Wire each speaker up to it's associated wires from the head unit wiring harness. The head unit itself should have it's own ground wire which you need to make sure goes to a good, solid ground location. It should also have an "always hot" power lead (to keep the memory), a switched power lead (for the unit itself) and probably a blue wire for a remote turn-on for any connected amp.

If the head unit is shutting off, it's probably a built-in short protection circuit. You need to correct the wiring issue before you damage it.

Good luck,

Dave
trh250r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trh250r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 1:26am
well i wired everything per the wiring harness diagram, i am still running into the issue with my cd player turning off at mid volume, even if i add extra bass this will shut it off

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 1:56am
Hmm...hard to say but I'd say something is still mis-wired. It is shutting off from either lack of a good ground or power source, or a short in the wiring. Where are you pulling your power from?
trh250r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trh250r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 2:30am
I wired it through the existing hotwire and ground that my original set up was hooked to, tomorrow I am going to wire directly from my harness to my battery, can't get a better power feed or ground then that. I'll update when I do this
trh250r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trh250r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 10:36pm
Daveinator:

I wired each speaker at a time. Each time i did this, i could run the volume as high as i wanted without crashing the head unit. When i put them all together and played all 4 speakers at the same time, it worked, but i still had a power failure after i tried to go extremly loud. I believe im not pushing enough power through my battery. what do you think? Theres no wiring issues from hot wire or ground to my speakers. It has to be my hot wire from the energy source right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 10:55pm
I think you're asking too much from the head unit. I'd suggest you put in an amp and let the amp put the volume out that you are asking for. If you overwhelm the head unit and it cant draw the current to put out over four speakers, that is a huge load for a head unit that is not able to power all of that at such a volume. Buy a decent amp. You can get one on Craigslist if you're on a serious budget but go with a name brand and something that has four channels. I bought a super nice Alpine PDX amp w/ 150 watts per channel.

You will then totally disconnect all the speakers from the head unit and run wires (probably standard red/white RCA cables) from the head unit to the amp (hopefully your head unit has amp outputs). Then wire the speakers to the amp. You will need to wire in the power and ground to the amp itself, and it's generally a good idea to run a thick guage wire from the battery to the amp with a good strong fuse at the end. To get the right guage wire, Google "amp wire calculator". There are tons of EBay sellers that sell amp wiring kits...careful you don't go with a cheapie no-name brand but you can get a good one for not much $$. Run the power and ground from the battery up to under the dash. The kit will include a fuse block, terminals, etc...everything you need to wire the amp (and stereo) and give them the power they need. Most will include the RCA cables to connect the amp to the head unit.

Then you will have plenty of power for the amp as well as the head unit. You will need to connect the blue wire from the head unit to the amp so the amp will turn on when you turn on the head unit.

That is really the only fix for your situation. You're overloading your head unit. It doesnt have the power to drive all the speakers at the volume you're asking for.

Good luck.

Dave
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 11:23pm
There is no grounding of speaker wires they are just marked +ve & -ve. What is the impedance recommendations of the head unit? Normally it is 4 ohm. At the head unit normally the -ve speaker wires have a black tracer down the same colour as the +ve for that channel.

If you wire two speakers in parallel to the one channel(i.e. white & white/black) you will reduce the total impedance(resistance) and this will cause the head unit to overdrive and if the head unit has thermal protection it will shut down.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
trh250r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trh250r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 12:12am
ok thanks for the info
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic