NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Check out JBear!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check out JBear!!!!!
    Posted: June-01-2008 at 3:51pm
I just wanted to share with everyone John's latest accomplishments. I've been working with him since last Oct. on this and I think he's finally got it.

He's been working really hard but the progress just hasn't been there for him until the last few weeks. I must say that I'm pretty proud of him. He's gone from the trainers and the boom as high as it goes to this in three weeks. There were a number of boom height adjustments with and without trainers in those three weeks and he's been nailing almost all of his starts now.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!!!!!

The ducktail on the front of his head is really gay but he is going bacerds so I guess in some weird way it's still OK.

Congrats John!!!!!!!!!!!

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2008 at 9:24pm
wow that's awesome!! congratulations John!!!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 12:02am
The only thing is you can't see where you're going?!!? LOL

Very nice John, wish I could do that! Eddie, maybe you could give me a few pointers someday?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 5:57am
John... mucho great!!

Eddie... you got ten days to teach me that next year, when Chantal and I will come over... LOL
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 9:21am
Way to go John, thats awesome.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 10:17am
I knew it!! i thought i recognized him, he use to play for the "flock of Seagulls"
i bet he owns stock in Ben Gay lol
good job John
"the things you own will start to own you"
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 10:54am
Nice job jbear! congrats on the accomplishment!
-Brad
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 3:58pm
Yeah buddy! Once I saw the post by Eddie I knew what was inside, congratulations!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 4:14pm
JBear you stud! It's cool when us old dogs learn new tricks!! Great Job Jbear and Eddie!!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 4:15pm
You've set the bar pretty high for us oldsters John. Bacerds is definitely on my to-do list this summer. Tim gave me some tips last season, but I didnt get too far. This season (and with my own boom now, which will help) I'm determined to make it.

Good for you, you are an inspiration.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 11:29pm
I gotta give Eddie a congrats as well. I know how good of a teacher he is. I'm thinking he had something to do with pulling jbear out of his 25 year bacerds retirement!!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:14am
Thanks guys!

Believe me...most of the credit goes to my friend, ski partner, coach, driver; backfoot100. A very patient person. Don't exactly know how he stuck with me thru this. Went a long time without making any progress...then all of a sudden I got it. What a thrill.

Thanks go to Eddie's wife JoAnn for the great pictures.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:42am
Congrats on the step up Jbear.

You have inspired me to give footing a try next season. Who said you cant teach an old dog new tricks. You look to be a similiar year model to myself jbear. How does the body take the falls these days. I try to keep up with my 20 year old kids on the wakeboard & often pay the pain penalty.

I remember the first time I was in a ski boat with a footer behind. He was about 18 years old and was going very well all of a sudden things went wrong and I remember seeing his body contort as he hit & tumbled. He got back in the boat and was very quiet for the next few days. I made a mental note that day if it hurts a 18 year old that much I was past learning this water sport.

Since then I have much more watersking, kneeboarding and wake boarding experience but every time I think of giving footing a go the memory of his contorted body returns.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 12:57pm
Buffalo and Kristof,
I'd be happy to work with you guys anytime. Just come on down.
I certainly planned on skiing with Kristof and Chantal when they come here next year anyway.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 11:26am
Nice John! Glad to see you are still out there.
Larry's correct that you are setting the bar pretty high for us old guys!
Now you need to get out there real retro with only a Speedo and a ski belt on. No BF suit!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 11:34am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

with only a Speedo ... No BF suit!!

That would make those back deep starts something to remember
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:20pm
Larry,

Used to bring Alex to train with this guy in Adams, Wisco, up near the Dells, skied on his Cranberry farm holding ponds, worked on Trick/Jump/Barefoot, he was an amazing skier, used to jump in with nothing but shorts and do back deeps, front to backs, whatever.

Eddie you may have know of him or his brothers, all show skiers, IIRC Cary Talszman was his name.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 1:06pm
Chris,

Remember some of the clips from Johnny's video of HW doing deepwater starts on the boom with just shorts on. I guess it can be done.

There are some great clips on Johnny's video. The younger guys are great. When they wipe out they hold on just to beat themselves a little bit sillier in an attempt to get upright again. Love it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Larry,

Used to bring Alex to train with this guy in Adams, Wisco, up near the Dells, skied on his Cranberry farm holding ponds, worked on Trick/Jump/Barefoot, he was an amazing skier, used to jump in with nothing but shorts and do back deeps, front to backs, whatever.

Eddie you may have know of him or his brothers, all show skiers, IIRC Cary Talszman was his name.

Quinner,
You're right. His name is Kerry Tolzman. He skied with Badgerland for a couple years when I was on the team. Awesome skier. He's the only guy to date who has qualified for and skied in barefoot nationals and traditional three event nationals in the same year. He's also one of the only guys left in the country that barefoot jumps feet to feet. He doesn't go as long as the inverted guys are going but it's cooler than hell to watch him jump. His brother is awesome too and both skied for Tommy Bartlett for years.

I went up to his place a couple years to help him harvest his cranberries in the fall. I love skiing there. He dug out those man made lakes himself with a Caterpillar. I've been up there a number of times to get some instruction and just to ski. Since I helped with his cranberries, he's always told me I can come up there anytime I want.

He had a training school there one time for women only that I took my daughter up to for the day when she was in high school. He brought in Jennifer Leachman to teach it and it was amazing to watch her.

It's been a while since I've talked with him. He's very good at about any skiing regimin you can think of and an awesome instructor too. Well worth your time to go up there.

Eddie
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 2:17pm
Eddie,

Figured you knew Kerry. Lot's of skiers from the Aquanut's trained with Kerry, that is how we ended up there. He was definitely a ski Bum, and I do remember seeing his feet to feet jumping, very cool stuff! At the end of the day he would always give me a few sets, always worked on jumping. Part of his teaching philosophy was "trick" is the foundation of all skiing events, seemed to be his favorite event to teach as well.

Sadly I heard he lost or sold the farm a few years ago, have no idea, but no doubt he is a very interesting guy and a great instructor, really enjoyed our time up there and Alex's skiing really improved as a result.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 3:44pm
CQ,

Ya know, I heard that he was having some issues at the farm. Before I left WI, he was talking about buying a ski resort in Montana I think. He was thinking that he could run the cranberry farm and ski school in WI during the summer and then after the cranberry harvest head to Montana to run the resort for the winter. Haven't heard anything from him since then. I know at one point in time he was trying to sell parcells of his property along side the lakes for high end lake homes. Have no idea how either of those ventures turned out.

Eddie
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 10:27am
good reading
"the things you own will start to own you"
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 1:41am
Good Job!

Now its time to learn baccerds step offs!!!

Ill def. be down next spring and will have to ski with you guys some morning!!

Tim

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 2:00am
I don't know about the step-offs tim...2 of my friends from West Shore taught themselves that way and it did not look easy. The way Eddie teaches it is way easier than I thought. I am actually getting pretty regular ...make way more than I miss.

We would be glad to see ya next winter. I know a group from Chippewa comes down to Lake Roy every March.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 2:32am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I am actually getting pretty regular

That's great news JBear, do you think the deepwater starts in a speedo had anything to do with it?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 2:45am
You know something quinner...you might have something there. Deepwaters were learnt in cut-off blue jeans tho...not speedos.

john

Now there is a word eric can appreciate 'LEARNT"
"Loud pipes save lives"

adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 3:23am
Congratulations Jbear,but judging by the pictures above, looks like you had to make the choice
between spending your money on either Hairspray or Absorbine Jr that week!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2008 at 2:48am

Any guesses on which he chose?!?!?
-Adam

1973 Skier
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

You've set the bar pretty high for us oldsters John. Bacerds is definitely on my to-do list this summer. Tim gave me some tips last season, but I didnt get too far. This season (and with my own boom now, which will help) I'm determined to make it.

Good for you, you are an inspiration.

John, As you can imagine, I couldn't let that challenge stay unanswered for too terribly long. My form isn't quite where yours is yet and I gotta ditch the sneakers in another outing or two, but I gotta say, this felt pretty good.

Thanks for your tips on the phone the other night...really helped.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 4:20pm
Larry: That is so cool! Looks like you used the "height of the boom" tip for sure. Now that you have the feel for it...you can lower the boom and ditch the shoes, just like I did with the trainers. Eddie only let me stay on them a few times after I got it. After a time or two you won't need 'em anyhow.

Again...way cool! Who's driving?

john

Was just looking for your phone number so I could call. Lost it. But if you wanna cut the spray, crazy as it sounds, feet gotta be closer together. My coach (Eddie) is forever hollering at me.
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic