NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wakeboard suggestions for beginners?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wakeboard suggestions for beginners?
    Posted: June-02-2008 at 1:55am
I'm looking for 2 wakeboard suggestions. Any suggestions for an all around inexpensive board for my kids? They are 7 and 10, both have kneeboarded just a few times.

I'm also curious about an entry level board for an old fat guy like myself to have some fun with them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 2:11am
Need to know height weight and footsize of the kids to determine if they can ride the same board.

Need to know your height and weight to suggest the proper length board.

Hyperlite Motive has always been a very good beginner to advanced intermediate board, and it comes 5 or 5 sizes from very small for kids 119, to a 144 for tall and/or heavy riders.

What's the budget?

There are lots of others out there, but I'd have to look them up 1 off. Motives are readily available and there are some pretty good deals on the web.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 10:53am
We got a wake board from CWB that has pivoting (to open) bindings, I believe that is their exclusive design.. They are very easy to get on. I would recommmend them.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 11:24am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Need to know height weight and footsize of the kids to determine if they can ride the same board.

Need to know your height and weight to suggest the proper length board.

BKH

My 7 year old boy is what I'd call a typical 7 year old in height and weight, he's pretty thin, and shoe size is around 1 right now. 10 year old is a girl, 80'ish pounds, size 3 shoe. I'm 5'10" and running around 210 these days.

Thanks,
chris
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 3:03pm
This is the best deal I've come across for the kids. Right size, and right binding for both of them. Unfortunately, it's the girly graphics, and your son may revolt

Hyperlite Divine 119 and bindings $149

The same site, US wakesuppy has a Hyperlite Motive for 129$. You would probably want a 140 cm. You would need to find binding you like. For you, I recommend you spend more time and money on boots, and worry less about the board.

In general your kids are light. I'd say 118 to 120 would be a good length. With their feet sizes, you should be able to find an adjustable kids boot to share, for now. I did some quick searches and found the hyperlite motive 119 starting at $99. I saw multiple kids adjustable boots in the $50-$60 range. google.com, and froogle.com, are great starting points, as is ebay. Some of the wakeboard gear sites are evogear.com, grizzly-sports.com, uswakesupply.com, wakegiant.com, munsonski.com, boardersmall.com, adrenalinesports.com.

For you, given your weight, and given you are a beginner, I'd say the board should be 138-142. Given you height, I would personallby be looking for a 138 to 140. Get a binding that fits well, and is comfortable.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you any questions I might help you with. BKH
Livin' the Dream

freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 1:03am
Thanks for information, this is very helpful. What about something like these for me?

Hyperlite Cruise

Hyperlite Motive
jsmith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 1:13am
I have the CWB "hinge tech" bindings that SNobsessed was referring to and I love them! Very easy to get in and my foot feels "locked in" when I ride. These were my 2nd pair of bindings and I don't think I'll be changing any time soon. Check out ebay I have the "torq" bindings as they where the cheapest avail. at the time. They now have several entry level "hinge tech" bindings to chose from. IMO you won't be sorry if you choose them. As for the size of the boards bkhallpass sounds right on in the direction he's pointing you.   Good luck getting started. Both the boards you have links to IMO will work just be sure you take some dish soap or binding slime to get into those bindings, you'll probably need it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:53am
I don't care for the Cruiser because I don't like the swallow tail shape. I believe you are better off to stick with more of a blunt nose board.

I don't care for the Motive you've highlighted because of the bindings. They stuck the board with Hydroslide, not Hyperlite bindings. The Hydroslides aren't real good bindings.

A couple of guys have mentioned CWB. Folks who use them, swear by them. I just don't know much about them. All the companies will have an appropriate board. Keep doing some digging. There are better deals, for better gear. Here's one for Ronix. BKH

Ronix Venue 140 w/ Divide Bindings
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 3:10am
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 3:14am
One last thing. The Hyperlite Motive you referenced above is a 144. If you are going to go that big, it will be easy to get up, easy to cruise around. You may find the board a bit big if you start trying to do tricks.

If you are going to go for a 144, Boardersmall.com has a 144 Motive with Hyperlite bindings for $179 which is a better price than the board you site above and has better bindings.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 10:50am
Great finds and advise. I really appreciate it! As much as I can envision myself doing "tricks", I'm not sure how realistic that is for me. :-)

I noticed most of these have holes for fins. Do they come with them or is this an add on? Should I add them or no?

chris
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:22am
I dont think 144 would be to big. Most of the pro's are now riding 140 plus for the extra pop from the larger surface area. Not many pro's are 210lbs. Randy is a big unit though, most of the others would be lucky to make 160lbs.

As BKHall stated spend a bit more on good quality bindings.

Most mid-high end boards have moulded fins plus a larger removable centre fin. As a beginner the removable center fins are required as you progress you can remove them when you have better edge control and get used to the slippery feel for surface tricks.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:33am
I've got a pair of OBrien Mac Wraps, (bindings), size medium that I would sell for $25. They'll probably 10 years old, but were used about 3 times. They are like new. I bought them for my kids when they were early teens, but the size runs small and I had to order size large for them. They are comparable to a normal size small.
jsmith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 2:24am
Another source for boards and gear- boardersbestbuy.com. They have a one day,one deal thing going on. Lots of hyperlite,cwb gear on there. Package deals, ropes, handles,etc. As for the big board... I'm 255lbs, I ride a 144 CWB factor '06. Started on a old 140 CWB twist it was fine to get started on. I'm looking at the Mauris 140 or the Pure 140 both CWB for my next board. I have a local dealer that sells it and he also does all my boat work so I stay loyal. Anyway there's my 2cents.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by jsmith jsmith wrote:

Another source for boards and gear- boardersbestbuy.com.   I ride a 144 CWB factor '06.

Boarders best buy rocks.You just have to wait for the right product to come on sale.Look for something with a continous rocker vs 3 stage.More forgiving and usually faster on the water= less work for you.BKH is on the right track with the motive.I ride a Player143 which I bought big for the softer landings.With my knees,the soft landing is the most important thing.

JSmith...how do you like the Faction??Looking to retire the Player and was thinking about one of those or a Transcend or Marius.

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
jsmith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2008 at 1:41am
05210 The Faction is a nice board form what I've heard but I haven't riden it. The Transcend is sweet, and on that note my dealer just told me that this year's Pure the the same design as the Transcend of last year and recommended that I try that one and save myself some money. The Marius is also nice. It's one of the widest boards out there and makes getting up easy for a big man like myself. It also has a ton of pop if that's what you're looking for. if you get on CWB's website and look for dealer's there are some as mine is that offer "try before you buy" very nice to do when you're spending $400-$600 on a board and bindings package.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 4:59am
Boardersbestbuy.com has the Hyperlite Divine 119 for $79. BBC.com puts up a deal of the day each day, and it's only good for that day.

So, if you're looking for a wakeboard for your young daughter (the 119 is only good for up to 105 lbs or so), boardersbestbuy.com has a pretty good deal going Sunday June 22.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 5:17am
Don't for get to check ski-it-again.com It's a great source for used gear. I've found some almost new stuff for less than half the price of new.
Work to live, not live to work.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 3:37am
Boardersbestbuy.com has the Ronix Vault 144 as its daily special tomorrow for $99. That's a smoking deal on a board for bigger guys. BKH
Livin' the Dream

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 3:26pm
I taught my daughter @ age 5 off a boom on a Hyperlite Voyager 121 which was the smallest board I could find at the time. Her brother (6) is using that one now and she (now 9) is on a CWB with Hinge bindings. She loves the in / out ease.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 5:08am
I have a little different take...I would skip the enty level board and get and intermed -adv....you can pick up boards on ebay (close outs) for real bargains. Might as well get one you ride for a while as you advance. Most pro style boards have a removable center fin that helps a bit a first and can be removed when you can handle a looser ride.I really don't feel pro level boards are harder to learn on...thet just give you better performance when you progress and need the benefit.
Also....I would get some upper end bindings....much better compfort , support and take more abuse.

Gator boards....good stuff...great prices! Get the Randy Harris....it's way too fast...after a few cold ones even the old guys can scare them selves.

The right board size will be the biggist factor(IMO)Ronix vault at 100.00 144....can't go wrong!

CWB surge is a great board for the little riders....think those are 124 or 126. Pro style board for youths. My 7 year old rides one...he is very advanced but his friends who we have started for the first time up have done very well on that board.

Mike ....the Transcend is a great ride. My 17 year old rides one....he is doing several inverts and advanced spins...it gets the pop! I have been on it several times...it does land soft....not as fast as the Harris but pops better and is softer in the flats. Breaks loose really easy too. as for me....the Harris...because I am old school and take a slalom cut...loose control....crash hard just to scare the crap out of everyone! Landings don't really matter to me because all are hard when you miss them!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 3:40pm
Is Liquid Force Trip 138 a good fit for me??

172#s 5'11'' I am 38 years old and have been skiing since I was a kid.

I want to get one soon. But, I don't have anyone around that could loan me one to try out.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 6:46pm
Size is correct for you. Trip is a solid everyday board. Right in the middle of the spectrum. It's been around since 97, but they've redesigned it a couple of time with modern features like molded fins, and variable edges.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

Look for something with a continous rocker vs 3 stage.More forgiving and usually faster on the water= less work for you.

Immediately following size, this should be your second concern. Get a nice comfortable smooth riding/landing board. If I did that on my first board I might still be riding today.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

Look for something with a continous rocker vs 3 stage.More forgiving and usually faster on the water= less work for you.

Immediately following size, this should be your second concern. Get a nice comfortable smooth riding/landing board. If I did that on my first board I might still be riding today.

Well, this is half right. A continous rocker board is generally more forgving and will have a softer landing. A three stage rocker will actually accelerate faster, but will be tougher on the landing. Also, advanced boards either continuous or three stage will have very strong edges. Great for cutting. Also makes it easy to catch an edge and face plant.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 10:10pm
    I picked up a liquid force witness 140 in late July.Really fun board to ride,real smooth and consistent,lands soft,have only caught an edge once(which wasn't much fun).Paired it up with the transit bindings(super comfy) I love it.   The Trip is a fast board from what I hear.Haven't ridden one.
   Boarders Best Buy has some good deals going on for sure.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 12:33pm
Thanks for the input

What about a Liquid Force Substance????

I have been water skiing for 25 years. Would I have the balance to handle it at first??

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 1:52pm
Randall,

With 25 years water skiing, you are going to be able to get up and ride on any board. It's just not that hard. However, the Substance has an aggressive three stage rocker. The impact of a three stage is much rougher on landing than a continuous rocker board. It will also be easier to learn surface spins with a continuous rocker. I would recommend you stay with a continuous rocker board. Free advise, take it for what it's worth. BKH
Livin' the Dream

randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 5:17pm
Thanks BKH. I appreciate the help. I may keep asking questions about different models.

Like anything else, I bet a few minutes of good instruction from someone would go a long way. But, I don't know anyone that can show me the basics.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 5:59pm
Hyperlite Motive Still one of the best boards out there to learn on. Frankly, for most of us 40ish average Joes, it is as much wakeboard as we would ever need. $129 at uswakesupply.com.

Evogear.com has the CWB Faze with Seven boots for $219.

Personally, I would worry about the boots more than the board. You can find boards cheap. If I were not buying a combo board/binding package, like the Faze combo above, I would buy the best binding I could afford. Comfortable and supportive. Then choose a board to put under them. If you move boards, you'll still love your boots.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic