NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Redneck Perfect Pass

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 8:31pm
The humming bird works like a champ! Easy to install and has never failed me. It is a little slow but nothing to bad to wakeboard with.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

I came apon this thread before I was even a member here.I managed to hook up a gps puck and set the unit to read like a gm tranny with a pulse sensor.After dialing it in a bit it worked very well.I payed 80 for the unit and 200 for the puck but I am sure the puck has come down by now.

I'd like to know more about this F&F, since I got a unit too and plan to build it in my boat this winter...

BTW, Akabulla did something similar on his boat:

Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

Well I found exactly what I was looking for. It is a GPS sender to replace your paddle wheel. It works with all electrical type speedo devices. The paddle wheel was $112 and this device is $210 after converting it from Australian currency.   So for a little more than $100 over the paddle wheel I will have GPS and get to use my matching speedo and don't have to cut a hole in my boat! Perfect pass will have to wait till next summer. Here is a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.hummingbirdelectronics.com.au/senders.html

Once I get it installed I will let you know how it works!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 1:39pm
Well I've got the thing now so it's going on whatever, but I'd be curious to know what morfoot thought of the pull.
Easily Parted From Money
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 11:19am
That is the kit I used on Karens ,works great. Keeping the magnets secured to the coupler was the biggest pain, epoxy will not hold.
I will share more info if needed on the setting of the dip switchs.When I came up with the idea, too cool, before I was thru I wanted to throw it in the lake, two years later it still works as good as new.
Morfoot had a pull behind her, with cruise, and with out......
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 8:09am
That's what I've got. Mine has been removed from a car. I don't think it's manufactured any more.
Easily Parted From Money
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 2:25am
this kit?

I was not able to find this on Summit's site, but found it a few other places. I would rather buy from a more reputable source.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 7:02pm
I was going to try it just on revs for now. Was talking to someone at the weekend who had PP wakeboard pro on his boat and said he always ran it in RPM mode because the speed mode never worked right - I spent a season riding behind the boat and was never aware of any issues with holding speed.

The pulse generator is the way I'll go if it doesn't work. I was wondering this morning if anyone has written a pulse generating ap for the iphone? Tunes, comms and speed control in one unit - now that's effecient.
Easily Parted From Money
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 1:57pm
I came apon this thread before I was even a member here.I managed to hook up a gps puck and set the unit to read like a gm tranny with a pulse sensor.After dialing it in a bit it worked very well.I payed 80 for the unit and 200 for the puck but I am sure the puck has come down by now.
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 1:29pm
Doc, may need a bit of info on this as i have come by a ccs100 cruise unit and am thinking of using it on the boat if you are still happy with it. If not what was the problem?
Easily Parted From Money
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 5:50pm
I do want to mention that there are types Hall Effect sensors will generate a varying voltage or current. But I believe what we are working with is actually a Hall Effect Switch which is a pulsing contact.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 5:43pm
From another thread...

Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Steve get a real job like the rest of poor slobs, gotta water wheel question.Still got that bone in my mouth as to the red neck perfect pass.
If that is indeed hall effect does it produce AC or DC voltage. I have one hooked up in the shop and cannot get a reading either way,sorry for being less than smart on this issue.
Share some brain cells with the old man..................Billy

Billy, I believe the cruise control uses a hall effect switch where it does not produce voltage or current. It is a pulsing contact.

Think of it like a wall switch for your lights at home. If you turn that switch on and off as fast as you can with a meter across it, will you generate electricity? Nope. However, if you apply 120V and a light bulb to the circuit, you can now turn the light bulb on and off. If you turn it on and off really slow, you have darkness and light. If you turn it off and on really fast, you'd have something that looks like a continuous dim light. If you turn it on and off super duper fast, you'd have a bright light.

Well, that is how your cruise control module reads the speed from the hall effect switch and the magnets on your coupling. The cruise control module supplies (sources) power to the circuit and reads the frequency of the pulsing contact to figure speed. The module then modulates the throttle actuator to make the frequency equal to the frequency it was reading when you pressed your 'cruise' button.

If you want to read anything from the hall effect switch, you need to use your digital volt meter and measure the frequency. It should go up and down as you rev the mighty 331.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by 80 Ski-Tique 80 Ski-Tique wrote:

Yes we ride with ballast but that is not what really makes a difference. We pull so hard against the rope doing certain tricks that I can pull the boat off plane if I want to. My buddy is really big and built and when he pulls or rails the motor has to gain 400-500 rpm's sometimes just to maintain the same speed. A shaft sensor doesn't compensate for prop slippage and that's why a good perfect pass unit uses a GPS speed signal to maintain speed. My boat pulling wakeboarders can run anywhere from 12- 26 mph at the exact same rpm, it depends on the rider's weight and how hard they pull against the line. I agree it doesn't change much pulling slalom skiers but your not close to your planing speed when pulling them like pulling a wakeboarder which is usually around 20-23 mph. I can keep my boat within 3 mph but that feels like a big difference when your riding unlike skiing where a few mph is not that noticable.

I have the same issue.

Once I rode on a newer Air with PP, I enver wanted to go back.

I can really affect the boat's mph just by putting a load on the rope. 6'4" and 240lbs pulling on a Fly high can really alter the speed of the boat.

I wonder if my HP upgrade from 240-250hp to 300 or so with the performer manifold and gt40p heads will help the boat keep more steady speed. I would think that hp and tq upgrade would help.

But, if someone can inexpensively make a redneck PP, I will be all over it.

I hate having to give signals all the time to my GF. And believe me, she hates driving with me behind the boat. She thinks I am a wake snob. My Dad and other skiers/ boarders understand that constant speed does not equate to constant rpm.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
telluride36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telluride36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 5:09am
Has anybody done this to their boat, and used it for wakeboarding yet? I can pull people at a steady speed, but none of my friends can do it for me. I would love to do this for under $100 but not gonna pay $1000 for perfect pass.

I wanna hear from you before I get started on this. I wakeboard at a small lake, and need to know how it does on the turns pulling a wakeboarder.

Thanks
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 5:26pm
My boat holds speed much better since getting the prop and shaft fixed not to mention the bad cam.

It is fine skiing but we've found it's tough to hold 21 mph for kneeboarding. Maybe this is a possible solution. Also, the gps unit should work in place of the magnetic trigger. Another possibility.

I've determined I've got way too many other projects going right now so my RPP will have to wait. It's on my "C" list.

Matt
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 10:38pm
Doc, I never had any doubts what so ever that you wouldn't get it going! Fantastic!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 10:16pm
Steve and fellow CCFans.....Got it going now.
Just got off the lake and everything works great, much better than expectations.
Seems as if the last round of glitches was due to the "Brake interupt" was not grounded properly. After several hours of checking and re checking that was all that was left.
Set the PPM at 2000 turn #3 and #7 dip switches to on all else to off.All functions work fine,speed up is about 75 rpm's per bump in both the up and down modes.
1500 rpm's hold rock steady, have not tried a skier but hard turns yeild no drop in speed.I have spent a lot of time and less than $150.00 to get the desired results.............Redneck Perfect Pass
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 4:44pm
Gary,
I found some more info on the S9020 Nordskog GPS unit. It can put out 8000 pulses per mile or 16000 pulses per mile. I have a data sheet if you want to look at it.

If the PPM needed is not 8K or 16K, they have a pulse converter module for about $100, model S9000. It will translate to almost any PPM for any specific application. I have a data sheet on this as well.

I'm pretty sold on using the S9020 to drive an analog Stewart Warner speedo. I'm waiting to find a good, matching SW gauge on Ebay to keep the costs within reason.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

A brick on the pedal wouldve done the same thing

This is divorce insurance.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 3:51pm
Tim, give me a call anytime today......
I will leave early for a trip to town about 4;30 cental time 1-318-386-2825.....Billy
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 3:48pm
The servo is indeed vacuum , your cam cannot be "wilder than mine. The tech said all it needed was 9" of vacuum and if the motor cannot hold that, a canster seems to be an easy fix. Some smaller 4 cyl. cars do not have enough at cruise so this was the fix.
I saw several of the motor drive type servo's , but chose the vacuum type for ease of install and the dependability factor.
Water and drive motors do not mix...................Boat dr
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 2:59pm
Eric, I can't even buy a brick for $100!

Billy, Where did you buy the kit? The ones I see for around $100 are the vacuum operated ones. I think the electric version would work better since my cam doesn't make alot of vacuum.

Thanks!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 2:52pm
A brick on the pedal wouldve done the same thing
"the things you own will start to own you"
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 2:46pm
Dr-

I will be installing mine this weekend. Any best time to call you??

Thanks

Tim

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 1:49am
Matt,the last pic shows the location in the upper front corner of the motor area. Directly behind the drivers seat.
The description of the "pull to open" as "slip linkage" and a good desriptive. Spent more time there than on the wiring and install on the rest of the parts.
As far as using it in the "slower mode" I have used it from 1000 to 3500 and see no difference in setting nor holding any given rpm.
Hard turns seem to have little effect maintaining a set speed.More testing will be done again comr the weekend.....Boat dr
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 1:08am
So it works fine? How does it do around 20 mph? That's the hardest speed to hold...boarding speed. Skiing is not problem.

Where did you mount the actuator?

Is the actuator strong enough to move the pedal up and down? It kind of looks like you installed a "slip link" on the morse cable but I can't tell for sure.

Looks like I'll have one soon! Sweet!

Thanks for the pics!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 8:58pm
I applaud your effort Doc! You saved a few pennies and your foot.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 8:36pm
Tim, thank you bunches for posting the pics for this Old Man.As you can see there is not much to see,the switch on the dash, and the actuator cable sitting beside the Teleflex throttle cable.
The return spring is not needed but was installed for safety reasons.
The speed sensor is mounted in a hidden area,close to the coupler.The two magnets, epoxied to the flanges and the glass tape , just for security of the magnets.
The actuator is mounted with the cable going to the floor and then following the throttle cable. Wiring for the control unit then passes along the starboard stringer to terminate at the swich mounted on the dash.
Works better than I would have dreamed, and still have coins for a couple of gallons of fuel.............
The "keep it originals " will scoff but..........Boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 8:13pm
Heres some pics that Doc sent me of his set up.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2008 at 7:44pm
Matt, 3/4 of the hours spent on the install were used on the "linkage and return".I could spend an hour trying to describe the pain I went thru to "fail proof" the linkage and the return springs.
Simple is always my mode but this does not translate to ease of fabrication.
If you would like more info or just want to talk "redneck" my phone is always close and love to talk to fellow CCFans.......Billy
    1-318-386-2825
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2008 at 6:38pm
I printed the instructions of the internet and started looking through them. I have little doubt this kit will work, and I bet it can be massaged to work really good!

For the money (I think you said ~$100) it could be a dream come true for us "red necks."

I have some ideas how to make a rope operated switch (like the one on perfect pass) work.

It appears the gains are not adjustable on the unit with the exception of a coarse adjustment. The kit has 3 levels of "sensitivity." However, this might not be a problem because the servo could be installed in such a way as to change the mechanical advantage it has on the carb linkage therefore fine tuning the "gain."

This is a really neat kit and could work well on our boats with some fine tuning.

I'm definately interested!

One precaution. ANY TIME you start fooling around with the carb linkage be VERY CAREFUL as they can hang open if everything is not perfect. Test it a few times with the engine off and know to turn off the key if it hangs open. I've seen some really bad things happen from linkage hanging open!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic