NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Found my oil leak. Not what I thought..

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Found my oil leak. Not what I thought..
    Posted: June-08-2008 at 12:18am
Last 2 times I went out, there was oil in the bilge when I pulled the plug. Not sure what I was thinking the 1st time.. Maybe it would go away.

Cranked motor at the house and found oil dripping from the rear of the oil pan. Just like a rear main seal I thought.

I pulled the motor last night. and removed the oil pan to find that I had a Split Rear Main seal. It was really hot. Figured that I would continue in the morning and order parts that I would need from Skidim.

I Decided to clean the oil pan this morning and found that I had a large pin hole in the oil pan just below the bolt lip and right above where I had the dripping oil.

I Had my son weld that hole and the other 3 thin rusted areas. There was melted plastic on the pan (I was told that the plastic was there from the dealer). The plastic had allowed the pan to rust.

Anyway, cleaned the pan, reinstalled the pan and put the motor back in. Went skiing this afternoon with my son and no more oil leak. Just wanted to share that it is not always a rear main seal or oil pan gasket.
I got lucky..
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 1:42am
It's really too bad that the marinizers of our engines really forgot how to build a true marine engine. I sure it was the idea of some "bean counter" in the mid 60's to drop putting cast oil pans on. It's bad enough in fresh water but I'd sure hate to have to deal with a boat in salt water with a cheap stamped steel oil pan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 12:43pm
After I took the pan off of the pumpkin, I bumped it into the workbench(just barely), and it knocked the drain fitting right on through! I put a lot of paint on it and will be careful not to scratch it.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 12:02am
Pete, our mechanic at work has replaced just about every Ford oil pan in our garage due to rust outs. His latest project is changing out all the GM fuel pumps as they are all going out. The bean counters are everywhere!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Pete, our mechanic at work has replaced just about every Ford oil pan in our garage due to rust outs!

I'm sure the overall condition and age of the truck fleet doesn't help ether. The guy I got the Tique from was the regional (based in Indy) fleet manager for Ameritech. I remember him telling me that his latest project was changing out the graphics on all the trucks. He was torn as to this being a good idea or not. On one hand, the new vinyl was going to be tough to put over all the rust on the bodies but on the other hand if he could get it to stick it would hold them together!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic