Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need more hlp on rusted splines in tranny

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rholmes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rholmes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need more hlp on rusted splines in tranny
    Posted: June-09-2008 at 3:52pm
Well after trying to remove the tranny with the bellhousing and working on it for five hours, we eventually called a local transmission guy to come take a look. We managed to get about a thumbs width of a gap between the tranny and bellhousing. He looked inside, started laughing and said good luck. It appears that the splined shaft and input are completely rusted together. I am at a loss now. How in the world can I possibly pry the tranny off of the motor? We are prying so hard that the engine is lifting off of the bottle jacks and it is not moving. Any suggestions out there? I am stuck... literally!
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 5:18pm
if you can get to the bolts that hold the damper plate on, take them off and it will all come off. or spay with PB blaster frequently and let it sit for a day then try pulling off again.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 5:23pm
that.... or pry it off the damage is done, sneak a long punch down to the spline area on the damper and tap, it should break it free. chances are you are going to need a shaft and they are about 450.00, i do have them at bargain prices, i can pull one from a used trans
Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2008 at 7:41am
Originally posted by rholmes rholmes wrote:

we eventually called a local transmission guy to come take a look. We managed to get about a thumbs width of a gap between the tranny and bellhousing. He looked inside, started laughing and said good luck.   

It sounds like your local trans guy wasn't very helpful! Eric just changed his signature line to the "flush twice" but it used to be "happytoanswer"

Yes, try to get to the bolts holding the dampener plate to the flywheel. The dampener has some flex to it so you may gain more room (gap) on one side by cocking the trans/bellhousing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rholmes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rholmes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2008 at 11:36am
Thanks for the follow up guys (and or girls, just want to make sure my bases are covered). I'll be sure to let you know the out come. I think the reason I am getting the awkard flex between the bellhouse and tranny is because of the dampner as stated above. I'm gonna give it a good soak in Kroil and/or Naval Jelly just so I can say I tried. Then it is on to Eric's idea of swinging away with a hammer and chisel/punch to break the rust. I'll keep you guys posted on the results, and with some pics of the aftermath.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic