Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 146147148149150 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 12:55am
hey now. the staples run was one of my best, I rode on one foot for probably 15-20 seconds. on purpose and everything.

Greg I thought you were already at 110'?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 8:19pm
So it feels as though things are coming together and consistency with the starts is pretty good with 3 for 3 yesterday and 3 for 4 today. I did discover that it seems as though I may have had my eyes closed until today - the next step is to remember to breath and keep the handle into the lower back. I found myself letting the handle out twice today and instantly recalled the results of such action and bailed out.

[/QUOTE]
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 3:01am
To smooth out those back deeps/ riding backwards...get a tiny bit of kneebend...poke your ass out towards the handle...aka "staying broke away"....and try to favor the foot closest to the propwash...and even while skiing favor one foots they are less slippery to ride nice and stable...50/50 is very unstable.
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 4:19pm
Greg: I just sat in a clinic where David Small went over some of the back deep basics with my kids. Other than a slight break at the elbows, he said nothing of pulling the handle in to the lower back. He said "backs of hands on neoprene". If you break away like Andy says, you will get the pull "through your arms" and the hands/arms will not pull away from your body and get you pulled out the back.

As far as consistency, Willie's wife Dawn helped me by sharing her mental checklist she goes through every deep start. Every skier may have a different checklist depending on the issues you encounter getting on your feet. As soon as I roll over I think: ... long arms, shoulders rolled down...engage the core, stiff as a board...eyes out the back, chin up...plane out, plant...wait for speed, 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000... ass up, feet turned down... chin last off the water...etc. When I do that I can be pretty consistent.
Got Foot?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 4:47pm
Nice!

Indeed, what Andy sez, a dose of kneebend is good

Consider changing the FOV on the GoPro to Narrow, else you will stay just a few pixels in size, and can't resolve such details. You may need to tweak the aiming, but a quick check on your phone will confirm you're well in view.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

He said "backs of hands on neoprene". If you break away like Andy says, you will get the pull "through your arms" and the hands/arms will not pull away from your body and get you pulled out the back.

Which is why I don't like such a high boom teaching backwards. It pulls the hands off the neoprene.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 4:33pm
After a bit of a pause because we both did some travelling, Greg and I got together this morning. I think we are finally getting the hang of it.   For me, getting up is fairly consisent, but I am still unsteady once up, resulting in a fall or pussing out to avoid a fall (see video) Need to get more stable. Would also like to figure out how to get across the wake. I think I'd like it better outside.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 4:38pm
Looking pretty good. Looks pretty darn fast... what's the speed?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 4:47pm
Greg is about 38-39. He has historically pulled me about 36, but on this run, I ended by asking him if I had slid outside the wake because I felt much more stable and smoother on the second half. He said no, I was still in the wake but he was pulling me about 38, so I think I am going to stick with the slightly faster pull
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 4:48pm
Tim
For the most part Larry tops out about 37. In the last run the driver overshot the speed and the run finished at 38.5.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 5:08pm
Looks fast, I'd try 34-35 until you feel more stable. We are about he same size Larry and 38 would have me riding on the tips of my toes- looking pretty wobbly and ending with an out-the-back. 36 is pretty happy once up up and comfortable but I didn't start there...

I would also try tweaking the rope if you're ending up in a particularly turbulent part of the wake. 70 was too short on my '90, 80-90 is much better.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 5:15pm
We are at about 110 on rope length just to get out of the junk behind the 206
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
LaneDawgBowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaneDawgBowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 5:19pm
Hey there, Greg.

I would make sure that you hit your "shoulder roll and meat hook" [posture for those not familiar] and establish your vision before going over 33mph. No matter how much speed you use, it will not be effective with your head down.

If you look like a headless barefooter, you should stop and fix that problem on the short or longer (10') rope before long line.

What length of rope are you using?

I see you are turning your feet in at least on the last run which is critical and that should be when you get your vision up!

I hope this helps :)
"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
The Footer's Edge Training Center
lane@lanedawg.com
http://www.thefootersedge.com
877 685-6270 <----------Call Me!
863 268-0111 <----------Direct Line
Fax: 509 756-
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 5:41pm
Thanks Lane. We are at ~110' rope length off the superflyhigh just to improve the wake (ski nautique 206) for footing.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaneDawgBowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 8:00pm
Excellent.

If you do not want to slow your top speed, at least slow the acceleration after your head comes off the water to give you a little more resistance before your form is set.

Happy to help
"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
lane@lanedawg.com
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 12:14am
Greg,
WOW, Great Summer so far.

June you were coached by Brianna Dodd, topped ranked Salomon Skier on your course skills.

In July your are getting coaching from the World Famous Lane Dawg Bowers on your footing.

I can hardly wait until August to see the nightmare flying Freddie Kruger coach your form while going off the Ski Ramp.

You are the man and your runs looked great. Larry too.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 11:25am
No video or photo proof but the old gang got back together this past Sunday for some old school barefooting. The three footer pass had the two outside guys going forward while me the middle was backerds. The kicker of the deal was we skied behind a '95 Malibu Tantrum! They are simple but very effective tow boats.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaneDawgBowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 4:38pm
Nice Let me know if you need anything!
"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
lane@lanedawg.com
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 4:46pm
Hummmm... I don't even think Pete will be able to correct this "Lane" fellows advise... LOL.

Only in our sport would your random video post of you learning to do a backdeep get a response with pointers from one of the worlds top pros!!!!

The best part is that it is more the norm than a one off! No money spent, just good people being good/helping one another!

I've ended up with Scarpa on phone when ordering something before, Seipel, a ski tech/pro from Radar, and the CEO of perfect pass on adding a led dimmer...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 5:09pm
Andrew,
I have taken lessons with Lane in the past (a great experience and would recommend him without hesitation) and have found him willing to share his knowledge and love of the sport either through his website, social media, email or phone. Wish I had this help and equipment 45 years ago.

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 5:56pm
Had some more water time and feel as though the starts are getting dialed in with various drivers. Now to improve the position and get past the survival mode.

[/QUOTE]
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaneDawgBowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 7:06pm
Thanks for the kind words. I am happy to help anyone I can to enjoy barefooting safer and slower :)

Anyone here who wants a copy of my No Fall Barefooting DVD for free, I will give you as a gift with a link to download just to help out the members of CCF
"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
lane@lanedawg.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaneDawgBowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 7:54pm
If you guys go to my site and leave your name and email I send out free tutorials, free ebook, and other great stuff, but here is one of my articles on eliminating those horrible ghost falls backwards... let me know what you think.

http://www.thefootersedge.com/equipment/info/ne56.htm
"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
lane@lanedawg.com
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 8:51pm
Lane, I would love to have the No Fall Barefooting video. I also went to your site and signed up on the front page.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaneDawgBowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 1:22pm
Samudj01 email me at TheFootersEdge@gmail.com and I will send you one via DropBox!
:)
"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
lane@lanedawg.com
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 1:32pm
Dave,

I'm hurt. Why are you going to Lane Bowers when you have Greg and Me to guide you along?

Lane

Me

OK, never mind.....just kidding.

(Lane, David lives in the next cove over from Greg, so we get together occasionally on a saturday morning)
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 6:34pm
quiet here!!!
Sebastian Oertel was with me last weekend...i got him out on the boom and longline....remember it was me who start him on the sport 2 years ago!...
Pics and vids are on his phone..so nothing to post yet....

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 4:58am
As Seb said, I was back in Argentina and Seb was a great host yet again!
Looking at the pictures and thinking of the cold month ahead of most...Argentina is worth a trip (well here in Hong Kong, where I'm now its not cold but there is no footing..I'll update my Toertel adventure soon...lots happening/come visit)

See what i mean with worth a trip....glass everywhere

While the sun was up, its early spring in Argentina, so no contact with the water if possible is the rule

This never gets old...first pull in a loooooooong time

Yep...we all know why words can't describe it

Then it was time for the KAPLA to show us how its done

We all know his unique move...

And he is super flexible! I have a hard time reaching the high handle with my hands...he uses his feet

Then he had to check the prop the Argentinian way

And I got a small long line run in

Once we were cold, the kids got their turn

All in all, great time and super fun
1994 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaneDawgBowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 10:54am
Looks beautiful. Looks like you guys killed the barefooting!

If you do not get a quick response from me in the future, feel
free to either TEXT me at 863-269-0786 or message me on
FB at https://www.facebook.com/lanedawgbowers

"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
TheFootersEdge.com
"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
lane@lanedawg.com
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 12:58am
Thought this thread needed revival. Winter has left the building finally!

2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 146147148149150 152>
  Share Topic