Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 148149150151152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 3:47pm
Steve. I know the feeling you are describing. It’s been a few years since I had it but it is etched in my mind. Never had the severity of your injury but I’m sure damage was done along the way. I’m so much more careful now and it helps but one never knows when bad things will happen. Hope she gets healthy.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Steve. I know the feeling you are describing. It’s been a few years since I had it but it is etched in my mind. Never had the severity of your injury but I’m sure damage was done along the way. I’m so much more careful now and it helps but one never knows when bad things will happen. Hope she gets healthy.

Yeah, no way to confirm it but my theory is that all the damage that I had was not just from this one incident - I suspect, I probably had already done some of the smaller fractures in other wipeouts in the preceeding weeks, I had been suffering from annoying "aches" between my shoulder blades. Doesn't help that I have a pretty high pain tolerance - actually I think that is another complicating factor...

Anyway, nothing better then the adrenaline rush out their on the long line!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2018 at 1:16am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Hey everyone, looking for some voices of experience, RE: barefooting neck support/injuries.

My girlfriend is learning to barefoot and took a pretty bad fall a month ago today. Her neck got jacked up, we're pretty sure its a case of whiplash, and she is still having pain and range of motion issues today.

Not sure how I missed all this....but last night I was at Eddie's house watching while he was doing my bearings for the Tennessee trip....(I love living near Eddie)...and he mentioned this thread. You said "a month ago today" which would've meant before we saw you guys at Memorial Day. Might be a senior moment but I don't remember talking about this. We sure hope that VG is feeling better by now. Neck pain is very slow to go away in my experience. And I never foot...front or back without my neck brace.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2018 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Low pull llbd? Lol

For when your friend does not have a fly-hi.

LaneDawgBowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaneDawgBowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 11:35am
Nice work, Grand Poobah. I call that the "LowLon" :) It is like living without air conditioning in hot weather.
"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
The Footer's Edge Training Center
lane@lanedawg.com
http://www.thefootersedge.com
877 685-6270 <----------Call Me!
863 268-0111 <----------Direct Line
Fax: 509 756-
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 12:58pm
Adam,

I am so sorry to hear that VG is not feeling well. My daughter (17) Natalie passed out at school from the sight of blood and hit her head on the concrete floor, and got a concussion. She was in bad shape for four months. We had to go through a concussion protocol with school which was great. I was concerned she would have to retake her Junior year of high school again, but she worked hard and finished with straight A's. Her doctor thinks this was her second concussion. The first was a few years ago on a ski.   You need to get VG checked out for a concussion too. Before this deal with Natalie I never took concussions too seriously, now I have a totally different perspective on this and see how bad they can be.

Give VG a hug for Natalie and I, she is such a sweet gale and we hope she gets back on the water soon to enjoy the rest of the summer.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 10:00am
Hey everyone, time for a quick update. Vandygayle is doing much better. She started seeing a chiropractor and an accupuncturist regularly, and after probably three sessions with the chiro regained her full range of motion and stopped experiencing the pain and stiffness that she had. So big relief there. He immediately found some glaring alignment problems that her body was "correcting" incorrectly and has been working to straighten those out.

Since that time we haven't had a chance to get back on the water for any skiing (that pesky "life" thing keeps getting in the way) but I think when we do she is probably going to ease back into it...maybe some boom runs, progress her way back to the long line slowly as her confidence returns,

Thank you all (as usual) for the support and insight, she's still kind of new to our little group, but she definitely felt the ccfan love from all the posts, PMs, and text messages you guys passed along.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2019 at 3:18pm
Hiiii
I have Landen Ehlers with me...but my boat is not performing as it should...
anyway a managed him to pull me out lldb on shoes...by the second attemp i was out!
last time i did a llbd was like 3 years ago o longer...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2019 at 3:23pm
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2019 at 3:28pm

Hey everyone, time for a quick update. Vandygayle is doing much better. She started seeing a chiropractor and an accupuncturist regularly, and after probably three sessions with the chiro regained her full range of motion and stopped experiencing the pain and stiffness that she had. So big relief there. He immediately found some glaring alignment problems that her body was "correcting" incorrectly and has been working to straighten those out.

Since that time we haven't had a chance to get back on the water for any skiing (that pesky "life" thing keeps getting in the way) but I think when we do she is probably going to ease back into it...maybe some boom runs, progress her way back to the long line slowly as her confidence returns,

Thank you all (as usual) for the support and insight, she's still kind of new to our little group, but she definitely felt the ccfan love from all the posts, PMs, and text messages you guys passed along.

wow long time ago!
Adam how is your Gf doing by now? still with her???lol
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2019 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

wow long time ago!
Adam how is your Gf doing by now? still with her???lol

Nice backwards run Kap, even with the vegetables you hit outside the wake, haha.

She's doing well, and yes we are still together (which I guess you could argue means she's really not doing that well...). She got over the neck issues after starting sessions with the chiropractor and they haven't come back since. She was a little shy about getting back into barefooting last summer, but she accidentally ended up with a new suit this winter that she's excited to try so as soon as the weather warms up I'll get her back out there.

Good to hear from you buddy!
Adam
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaneDawgBowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2019 at 2:55pm
Good to hear! I am glad she is better.

I have had a lot of experience helping barefooters return after an injury or trauma in life. The key is no falling and baby steps.

No tumbles holding directly on the boom. Swing on the boom or short rope working butt glide and 3 point until SHE says she is ready to stand up and take a slow-as-possible run.

Happy to help if needed.

"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
TheFootersEdge.com

Here's a cool new video I did with my 13-year-old, Zane...
https://youtu.be/nofzLac3gLY

ASK me about "The World's Most Powerful Product"
"The single greatest health science
Breakthrough of our lifetime."

"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
lane@lanedawg.com
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2019 at 4:59pm
How many extensions you guys usually run on a boom for direct drive or V drive ?

1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaneDawgBowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2019 at 5:14pm
I have not seen a Vdrive that uses our Vdrive Boom that does not need 2 boom extensions.

The B110 Boom Extension gets skiers 18 inches further away from the chine spray
http://www.thefootersedge.com/product/b110-boom-extension/

"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
TheFootersEdge.com

"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
lane@lanedawg.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaneDawgBowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 12:57pm
It took me a long time to get around to getting this done, but I just did a FB Live video on "The Truth About Barefoot Skiing and Neckbraces." I would love to hear any input or feedback.

btw, I gave a plug for CorrectCraftFan.com in here and sure would appreciate feedback and maybe even leave me a review at the link below :)

www.thefootersedge.com/the-truth-about-barefoot-skiing-and-neck-braces/

"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
TheFootersEdge.com

I would really love it if you left me a Google Review by
so I can help others learn to barefoot safely.
https://bit.ly/2XDYAOI
"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
lane@lanedawg.com
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 7:06pm
First of all, get a barefoot specific rope, 90 foot, with Kevlar inside , you don’t want any stretch, and if you do get up, it will yo yo you to death. Try some tennis shoes, put some duct tape on the bottom, a barefoot suit, and yes a cup for certain. There are as many different opinions on how to deep water, but trust me , if you want it bad enough you will get it. Watch some videos, or better yet, have someone go along who has done it before. Once I learned how to do deeps, it is all I did, I hardly slalomed anymore. Didn’t even put the ski in the boat. Oh yea, the driver has to know what he is doing, throttle application is paramount for a successful start. Good luck!!
Mike Bryan
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 7:36pm
Only guy I ever remember using a neck brace was Banana George. Probably from doing too many teeth holds.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 12:42am
Lane

I don’t think that link works. It doesn’t work for me and I’d like to read about this subject in your link.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2020 at 12:49pm
Thought I would bump this thread as its been over 18 months since its last post.  We got out on the water last night 10/8/20 and it was absolutely beautiful.  Slight chop on one end of the lake but still skiable.  The best of all......no monster wake boats slogging along....in fact no other boats.  Had a great 2 hour session without worrying about the water getting rough.  Here in Nebraska October footing is usually drysuit worthy.  Not this year.  Water temp was 61 and outside temp was 82.  It was wonderful.  Anyone else up north still at it?
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2020 at 1:01pm
Not barefooting but slalom yesterday on Deep Lake. 58f water, 64 air—no wetsuit. Went by a few fishermen wearing winter coats and hats. Ha!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2020 at 2:28pm
Still wetsuit season here.

September was unusually busy (like the rest of the summer). Finally getting some water to myself!
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2020 at 4:26pm
Still nice here in NC slowly working my way back into it 
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2020 at 5:39pm
Did my mid season oil change a little over a week ago, will be skiing regularly for 3 more weeks unless the weather turns ugly. Once the time changes we become weekend/trailer boaters, but will take a thanksgiving run at a minimum.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2020 at 9:44pm
We never really have to stop in NC, but outings do get scarce in the winter, especially as I age, but I do declare the "official" end of the season at some point. We had unusually cool dreary windy weather in Sept, so I thought we might be done, but there have been some nice days/evenings the past couple weeks.  No footing, spending more time on my stick lately.  Those of you on FB, forgive the repetition, but for the rest of you, here are a couple pics from the last couple weeks evening outings.  (Gotta like not having to go to the office these past 6 months, better for early evening skiing, and even the occasional weekday/daytime ski.

Even took a quick spin on a replacement/duplicate of my first ski I bought myself in 1968.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2020 at 12:20am
No pics of riding that Northland???
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2020 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

No pics of riding that Northland???

Unfortunately no, but not for lack of trying.  The same 11 yr old kid that caught that nice glass on glass photo above had a camera, but for some reason, wasnt able to get a shot. On another evening, he caught this one, which was also pretty good, not so much my form, but the lighting was pretty good.

But trust me, you arent missing much.  I couldnt do much of anything on it.  Funny, in my teens I was no Nate Smith, but at least I could go and be stable and turn on it.  Not so much the other night.  I suppose with a little work we could get used to skiing on those old boards again.

BTW, the Northland was my second collectible I picked up this summer.  Been looking for years. Not a real common ski.  Found it up in MN.  Guy gave it to me for price of shipping which was nice.  It was his dads.  He almost didnt want to let it go because of that, but decided he would.  The first collectible I picked up was my favorite ski of all time I never owned or skied on.  Back in the 80s I really wanted one of these, because it is the best looking ski ever made.  Still think so.  It was the better Obrien, which at $220, or something like that, I couldnt afford, so I settled for the green blue and silver WTC that everyone on planet had.

The Competitor was also gifted to me, which was also very nice.  Ski looks like it has never been used.  Came with bag and 80s era gloves, also pristine.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2020 at 9:24am
OK, I've hijacked this thread enough and will now endeavor to get it back on track.  Here are a couple of several barefoot runs from my last outing up at Greg's a little while back, just to show you I havent completely abandoned my barefooting for swervin'  Tho you will need to ignore the first 30 seconds.

DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2020 at 12:35pm
Was that with a super fly high extension?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2020 at 1:23pm
Nope. Standard fly-hi pole on a BFN.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaneDawgBowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2020 at 8:22am
Nice work :)

"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
TheFootersEdge.com

"The single greatest health science Breakthrough of our lifetime."

"Lane's 3 Minute Miracle Speech that Changed the World"
https://www.thefootersedge.com/lane-bowers-2019-water-ski-hall-fame-3-minute-miracle-speech/

"Would You Like to Hear My Story of Hope?"
https://www.thefootersedge.com/the-worst-day-of-my-life/
"Expect a Miracle!"
Lane "Dawg" Bowers
lane@lanedawg.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 148149150151152>
  Share Topic