Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 9899100101102 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 7:57pm
Tim:

OK, your plane and plant are fine speed wise as long as you like it. That is more personal than anything. The gyser of water shooting up on some of your planes shows that you are good. You get a good plant, your feet are sliding on the water nice, not too much "bite" into the water, so far so good. Now, here is where the rubber meets the road:

Timing of your action and the boat's acceleration are key. The better they synch up, the easier it will be to ski. [Driver tip: once you plant, and the driver wait 1 or 2 seconds, just to give you a second to adjust and ready yourself of the acceleration. After that 1 or 2 monments, have him FIRMLY accelerate you to your top speed. 38? 40? or whatever]

In that moment or 2, after you plant, put the weight on your chest, and get your crotch off the water. Feet still sliding. This is the 3-point. I think you were "there" already in the videos.

Now, dad is going to start accelerating. You need to start bending (getting the butt up in the air) and start turning your feet down to get more bite into the water. This is a timing thing on how much bite, and how much bend relative to dad's acceleration. Andy would say "fold like lawn furniture." Willie would say "push down with your chest and chin." None of those thoughts worked well for me. I mostly stayed flat and did not progress, the speed would increase, the water got hard and could not get any bite.

So, how to get "bent?"

Don Mixon Jr. said to curl your lower back like you are "pulling out" having sex. (crude, I know). But it worked.!! As soon as I got set in my 3-point, heard the boat accelerate, I would "pull-out", push on the chest, turn the feet down, pull out, push on the chest, etc...Next thing you know I am off the water!

This is what worked for me, and maybe you too.

The point is to progress at the on-set of speed. Your butt up in the air, will cause more pull off the water. At all times when bending, keep the chin as close to the water as possible and you will not get pulled out the back, I assure you.

I don't want to minimize the importance of soem of the things the guys were saying like planting narrow, or turning the feet down. Honestly I made 10 or 20 LLBD before I ever started focusing on that stuff. At present, Andy is on me to work on those now. I think if you get too many things you are trying to do, you do none well.

As far as ropes go, your call. I just notices when you missed your start, it snapped back into the boat. A bouncy rope never helped me do anything better, that is all I know.
Got Foot?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 11:01pm
you got this Tim, Roy is kinda right some more acceleration will get you there...just not too much...have driver drive a straight course---perfectly straight.

your body position looks good, the spray looks good, just a little quicker on the acceleration AFTER you plant and send up those pretty geysers from the feet, be bringing the legs together,(about 20-25 mph) and bending in half, stay here frozen solid until more speed is reached 30-35 and the water will support you on your feet only, stay bent...resist the urge to pop up...that will send you out the back...ski it away...
This is the life
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

My form is missing something somewhere... I might be taking baby steps as Im at least able to get my chest and chin off the water- but its still way too much of a struggle (groin). Even once my chest is up, I feel like my feet arent underneath me- like Im skiing on the inside of my feet. Ive had a taste of how easy it should be and this is not it!

The rope is made from Lake Elmo's 16 strand TAC (HDPE). Its not bad, but a little stretchier than the thin BI line I have (spectra?). That BI line is always a knot fest, but I'll switch if you think its important.

Tim,
These starts are all so familiar. You're so close it's scary.

First off, you're waiting an awful long time to take your feet off the rope and planted on the water. The longer you wait, the slower your driver needs to go. You can see on every one of your starts, you start porpoising. There's only two ways to stop that....put your feet in the water or the driver needs to slow down until you put your feet in the water. You can see the common denominator here right? It's fine doing it the way that you're doing it, but the driver needs to stay sharp. With repetition, that should become easier for you.

All I keep seeing is you trying to get up with you're feet so friggin' wide yet. The reason you're having difficulty getting up is your feet (and thus legs) are so wide. When you finally do turn your toes down to get up, you're feet in reality are still angled out at roughly 30-45 degrees. That's why you feel like your skiing on your ankles...because that's exactly what you're doing!!!! Your legs and feet are so wide that you can't get your toes turned straight down. Being so wide to start only gets exaggerated as speed increases from the water pressure wanting to push your feet out even further. Get your feet closer together at the start and hold it there. Then you can easily turn your feet straight down easily. A really small detail that will make a HUGE difference that's immediately noticeable.
Remember, as soon as you get your feet planted on the water and speed starts to increase, you constantly tell yourself to touch your heels together. You'll never be able to truly do it but the idea is to over-exaggerate what you want your legs and feet to do. Your brain is still telling you that your feet and legs are fine. You need to build some muscle memory for your brain to understand.
Once your feet and legs are narrower, lock in that position and wait for speed....RELAX! I can't stress that enough. RELAX! PATIENCE. Then in one smooth, controlled motion you turn your feet straight down toward the bottom of the lake (but toes pulled up toward your knees), lift your ass in the air and push your chest into the water.

As you start to come up, you'll feel spray from your feet hitting your chin. As soon as you don't feel that spray anymore, stop raising up or you'll just keep going over backwards. Then squat down a little bit with a bend in your knees. You could probably even bring your legs together a little bit more at this time now. Then just enjoy the ride!

I tell everybody who wants to listen, you have to train your body (and your brain) to feel how hard the water is on your body. You need to FEEL the water on your feet, then your thighs, then your torso and finally your chest. As it gets harder, you'll know when you can start to make that one smooth controlled sweep of the feet, ass and chest. The boat will actually want to pull you off the water when you have speed (just like on the short line). Go too soon (like everybody does) and your feet will submarine. Unfortunately, that only comes with repetition. Trying to count for this step sucks. Different drivers, pulls and boats make the counting method unreliable. Feeling how hard the water is on your feet, legs, torso and chest make any pull from any driver behind any boat a snap. The water always feels the same at the speed you need no matter how fast or how slow you get there.

It's looking great so far. Just keep thinking to bring your feet together some more, relax and let the boat do the work.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 2:17am
well this is scary that I even think that I have something to offer to a guy like you Tim but here goes...

when I was watching your starts this afternoon the first thing I thought was 'wow he sure is waiting a long time to put his feet down'. As soon as I roll over and Eddie hits it I put my feet on the water. Makes me plane smooth and I know that as soon as my feet are on the water I can lift my chin and look out the back. Eddie rolls up the speed I feel the water on my thighs and chest. I fold at the waist just enough to lift my butt..feel the water on my chest turn my feet and I am up. Like Eddie is ALWAYS telling me..relax..patience..let the boat do the work.

of course..the biggest advantage I have is Eddie is driving and coaching.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 9:18am
Hi Tim, guys-
The only thing I can possibly add here that I haven't seen mentioned yet is shoe skiing. I'd recommend you solidify your starts on the shoes then go to your feet. While I'm still not 100% with my LLBDs yet I will tell you that the shoes helped me.
Sorry I didn't think of that when I was there in August. I had my Scarpa trainers and Steve was using them for some back deep starts on the boom one evening.

I can pop them in the mail for you if you'd like.

-Brad
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 10:34am
Thanks for the tips guys!

On the slow-to-plant... thats on purpose. John, youre able to take your feet off the rope and plant when you please because you dont have to worry about the driver overshooting your speed before youre gliding nicely. I dont have the luxury of experienced driving- we're learning together. On the 5' I can plant quickly and overcome a less than perfect pull (too fast) but Im not there yet on the LL. My driver knows what to look for- a steady geyser coming up... and bouncing means slow down. Until I feel the speed is ok to plant, I wait- and put a foot back on the rope to try and wait out the bouncing (from too much speed). There are improvements to be made here for sure, but I think they will come with repetition (both skier and driver)- so I think we're ok here.

Roy, I agree- I feel comfortable in my 3-point as the driver begins to accelerate. Skimming nicely on the chest and feet. My eyes are open and I can see... I am consistent in getting to this point so other than my plant being a bit wide, I think Im ok here as well.

Eddie, I think your assessment is spot on... thats what I came up with too after seeing the video (WIDE). I felt narrow when skiing it, but clearly that wasnt the case. Im not sure I got my feet turned down much at all either. Wish I had someone in the boat that could give me direction real time... but no one knows what to look for. I only get to make run to run adjustments based on what I "feel"- which is mostly useless, ha. So I get to make adjustments on an outing by outing basis instead of run by run. Kind of stinks, but it is what it is.

I feel like everything Im doing with my ass and chest are just fine... theyre actually overcompensating for poor leg/feet position. If I can correct that, I think I'm golden. Hope to try again this weekend. The things I am going to do are:

-once my plant (3-point) is solid, have the driver give me a bit stronger acceleration. I'll tell him to bring me from 15mph to skiing speed over a period of ~4-5 seconds.

-try and get my initial plant/3-point a little narrower. I feel like Im cutting nicely where I am but starting a little narrower will keep me from having to make such a huge adjustment in width as the speed starts to come.

-"Powerband", "Pull Out"... as soon as the boat starts accelerating, make a HUGE effort to bring my legs narrower (trying to touch the heels) while rotating my feet (toes to the bottom of the lake). All while bringing my hips up/chest down (though that part has never been a problem).

Brad, thanks for the offer on the shoes- but I think Im ok. I have a set of BI shoes that I can throw on if need be. I feel like the things I need to work out are specific to my feet and getting them in the right position to generate lift... so Im gonna try and make the adjustment and see if I can start skiing away.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 11:58am

I feel like everything Im doing with my ass and chest are just fine... theyre actually overcompensating for poor leg/feet position. If I can correct that, I think I'm golden.

Exactly!!! I totally agree.

Keep in mind, if you feel comfortable with a wider plant initially, that's fine. You just try and touch your heels together as soon as you feel the boat accelerating. Then just hold that position and wait for speed.
Everything else should take care of itself.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 2:42pm

as soon as the boat starts accelerating, make a HUGE effort to bring my legs narrower (trying to touch the heels).

Not sure about that one, Tim. May work. A lot of this stuff is mental, especially the LLBD. A lot of what works is creating mental pictures. For example, if you visualize and try bringing your heels together, your feet may narrow some and that may be what you need. ACTUALLY touching your heels together as the boat starts to accelerate sounds like a disaster. Like I said earlier, all this is timing. Synching your moves with boat speed.

All good tips. One good one may be all you need. Finding the right one will take some trial and error.
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

I tell everybody who wants to listen, you have to train your body (and your brain) to feel how hard the water is on your body.

THAT, is one helluva good tip!
Got Foot?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

as soon as the boat starts accelerating, make a HUGE effort to bring my legs narrower (trying to touch the heels).

Not sure about that one, Tim. May work. A lot of this stuff is mental, especially the LLBD. A lot of what works is creating mental pictures. For example, if you visualize and try bringing your heels together, your feet may narrow some and that may be what you need. ACTUALLY touching your heels together as the boat starts to accelerate sounds like a disaster.

Dont worry, they wont actually touch. I thought I was most of the way there in the above video... not quite the case. I could relate to what Eddie said- it feels like I was moving them a mile but in reality it was nowhere near enough. I didnt have any idea how bad it still was until afterwards when I saw for myself.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 12:48pm
Allright, I think I am pretty close to where Tim is. Got out yesterday for more attempts. Focused on feeling the water; feet, quads, chest. It's starting to come together, a little more attention to bend over. Attempt #4 and #7 were VERY close. In #4, you may be able to hear HW saying turn your feet down, I think that would have done it. #7, I believe I was up and then forgot to lean away from the boat, and got pulled out the back - DANG! Baby step progress, but it's progress and that's huge for me!

Let me know if you see anything else. Not sure if there is much more to say then whats been said in the previous posts, just getting it to all gel in my head on the water, so the brain can tell the body what to do. Here you go:

BTW, on a completely seperate note, If you watch these in HD, Johnny took the video and did some AWESOME camera work, I think this is the best technically shot video I have seen from this camera. Interestingly enough, I down graded the video to 720, and the pixelation of the water spray is pretty funny, but I digress
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 2:43pm
Well, nobody can say you don't have tenacity. You do! Plane/plant look good. The only thing I can say is I do not see you progressing as the boat accelerates. Your feet are turned out, but moreover your body is still flat on the water. On most of those, you loose the handle before the fun really begins. Let me look at those again...
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 4:44pm
all excellent attempts,

on plant try to cock toes towards shins more to smooth things out

you are narrowing too soon the stance...this is the place where I try to explain that you FREEZE...dont try to fight your way up you will see stars and generate alot of torque...thats trying too hard...freeze in position...ass up...3 point and WAIT...til you are going 25-30...then you can "try" to get up.

I actually gas pedal to get up or Id just be sliding on my face forever...
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 4:47pm
you are a warrior steve! by the 3 attemp I would have quit!
lol...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 4:51pm
also dont forget the boom...add extra rope like 5ft to a 5ft handle...do a backdeep there then go try your LL's...a few times then get back on the boom and make a successful start...positive reinforcement......shoeskis wont let you stuff your feet in so they could help with getting the cocked foot/toes Im talking about
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 4:52pm
yup look like you need to turn your toes, feet are parallel to water and seems they dont grab...
I not an expert on the matter though...

Are you pulling from a Skylon? or sfh? rope seems to come high.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 5:02pm
the rate of acceleration is too fast=harsh...needs a bit slower but steadily increasing ...your driver needs to add some deftness to the throttle control.

in your mind a LLBD is about twice as long as a boom backdeep...at least
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 5:11pm
Roy, I think you are on to something, I just tried a dry land practice, which allowed me to use muscle memory to confirm your theory. I am trying so hard to push my chest down that I am leveraging from my feet and the handle and forgetting to bend and pouch the ass in the air. If you slow it down and go frame by frame (or pause, play, pause) around 0:55 you can see my feet actually pop OFF the water before I let go, this happens on the 7th attempt (about 1:35) on the Right foot too. Although you also see the rope (at the point where it goes into the spray) progressively moving farther off the water, ever so slightly but this is probably an indication I am not bending enough.

Andy, I think this is also what you are seeing (lack of a bend at the waist). I don't get the Freeze thing though, I have no way of telling what speed I am going, I don't know how you guys can hear the motor, All I can hear is a waterfall. I can tell you that on that 4th and 7th attempt I could see everything out the back, shoreline and trees, big old rooster tail off my chest, some spray picking up my chin. Would be interested in understanding what you "see" when you're ready to try to get up.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 5:13pm
Seb - I guess I am a bit pig headed. Not a SFH, its an old AL Fly-high (2 piece) on an extended pylon, puts the top about 7 feet above the dog house.

Andy, your right I should go back to the boom, or try the shoe ski's, Our daylight is getting so short and I feel like we have been making progress each time. Perhaps its time to concede and go back to the shoes or boom.

Kevin (Hollywood) was driving, he is awesome and I completely trust his judgement, he was picking up the pace because he felt I was getting bored... Last couple of times out (didn't post those vids) we went REALLY slow - this was really good as it taught me how to control and get stable in the plane. Again, part of the slow steady progression, I feel I am making. Everytime I get comfortable in stage, I allow the muscle memory to take over and can focus on tweaking.God Bless him and Jonny for their patience. All of you guys too for your encouragement and tip.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 5:24pm
I agree with you completely Andy but truth is there just isn't much room to be slower, very small lake. Would have to start back over from a corner every time, and there just isn't time for that. I'm jamming it down his throat I know but hopefully everything will be easier Sunday behind the BFN on bigger water.

Notice the lack of straight runs.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 5:26pm
Oh, and I don't see anything! My eyes are probably closed most of the start.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

you are narrowing too soon the stance...

Hey Tim! Apparently you can get too narrow... LOL!

Andy I think I now remember Lane Bowers telling me this on the boom, so will try to tweak it...

Kevin, those videos are great - both of those runs are awesome! Despite my crappy drving...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 6:18pm
fantactic feed back here. Will me sure to try it out next time out...if only I could go..lol...
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

or try the shoe ski's

Not sure shoe skis are going to do much for you. They are a trick in themselves. I always find myself getting pulled under the water by them on the plane out. I suppose if you are "honest" on your get up, wait for speed, let the boat pull you up, there can be something learned. I learned the LLBD without them. I did use them when learning on the boom frustrated from not getting up on my barefeet.

Try them. You will know right away if there is something to be gained. When I was learning the LLBD my nightmare position was 35 MPH, flat on the water, spread-eagle, no bite to the feet, no bend at the waist. Getting the bite on the feet by turning the feet down, narrow plant, etc. is not going to do much good if you have no bend. It will serve to pull the handle out of your hand: lots of bite, no bend. Honestly I got up pretty wide the first times, had no idea about turning my feet down. It was all in the bend for me.
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 10:42pm
Here is my first LLBD. Long enough ago that it is sad that I don't nail this EVERY time. You can see how wide I am, but notice the first thing you see is my ass coming up:

Got Foot?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

all excellent attempts,

on plant try to cock toes towards shins more to smooth things out

you are narrowing too soon the stance...this is the place where I try to explain that you FREEZE...dont try to fight your way up you will see stars and generate alot of torque...thats trying too hard...freeze in position...ass up...3 point and WAIT...til you are going 25-30...then you can "try" to get up.

I actually gas pedal to get up or Id just be sliding on my face forever...

Steve,
Very nice attempts. Andy is spot on here. You do a nice job of bringing your heels in closer but then you're rushing things from there. Bring your heels in closer and just like Andy says...FREEZE. Lock in that position, RELAX, be PATIENT and wait for speed. You're thinking that you're going 40MPH when in reality, you're probably not doing 15MPH yet.
This is where I say that you have to feel how hard the water is. When you get the speed, you can turn your feet down, lift your ass and press down with your chest all at the same time.
Looks to me like you're doing all that at the same time way too early.

Eddie
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 12:12pm
Roy - I think that just became my favorite SacFooter video, love your cheering section, honestly who was happier that day you or Willie and Andy - awesome! Your second and 3rd looked like you really had it down too, so natural. Ok, now I just need to get it done by Oct. 25, maybe I need to move to the dry suit...

Eddie - good explanation on the freeze, the hardest part is going to be to wait, your right, it does feel like 40mph, but I'll wait longer. I guess in my head I am thinking if I get going too fast, I won't be able to turn my feet down, but now sitting at a desk, rationally that doesn't make sense, its very easy to break the water, think standing back up after a tumble. OK - New focus for the next trip out. Thanks everybody!!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Roy - I think that just became my favorite SacFooter video, love your cheering section, honestly who was happier that day you or Willie and Andy - awesome! Your second and 3rd looked like you really had it down too, so natural. Ok, now I just need to get it done by Oct. 25, maybe I need to move to the dry suit...

Eddie - good explanation on the freeze, the hardest part is going to be to wait, your right, it does feel like 40mph, but I'll wait longer. I guess in my head I am thinking if I get going too fast, I won't be able to turn my feet down, but now sitting at a desk, rationally that doesn't make sense, its very easy to break the water, think standing back up after a tumble. OK - New focus for the next trip out. Thanks everybody!!!

Funny you mention Roy's cheering section. You should've seen me the first one that John hit. I swear I was jumping up and down so high that I was gonna bust through the floor of my boat (after slowing down and in neutral of course)

That waiting game is excrutiating for rookies. By far the biggest hurdle that everybody has to get through. Don't worry, turning your feet down at speed isn't the issue. Like Andy stated, that happens in reality around 25-30MPH while still accelerating up to your barefoot speed. So how long does it take to get from 15MPH (about where you were in the videos) to 25MPH? Obviously this is extremely variable by several different factors, but really, only a few seconds. Those few seconds seem like an eternity though.

This is where some say to try counting, but I find it very unreliable because of the aforementioned variables.
When you get that locked in freeze, that's where I say to shift focus to feel how hard the water is on your body. Start with your feet, then legs, then torso and finally chest. It takes some reps, but you'll get it. Once you train your body to feel how hard the water is, you'll start hitting every start with much more consistancy. No matter how fast or how slow the pull is.

One of the bigger problems that you can face (like Tim's vids) is the water pressure wanting to push your feet/legs out even further during this locked/frozen/wait for speed period. You have to make sure you resist that while feeling how hard the water is getting.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 4:52pm
Think about how far you travel before standing on a front longline deepwater start then next time you rush the BD see how far you got...usually about 50ft...not near enough space to smoothly gain the necessary speed of 25 to 30
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 4:55pm
The cup is sounding better all the time...
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 9899100101102 152>
  Share Topic