Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 142143144145146 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 2:05pm
I have a custom swing handle...36" long with 24" V...the boom should be overhead not at teeth level. It is very safe set up correctly. Yes you can put two swings up. Be sure your pylon is secure and the boom mounted securely bolted and set screws tight cables set correctly.
This is the life
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 2:30pm
This was the first time i actually tried using the swing method to teach so i very well may have had it wrong, Or it was right and i'm just overreacting. Mine was the BI easy footer and adjusting the length of it never occurred to me but i think that when I was at a stop the seat height did put the bar overhead. But once I would get going and they would support themselves on their feet the bar was at that height and if they lost their feet and would swing it just scared me.
When that would happen i would hook to Starboard and try and keep them higher off the water while backing off the throttle to let them get their feet back in front of them.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 6:27pm
By angling the boom up off the gunnel...getting the tip up high...will get it overhead with people skiing on it. Also use people in the boat to raise or lower the boom by moving from side to side. If it gets set up lower you will have it lined up with teeth. Always stress rule #1 never let go of the boom. #2 bend your knees. That's it. 2 rules. That pretty much will keep it away from the face but you need to judge the safety of each person individually...might have to move the boom alot or use a back toe barefoot handle...or get a custom ez footer from Lake Elmo...I had a BI ez footer and it was ridiculously small/short
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 6:43pm
I never liked using the EZ footer method (I use a handle for it) until I saw Andy doing it with a lot of success. Hanging directly on the boom or using the cables to get up is iffy for a newby, especially somebody who has not spent much time on the water. To use the easy footer there is a relationship between skier height and weight and the height of the boom and how low the handle is to the water. If you don't get it right it is sketchy. Speed is a factor too.

Andy, you should post some video of Jen who does a beautiful job in the swing, and now is killing it tumbling up.
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 7:04pm
What about that German chick...Sacfooter?
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 7:14pm
I had just started using it and have the boom about teeth height...
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 9:51pm
I would never put any handicap skier in a swing. The single most important rule with "adaptive" skiing is having their tow rope on a release. You must be able to cut them loose from the boat at any moment.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 4:46am
I'm working on uploading some pictures now if the internet stays up for me. but now that i look at some of the pictures i may have had the seat set a little higher than desirable. Maybe I will rig up an adjustable loop to the easy footer since i have it and see if it improves any.
As for a quick release. I was thinking something like a tumble hitch or sheet bend tied between the boom and the seat may work but because of the design of the easyfooter i never really thought about adding additional line to the loop. I thought it would bring it too far away from the bar. I will have to try that out in the future.

I understand your concern for putting him in a swing. As for his case i wouldn't consider it adaptive skiing. He kneeboards, wakeboards and skiis just fine. His handicap is not physical at all. It is a learning disability. So for example things like left and right is a 50/50 chance of him getting it correct. So specific instructions regarding feet position and posture can be tough for him to process. especially while speeding over the water in a swing.   I'm just trying to teach him the safest way possible with what I have to work with.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 10:19am
Adaptive skiing includes physical and mental disabilities. If he can't get left and right correct how can you trust he will not let go? Did you see Banana George's final run in the swing? It ended poorly.
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 12:29pm
my buddy adam is thinking about getting this Barefoot warrior. Does anybody know much about them. He does not want to get a sanger now because he wants to get the right one with a new motor. Trying to save up for one now. This is a cheap way to get us through a couple years.

What would be things to check I know floor and stringer. Whats the best way to check stringers without having a motor attached to them. Does anybody have expericace footing with these boats? Hows the wake, Have heard its not as good as others.

Centurion
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 12:53pm
I cant say much for footing on that boat, but those older 2 stroke yamys were good motors. If well taken care of and had good clean fuel and oil. she will keep going for a while. check all the moving parts for corrosion though. Yamaha didn't introduce stainless steel into their construction till the later saltwater series hit the market.
all your other questions can be answered by a simple test drive.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 1:08pm
_hollywood I did not see that video. But being he is my brother and spending the last 22 years with him i have a pretty good idea of what he can and cannot grasp. Like i said simple instructions get through no problem, so "don't let go" falls under the simple.

So I also tried looking through general search here and on google on specific instructions when using the seat method before i went on my vacation and used it. I admit, I did not skim through all 144 pages of this thread though. I did find a few videos and articles written about using the seat on the web but none of them went into a lot of detail, so a few things were left uncertain to me. and i kind of tried out a few things. I did get in it myself first to try and it seemed ok when i did it.
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 1:11pm
Thanks thats good to know. I hope he gets it I think they look cool.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 3:29pm
Yes the Banana Man let go ...spun around and came right out of the swing...he was not hurt in any way so "ended badly" is pretty dramatic. I find people are more likely to slip down into the handle only to be dragged...again no injury. People seem to think it may be dangerous but I have yet to hear of any injury caused by learning in a swing. WBC sells the seahorseski for about $700..so they say its "dangerous" to use a swing.but when KSO is on a clinic and doesnt have a seahorseski he puts up a handle everytime
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 4:00pm
Speeds in the swing...for little kids idle will work...on up to about 20 for any beginner ...as they prove they can ski without catching then max speed in the swing 25 maybe 27...but no faster for anyone. There are 3 tricks to learn in the swing. 1 foot, 1 foot reverse, Hop... Once they master those(do them at will without catching) Then they graduate. And go direct on boom...
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 4:07pm
Any time I've had someone in the swing that used the Fred Flintstone car stopping straight leg technique...they will fly around and you simply turn into them and they stop almost instantly. And as you saw in the video above at the end of a successful run the get to FLY as you turn tight away from the boom lifting them way up and setting them back on the water just as you stop...they all love that part.
This is the life
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 4:31pm
I was hitting between 20-25, so i will have to slow it down for sure. I was trying to get there quickly as to keep the chine spray out of their faces to not promote keeping their eyes shut which i noticed all the beginners were doing.
seahorse definitely looks like a good tool, but for that price i could probably build 2 or 3 of them. thats for a winter project though.
I'm not sure which video you are referring to. maybe my web browsers too old to view. I see just a black box where you posted about teeth height.
So i am going to have to approach it a little differently next time now that i know what i know.
**edit** Glassseeker i found the video link you posted. Thank you, I went down the line of videos and found a few on that channel that showed use of the swing. very helpful.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 7:54pm
So don't let go of the boom in the swing but if you do it's no big deal? Obviously the concept was improved upon with the seahorse.
George's last swing run. Yeah, no thanks on the swing...
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 1:22am
I can see how that particular run had potential to go sour. he let go facing backwards/sideways. I Had a few occasions where some of the people let go before i came to a stop and that was before i knew about "rule#1" Thats when i gave the instruction to not let go. and to wait till i stop.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 3:21am
they...Lane...set up the swing a little too long for old George...also an old toe hold handle with the toe hold cut out is all you need for a swing...or cough up 700 for a seahorseski! I've got enough equipment already!
This is the life
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 12:53pm
Had a productive day yesterday. First, I made my first long line deep water start, which I've only been casually messing around with. It's so easy to step off a ski I've just put off learning it forever.

Next, I finally got the boom I bought last month set up with extended cables. I had to lengthen them about 3 feet to fit the Sport Nautique. Figured it was time for a proper load test so my buddy decided to give it a go. He hasn't barefooted in 15 years and is pushing 250. He got up holding on to the boom no problem and then swung out on the 5ft section. Thankful the old '94 was able to manage 44mph to keep him afloat with the 1868 on, might need to get my 422 fixed!

Next, I decided to give the boom a shot. I've only been on a boom once in my life back in college. I started working on some one-foots, my balance needs a lot of work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJkxGXI3SZc

And here's a decent crash for your viewing pleasure.

-Brian

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 1:02pm
Thanks for the video's.
Looks like you are using a slalmon ski handle - you will enjoy the wider BF handles if you elect to go that route.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 1:07pm
Congrats on the longline deep water. Im the opposite of you I have never stepped off before.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Thanks for the video's.
Looks like you are using a slalmon ski handle - you will enjoy the wider BF handles if you elect to go that route.

Yeah, I suppose I could've used my wakeboard handle (which I use longline), but I would have had to take it off the rope. The slalom handle was just sitting there ready to go so that's what we used for our weekend wally barefoot session. I'll probably look into getting a barefoot handle at some point since I seem to be doing it more these days.

Originally posted by lcgordon lcgordon wrote:

Congrats on the longline deep water. Im the opposite of you I have never stepped off before.

You should give it a try, it's a lot less labor intensive and if you can do a dock/beach start you can stay dry if it's cold out!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 3:11pm
On the one foots: get feet closer together...push down all your weight on the ski foot til the other comes off the water easily...you have to shift the weight over the ski foot...it would help to practice directly on boom...lift the foot over the ski foot not out to the side
It also helps alot to let the pull go to the right hand when skiing on left foot...and left hand when skiing on right foot...practice one hand one foots
This is the life
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

On the one foots: get feet closer together...push down all your weight on the ski foot til the other comes off the water easily...you have to shift the weight over the ski foot...it would help to practice directly on boom...lift the foot over the ski foot not out to the side
It also helps alot to let the pull go to the right hand when skiing on left foot...and left hand when skiing on right foot...practice one hand one foots

Thanks, I'll give that a shot next time.
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 12:08pm
Had a good night footing last night. I got up on all 3 back deeps on shoes. I also was really pumped and landed my first back to front. Adam also got his first ever long line back deep without shoes. He did it twice.

Landis Backwards

Adam first LL back deep
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

So don't let go of the boom in the swing but if you do it's no big deal? Obviously the concept was improved upon with the seahorse.
George's last swing run. Yeah, no thanks on the swing...

That looked more like George was trying to check out...

Lane needs to throw some duct tape in the boat!
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 1:19pm
Does anybody have any tips on backwards boom height. When its high It is really hard for me to not let my feet slam in the water.

We had it high last night this was kind of an ugly get up. Got my first 1 foot
tho

v=wBhQnW4nKY0&feature=youtu.be">Backwards
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 1:21pm
bad link
Backwards
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 142143144145146 152>
  Share Topic