Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 144145146147148 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 1:09pm
Prop is 22p

Exact Prop
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 1:41pm
your friend is making some stuff up
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 1:42pm
why is that
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 1:56pm
Oh about the 41mph?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 2:00pm
right
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 3:29pm
Pretty much all of us know of Randy Filter from his Berry connection, but here is a video and backwards start move I have never seen before, not even by ADV or the likes thereof. I thought it was pretty cool (presently the 2nd video down on the footer's edge page)

https://www.facebook.com/TheFootersEdge/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2016 at 2:41am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Pretty much all of us know of Randy Filter from his Berry connection, but here is a video and backwards start move I have never seen before, not even by ADV or the likes thereof. I thought it was pretty cool (presently the 2nd video down on the footer's edge page)

Very cool video Larry...and amazing backwards switch move by Randy. He was truly ahead of his time! Don't think I ever saw him fall and he always made it look so effortless.
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2016 at 10:15am
Nice video! And all this time I thought a LLBD was a big deal!
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2016 at 10:38am
Originally posted by AirTique98 AirTique98 wrote:

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Very cool video Larry...and amazing backwards switch move by Randy. He was truly ahead of his time! Don't think I ever saw him fall and he always made it look so effortless.

Thanks Larry and Bill.
This video was from '81.
John showed me a homemade Randy Filter video a few years ago when Randy spent some time with the Barry's and the TN crew at Lake X one year. I'm not sure what year Randy spent with the Barry's but I would bet it was probably about the same time that this video was shot.
I remember Randy going forever on shortline and stripping out of his barefoot suit while skiing and finishing the run in his speedo. Absolutely amazing. I can't get out of my BF suit on dry land without help let alone while in the process of actually skiing.

By the way, in case anybody didn't notice the very bad ass boat in this video. That would be an American Skier.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2016 at 11:38am
Does this count as a landLandis
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2016 at 11:39am
Such a great video. That transition to backwards would be cool to try, but I lost count on how many ways and places I would break my body if I tried it.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 1:53am
41...LOL...no there is no max speed in tricks or wakes...at 2014 Nationals no one called for more than 47. Now there are guys who want 50 but at a tournament you're never gonna get it so call 99mph and yell hit it waterdog.

Actually the boats they run now will get 50+ and did also in 2014 but nobody called for more than 47. One reason might be few people can practice wakes at 50 with 5 in the boat.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 2:01am
That Sanger outboard...needs a 19 high five
This is the life
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 7:44am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

I have a ski buddy who has a 19p high five off a Merc that he is looking to move cheap
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 11:39am
We did figure out if we dont use the fly high the holeshot gets better. Its still not very good but it is better.

What speed would you think would be best for learning one foots? Im 175 im guessing 43 is enough off the 5ft but should I try for a bit more long line? Im sure once I get better at them I could slow it down a tad.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 11:50am
How big are your feet? 175, you should be comfortable at 37-38 LL, 1-foots should be easy at 40-41. If you have small feet maybe a mph more than those numbers.
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 12:08pm
Feet are about a 10. I think I need to just practice more. When I first learned how to barefoot pretty much as soon as I got on short line I wanted to try to learn 1 foots. And at about 40 I just did alot of face plants. Now that I have shoes I have not used my feet much because of bad water. But this is the time of the year for good water so its time to learn on feet.

Riding on my whole foot feels pretty weird and I think thats going to be the biggest hurdle. Every time I get up on the front of my feet it feels like they are going to grab. The balls of your feet are not flat so it feels like they can catch.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 12:12pm
Keep working on your form. I would not compensate with too much speed, get your foot underneath you. Pulling up on your toes will make things worse- your arch gets taller and the ball goes lower. Flex the ankle and relax your foot, it'll flatten it out.

At 195 with size 9.5-10 (and tall arches) I like more speed... But can do 1-footers at 42-43. Prefer 44-45 though. Get your form perfected on the boom and short line first.
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 12:19pm
Thanks Im going to. I knew the toes trick to not curl them. I actually naturally dont. Sometimes I can feel my toes hitting the water.

I kind of like being able to go a bit faster because I shoot for good form but if i mess up or fall back a bit i dont immediately face plant. I more just make a big spray and know I need to get more forward.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by lcgordon lcgordon wrote:

When I first learned how to barefoot pretty much as soon as I got on short line I wanted to try to learn 1 foots. And at about 40 I just did alot of face plants.

So to learn the one foots go back to the boom directly....no rope or handle....master them on the boom first.
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 12:47pm
Perfecting your form is key, not just a "flat" foot, but good upper body posture is just as important, nice arch in your back, chest out, shoulders back. Really helps to get the your weight centered on your feet.

I am a little bigger then Tim, at around 200 lbs with 10.5 to 11, When I was skiing, I would run around 37 mph and one foots at 39 or 40. Again the key is the form (which is why Andy and Roy stress practice on the boom), really gotta crunch, transfer weight (rotate handle) and LIFT your other foot off the water - all very slow and deliberate..

For fun, sometimes we would see who could ski the slowest (on 2 feet of course) - I was fairly consistent down to about 30 mph. If the conditions were good, the best I ever did was hold 28 - but at that point it is all about form. OH and at that speed the wake looks HUGE!!!
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 1:19pm

At 190 with a size 9 foot I like 42 for ones short or long line however, I can do them at 40 with good water. Warm water I like 43 and cold water I can slow down to 41. Boom itself I can get by 38-39.

Listen to what everyone is saying. Go on the boom and get your form perfected first. Faster speeds can make up for poor form but will not correct it.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 1:19pm
Speed depends on line length and pull height. The shorter the rope and higher the pull the slower you can go.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 1:23pm
Good Point Kev! We are usually at 100' and with my extended pylon makes the fly high a little taller then most, when I stand on the dog house the top of the fly high is just at the end of my reach about 8 foot.

BTW, still working on the jet sizes for your altitude, my outboard guy is off racing and have not been able to reach him...
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 1:49pm
Thanks guys for that info. I will work on form. I have been working with shoes and feel pretty comfortable. Also gotta work on backwards on feet. My backwards on shoes I get up everytime. Its pretty easy now. Shoes you can make alot of bad habits tho.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

I have a ski buddy who has a 19p high five off a Merc that he is looking to move cheap

Correction 18p
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 8:07pm
Thanks. I know he just bought the boat so he said he is a bit tight on cash at the moment. I think he is interested just not at the moment. If your friend still has it after a bit im sure we will be in touch. Thanks a bunch for checking for me tho
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 10:26pm
Those Sanger outboards can suck if not set up right. Ours had power steering an extra 15 gallon bow tank(no bow rise). We ran a HighFive 19. My buddy Joe Valenti had the trim rule created for him since the tourney boat was not getting speed with trim down...the skier sets the trim.

I've driven some really bad ones...with a guy on the boom...no power assist steering is a nightmare. The wrong wrong prop even makes the wake suck.
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 12:04am
Andy, I agree, any high performance outboard is tough to get set up right. Way more variables then an inboard. I have never paid much attention to the OB Sanger barefooter, but if I remember they have very little dead rise. Hopefully they are not designed like Sangers flat bottom drag boats. At least the mastercraft & malibu have a pretty defined Vee complete w tracking fins, they hold course with a boom very well.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 10:17pm
Due to many other commitments (for those of you who don't know, my daughter got married a month ago) Greg and I haven't gotten together in about 5 or 6 weeks for our long line back deep training. We finally got back out today. We were joined by Greg's down the lake neighbor David (samudj01) who is just starting his barefooting quest.

Here is one of two of David's starts. Sadly the camera went out of focus, but you get the jist. Sorry about that David.

I figured after the long layoff, I was either going to have lost everything gained to date and have to start all over again, or I was going to knock it out of the park. Went ok. This one was followed be an exact copy.

Greg had seven attempts and stood almost all of them up. But if you look closely at the first two, you can see his feet flying over his head, Never a good sign. He took some pretty hard licks but kept after it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 144145146147148 152>
  Share Topic