Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 10:08am
75 moral of the story, sit on the boat and watch everyone else and pop a chilly
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 12:44pm
Larry, or you pop the jet plane handle and it jams into your waist, feet come off the rope because you don't want the handle to bash them. Now what? Your legs are over your head and still plowing through water 5' down. We call that the "taco".
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 1:08pm
Yes, I've taco'd a few times. You're down there under the water, completely trapped and helpless, seeing your pathetic life flash before your eyes and the guys in the boat are saying "Oh just speed up a bit, he'll surface as soon as we get going a little faster." But with your butt leading and your legs up over your head, aiming you down like airplane flaps, there is only one way to go.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 1:34pm
you guys are getting me hungry and scared about this taco thing haha i know my father isn't a great driver and he will be pulling me haah
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 2:27pm
Sorry Ken, we got a little off track there. You should have no problems like those with a wakeboard start. Just a few things to think about when you move on to deep water start, but we'll cross that bridge when you get to it. Good luck with you efforts. I think that wakeboard video clip ripster posted will be a great help to you.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 2:36pm
Don't let these Knuckleheads scare you!

To Larry's point, the no stretch line is particularly important when doing a deep water start, if you are doing a step-off (ski, wakeboard, kneeboard, whatever) you could really use just about any line, longer can be better however like Ripster pointed out start just adjacent to the wake and stay right in that area, doing that line length may not make too much of a difference.

Personally I think a kneeboard is easier to start on then a wakeboard or surfboard, once stable have the boat throttle up to speed, probably WOT with your boat, as you begin to put pressure on your feet the wake/spray will actually push the board up slightly, or in essence, it will help get you up to that chair position.

If not already obvious, try to do this on very calm water, makes it much easier to learn.

Good Luck Dude!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 3:07pm
Similar to tacoing...

One day last summer, Keith brought along a swing barefoot trainer. Brad's buddy Erich gave it a try, never having barefooted before. Erich was quite reasonable in asking what happens if he stumbles or lets go.

I told him no problem, his body would just fold up around that swing like a wet dollar bill.

He appreciated my input, and ended up doing just fine on the swing.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I told him no problem, his body would just fold up around that swing like a wet dollar bill.

93 and still going at it.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 3:40pm
Great for the Bananaman. Drowned twice...sounds like he's done a couple tacos in his time, too.

Actually, sometimes at the end of the day I feel like he looked when he was getting helped out of the boat.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2008 at 2:33am
thanks guys yeah everything depends of how calm the water are or how much losers with pwc are there. yeah i think i'll do it on a roto-molded board.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2008 at 2:38am
man i liked that vid of banana george good insperation. i should get one of those DO IT sings to put in the boat haha
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 2:52am
I thought I would jump in here. I have been barefooting from the boom for a couple of seasons. Last year was a bust (literally) when I broke my collar bone on the half pipe skating which netted me 2 surgeries, one plate, six screws and a vicodin addiction, but I digress...

I am back into it this year and have progressed greatly tuning in to a site, who advertises on this site called "the footer's edge.com." I swerved onto this pro, Lane Dawg Bowers' instructional clips on U-Tube, and ended up forking out 40 buck for his video which is awesome.

I am mastering the "glide" position on the boom, can one-foot on the boom, and this weekend I am going to make the jump to 5 feet of rope off the boom. 75' of rope and 40 MPH may have been the old school way to do it, but ask anyone who has busted an eardrum about that. The "Dawg" professes a methodology of "dry land" practice before doing anything on the water; using the short rope off the boom, before the long line, etc...

I have practiced for 10 days getting to my feet from a short line "deep water start" on land with the roped tied off to a post. Sounds crazy, but I haven't fallen yet. And that is the point, to visualize, train and execute with no risk.

At minimum you will need a boom, barefoot handle and a barefoot wetsuit. Additionally Barefoot International sells "foot skis" which greatly reduces risk of injury since you can drop speeds from 40 MPH to a much more sane 28-30 MPH.

Those of you who know Lane Bowers know he is a consumate marketeer, always pitching his school and the gear he sells. However if you ever see him on the rope, you will become an instant "believer". The guy is freaking amazing. His web site is free and offers an amazing inspirational message pllus tons of free tips.

Check this out:

http://lanebowers.com/t/10794212/604618/215622061/1/

Good luck!
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 3:02am
i was on that site a few times yeah i saw the foot skis and every other gear but really don't want to ivest money in gear if i'm never gonna use them. i still have the boom but i don't have the clamps so the boom is use less i didn't try footing yesterday since i was grounded :S so hopefully this weekend ocean is calm and slow day that i can try it if i like it i'll begiin purchasing a suit and a foot ski

thnx for the help guys
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 11:53am
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

75' of rope and 40 MPH may have been the old school way to do it, but ask anyone who has busted an eardrum about that.

At minimum you will need a boom, barefoot handle and a barefoot wetsuit. Additionally Barefoot International sells "foot skis" which greatly reduces risk of injury since you can drop speeds from 40 MPH to a much more sane 28-30 MPH.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but take some exception to the above. Although all the "new" tools, accessories and aids do make learning easier, they are far from "required". And a 75' (well actually 100 is better if you got it)rope, again may be a little more of a challenge, but is still doable. Learning how to barefoot doesnt need to be a $700 investment. I learned on a crappy wooden ski with the bindings off, a $20 vinyl vest (that disintigrated after the first 20 or 30 tries, though nothing a few miles of duct tape couldnt fix) and a beat up pair of sneakers...total investment $0, experience...priceless.

I guess us old school guys, me, Eddie, JBear, Quinner take some pride in the fact that we learned the old way, when men were men and all that crap. It can be done, long line, dropping a ski or off a kneeboard or wakeboard. And if you do succeed learning "the hard way" its just that much more satisfying and its certainly doable. Go for it Ken, don't be intimidated.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 1:30pm
Certainly everybody has the their way and their will to learn. I guess other factors come into play. For the very young (my kids are learning with me and they are 4, 6, and 11) they are using the "sling" suspended from the rope with the foot skis and are thrilled to death. They "did it" the first time they tried. They cannot wait for more. On the boom I can give and get instruction. For the old (or almost old, I am 45) injury is a concern. If I were 22, filled with P$#@ and vinegar, a long line deep water start would appeal to me.

The site I recommended never says all that gear is required. They are simply tools. The "Dawgs" methodology discusses deep water starts, dropping a ski, starting on a wake or kneeboard, off the boom, etc. I saw a guy run the slalom course on a fence board once. Why doesn't everybody do that and say to heck with the $1100 D3? Better equipment enhances the experience. Not required? Personal choice I suppose.

I belong to a water ski club that has 15 families as members. I would say at least 6 of those guys are excellent barefooters of the blood and guts type you describe. I have yet to see any of them out foootin' except for one guy who takes a straight 40 MPH pass at sunset. Why? My feeling is they lost the passion for the sport since they stopped progressing. They don't know the fundamentals of the glide or the three point position. How do I know? I asked them about those things, and they did not recognize what I was asking, nor could they really instruct me themselves, because they learned "the hard way."

I have the means to get the gear, so I get it. While it is not for everyone, it works for me. I feel safe, I am progressing in incremental stages approporiate for my skill level, and I have yet to take a serious fall. Most of all I am having a lot of fun! I cannot wait for the weekend to roll around or catch a weekday evening set.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 1:37pm
Roy,

I certainly wasn't being critical of your approach. I just didnt want Ken or other beginners thinking a huge investment was needed to give it a shot. I agree that if there are aids out there to ease or enhance the experience, go for it. I just got a boom (used) and a suit (used) so my son could learn this year. He's stoked.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 1:47pm
No problem 75, I definitely did not take it the wrong way or as being critical. Thanks for clarifying, though. I read the thread last night before I posted, and felt compelled to post my experience which was different.

It all comes down to strength and fundamental techniques with or without equipment. My perspective is one of safety (that was a huge concern of mine, I have a lot of friends severely injured in this sport) and one of longevity: I want a positive experience that will last me a lifetime.

Barefooting is SOOO awesome for me right now. I see these guys doing stuff I want to do. I feel it is in reach for me too, for how I am built and wired. 28' off at 34 MPH has been unreachable for me and my slalom abilities so barefooting has set some new goals for me and I am stoked!
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 2:18pm
i think if i get up and love it by december i'll buy some gear but for now i'll do the kneeboard start at 40mph.

i done the hard way once. it was the 2nd time out with the boat we didn't had anyw toys so i jumped in the water with line everybody tought i was crazy haha. i never came above water only poped my ears and swallow water full of weed and mud not a happy moment so i quited that and now i want to try again since my goal is to learn to do every sport doable behind a boat

i'm tryng also to go on one ski so i can slalom later but with no luck i lose my balance once i drop a ski so i can't start by dropping a ski cuz i'll lose a balance

thnx for all the help
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

75' of rope and 40 MPH may have been the old school way to do it, but ask anyone who has busted an eardrum about that.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but take some exception to the above.

I guess us old school guys, me, Eddie, JBear, Quinner? take some pride in the fact that we learned the old way, when men were men and all that crap. It can be done, long line, dropping a ski or off a kneeboard or wakeboard. And if you do succeed learning "the hard way" its just that much more satisfying and its certainly doable. Go for it Ken, don't be intimidated.

Larry, I take exception to it too! You forgot about me! Another old guy here from back when it was more of a challenge. We haden't even heard about wake or knee boards ether because they weren't invented yet!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 3:03pm
Larry,

I am totally with you Brother!! Yes all these available items could perhaps help but are certainly not absolutely necessary.

Yes, like Larry and many others, including Pete, I learned way back in the 70's, wearing nothing more then cut-off jeans, a crappy old rope with a broom handle - handle, ski belt and a wooden ski as a step-off. We had a 16' Tri-Hull with a 70hp Chrysler and no instruction, web sites or clue for that matter. We managed to get it done and had a ball doing it.

BTW, taught Alex to barefoot long line stepping-off at 10yrs old, Maddie will be next whenever she is ready.

Basically use what you have, be smart and have fun, we always did!!

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 8:34pm
Larry: I am laughing so hard at your posts that I got tears. Thanks for the memories. Was cool to learn the old way but it sure is easier now and that opens things up to more people.

That's why I had to get busy with the bacerds before it was to late. My Ohio buddies, Gary B and Dale taugh themselves behind the boat using a picture of Brett Wing, back in the early 80's. Was lots easier with a boom and Eddie!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by k.o. k.o. wrote:

i think if i get up... by december

Well guys I learned the old school as well, stepping off long line. One thing I don't like about K.O.'s statement is the lack of commitment, that boy's gonna get hurt. Barefooting ain't tiddlywinks it's a "hell yeah, that was awesome " adrenaline rush sport. I'm not saying you have to take hits to learn but if you're afraid to then stay in the boat.

I firmly believe that although strength is hugh, barefooting is as much a mental challenge as it is physical. My biggest faceplants will come when I'm just out goofing off not thinking about what I'm doing, if I get serious about a run and plan and think about what I going to do and where my body position is supposed to be I have much more success and FUN.

k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 9:38pm
neeh i ainn't afraid i jump out of the boat just for the hell of it. the only things i'm taking slow is wakeboarding and kneeboarding yea i know the simplest cuz i've busted my knee already with wakeboarding and i can't even ride well i took a hard fall and my right knee hurts when i'm sitting for a period of time or sleeping when i get up i can barely walk. aand for footing i'm stoked to try this thing i really don't care about crashing unless i break i limb then i would go really easy with it

and i believe in the thing you learn from taking a beating.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

i think if i get up... by december

Well guys I learned the old school as well, stepping off long line. One thing I don't like about K.O.'s statement is the lack of commitment, that boy's gonna get hurt. Barefooting ain't tiddlywinks it's a "hell yeah, that was awesome " adrenaline rush sport. I'm not saying you have to take hits to learn but if you're afraid to then stay in the boat.

I firmly believe that although strength is hugh, barefooting is as much a mental challenge as it is physical. My biggest faceplants will come when I'm just out goofing off not thinking about what I'm doing, if I get serious about a run and plan and think about what I going to do and where my body position is supposed to be I have much more success and FUN.

i forgot to say i don't know if i can get up since i'm heavy 250lb and 6.3 in height so that is why i have doubt everybody i told i'm gonna do it told me lose some weight first. i hope this sunday we go out and i can try this make a film and pics for you guys. i also said by decemmber i'll be buying gears since we go to united states every december and i'll buy them to save money on shipping
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 1:29pm
I don't think your size will be that much of a problem. If anything it will force you to use better technique. My dad learned to barefoot behind a boat that would only hit about 34-35mph with him back there and he was 230lbs at the time. He ate lots of water but it really enforced the proper way to do it. I learned behind that same boat and we both used the kneeboard technique.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

75 moral of the story, sit on the boat and watch everyone else and pop a chubby

Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 8:22pm
Is it easier to do whit a pair of sneakers? Do you have the same control? I think it is safe
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 9:57pm

i forgot to say i don't know if i can get up since i'm heavy 250lb and 6.3 in height so that is why i have doubt everybody i told i'm gonna do it told me lose some weight first. i hope this sunday we go out and i can try this make a film and pics for you guys. i also said by decemmber i'll be buying gears since we go to united states every december and i'll buy them to save money on shipping

I have a good friend who is 6 foot and about 260. He barefoots a few times a week, and made the nationals in the over 50 class last year. Now, in fairness, he has been footing for more than 30 years, and he runs full throttle behind a Sanger which will do about 50 mph. BKH
Livin' the Dream

k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 10:02pm
i still didn't get a chance to go out. with fuel prices going up and buisness being slow had no chance i hope for this weekend but not gonna promise anything since were not so sure were going out
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Ben#155 Ben#155 wrote:

Is it easier to do whit a pair of sneakers? Do you have the same control? I think it is safe

Hey Ben. The sneakers are probably not a good idea. It sounds weird, but anything you put on your feet tends to be a little more slippery and harder to control. I would imagine that the first couple times you get up woun't be long enough to bother your feet so try it barefoot. Good luck to you.

Steve
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 152>
  Share Topic