Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 12:46pm
Hey
I want to be put in the old school crew. Learned in 1976 when my brother wouldn't pull me slalom. Jean shorts, life vest, Chuck Stearns wood ski, 75' line, no instruction. 5th try I went right down the lake. I remember it like it was yesterday.
As to us old school dudes loosing the pasion, barefooting is why I'm on this site. I bought my 85BFN two years ago to enhance my barefooting and for the endurance racing that my sons, my buddies, and I do. Many of the guys who endurance race are just short of "mid life" like myself, and they are some of the most passionate barefooters I've ever met.
In regards to the "new" gear, I'm all for it. If I had access to booms, BF trainer skis, and the all important barefoot suit when I was young, I would have used them (and i would have learned to go bacerds, which is still my dream). I have all that now and the biggest reason is to allow newbies the safest experience in learning to foot.
I have a very bad form when I foot, I plow instead of glide. But I'm trying to change that. Lane's videos are great teaching tools and many are free. Take it from me, learn the gliding style and don't shy away from the trainer "skis". My wife and her girl friends can even ride those.
Sorry so long, but I like the topic.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 1:52am
Well...not sure 1963 counts for "old school" but I quess its close enough.

LOL.

And I'm here to prove..that with Eddie's help an old dog can learn new tricks. So can you..so don't give up.

john

"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 2:52am
John, looking at that water I'm surprised you guys even skied!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 4:43am
Well you know HW we gotta do the best we can with what we got here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 7:20pm
finally had the chance to go out yesterday could not do it water was too choppy even with kneeboard and ski water was choppy i'm planned to go out during this week so i'll try again
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 6:33pm
I did not read all of this "advice"

But since you have a 2001 boat, use a 40' line with the wakeboard to put you in your sweet spot in the wake.

Tim

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 4:50pm
Thought I would jump in here to post on my killer footin' weekend. 2 weeks ago I got hammered trying to deep water start off the boom. I could not get stable in the butt glide and would bouce so hard it would pitch me off the rope. Got my feet smashed by the handle, eye socket smashed with water. I was about to say this is too much for me.

I came into the 4th of July weekend full of hope, 4 days of footin' and renewed enthusiasm to Never Say Die!

I started to fixed the problem Thurs. evening. I tried an alternate method to get up on the short rope on the boom: the hydro slide. Got up on my third try. Took a ton of passes working the basics: knees together over the ankles, feet gliding, not toes cranked back, and most important: working the power band. Guys at my lake thought I had been footing all my life by the form!

Friday I took the next step: Did the shortline off the boom. Boom was too high when I got hammered 2 weeks back. The rope had too much angle due to the height and once I started bouncing I could not stop. So I lowered the boom, feet around the rope, took off, arched my back, handle at the zipper, waited til I was out of the water, knees up and together, lightly set the feet in, felt the water (awesome feeling, it is like it is alive!) and pressed up slowly with a slight arch and I was UP! It was awesome. I took many passes like that!

So Saturday AM it was time to "get off the porch and run with the big dogs": Long line, behind the boat. Why not?! Now this is a lot more hectic. Many degrees of freedom, lots going thru my head. Everything was the same getting to the butt glide. No problem. However, I had a real hard time getting outside the wake. Real hard. After an number of tries, I resolved to get up between the wakes. Set the feet in... Rough ride, but I did it! I went about 100 yards, then shut it down. I could not control the spray. The water was rough enough I struggled to get my feet in the right form to control the spray. Next time!

Sunday I stayed on the short rope off the boom and tuned up my glide, three point position and butt glide. I started playing with slight side to side turns, working the angles in anticipation of some one foots.

All of that and I took only 2 big head plants all weekend

All of this from a 45 year old guy who barely tumbled up on the boom in May!

That's my story and I am stickin with it.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 5:18pm
Good weekend's work, Roy. You got a lot done in a short amount of time. Don't feel bad about taking a few more runs on the boom before going long line. As fast as you progressed, a little more time getting the feel of it is not at all unreasonable.

I did a little work myself this weekend. Brushing up on an old skill. Had this down many years ago, but havent done it in years, till last fall, I went to show it to the NE guys and missed it. Then TRBenj showed me up and hit it his first try. So I decided I'd better go back and work on it. Got her back.

Gives you something to shoot for next weekend.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 5:25pm
Nice go! Your butt did not even touch. Stud. Nice work. Footin' water looked pretty good.

Your boom looks pretty high, eh?
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 5:27pm
i envy you guys i still can't get up rough water. we had calm water past saterday but we went with people who had paid to go with us so they wanted to tube and not see me try to foot
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 1:17am
Good job LakeBoy and 75!

I have STILL not had the guts to jump out of the ski's. I can deep water start just fine so I'm content with that. Lakeboy, are you having trouble turning the board or are you just waiting too long... Or, is the boat picking up too much speed. To get you out there without doing a triple lindy over the wake, you will have to get out there before you hit the original roller that is created when the boat takes off. On the wake board you can comfortably go like 15-20 until you get into your three-point. Then the boat can gradually pick up the pace until you are ready to stand your butt up. You'll have to start cutting right after the boat starts pulling you. You will inevitably cut too far out but you can make it back to the good water as you feel comfortable.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Gives you something to shoot for next weekend.

Nice Goggles

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Nice Goggles

Bad eyes...contacts...keeps 'em from washin' away.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Nice Goggles

Bad eyes...contacts...keeps 'em from washin' away.

I used to wear contacts...

Now I wear glasses and just ski blind

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 1:38am
Very nice grave jump.

You have had a pretty good couple a weeks...bacerds and gravejumps...nice.

Personally I think the goggles, tinted no less, are way cool.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 3:10pm
I like the goggles myself.
Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 4:38pm
I just wanted to say that all of you guys give great advice. I learned how to Barefoot when I was 14 years old behind my Jet Ski with a KneeBoard and a lot of falls. Now I barefoot when ever I have the chance 12 years later, long line dropping a ski. I am one of the only people I ever see barefooting on my lake. Barefooting is something that I will always love. Thanks for all the great advice.

Jeff
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 7:22pm
Sorry guys, I haven't posted too much lately. I have been on the water doing quite a bit footin'. My wife is concerned I have lost my interest in slalom (I haven't).

Still working the basics on posture and glide. I have been able to long-line and on the boom with reasonable consistency. I took a huge wipeout last month on the long line at 42 MPH. Not just the tumble and roll, but more like the face-first scorpion style neck tweaker.    My previous falls over the weeks were like: "that wasn't too bad.." With this tumble I thought, " OK, now I know what they are talking about.." My neck is still tight, but still footin'.

I am always satisfied when I rack a few good runs. I don't push it for that "one more run." Keeps it safe.

Attached are a couple of pics from a mid-July session.

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2008 at 7:22pm
Just got back from a foot session with a crew I hooked up with near Sacramento. These guys are serious footers and really rip it up. A bit intimidating at first, but after the first pass, all was relaxed.

These guys really helped me out and re-focused me on the basics of my butt glide, three point position, glide and post,ure. These guys are not instructors per se, but each one of them takes a pilgrimage to Florida in the winter for instruction from the heavies like Bowers, Scarpa, and Seipel. It shows too in how well they foot.

I benefitted greatly from their experience and really makes the case that going out by yourself with the wife driving (my case) may not further your progress, and may even slow it down by developing bad habits. (again, my situation). Makes me want to take a trip to Florida....
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 1:47am
First time on the boom tonight. I've bounced around on my ass longline and got up for maybe 20 seconds. Then I thought I'd get a boom so I know what the correct posture feels like.

I did notice that with just the driver in the boat, and the narrow beam of my '78, the boat rolls over - a lot. I think I need some weight to offset.

Here's some video. Please give pointers. Is the boom too high? Too low?

1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 1:28pm
Mark, nicely done! Boom height looks fine. As far as form goes, straighten your arms, bring your shoulders back (stick out your chest) and bring your hips forward.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 1:35pm
Mark,

Boom looks good. Could be a touch higher so you are not so crouched over. Won't add up to too much, in my opinion, higher or lower.

The best thing you can do to help yourself is lengthen your arms. You are holding them very tight, and pulled toward the boom. Relax them, lengthen them. Get rid of the death grip. This will be a huge improvement and will help you when you get on the rope.

I heard a quip that makes sense to me: If you pull your arms toward you, you go backwards, if you push them away you go forwards. Give your arms to to the boom or handle. You will ski better, and have more strength.

Based on what I see you are ready to hook up a barefoot handle to the end of the boom and do some deep water starts. If you don't have it, go to thefootersedge.com and buy Lane Bowers instructional video. Well worth the 40.00. Also if you go to Youtube.com, Lane posts a lot of video there. Keyword "learning to barefoot" and one of his videos is sure to pop up. If you click the "DawgTV" channel, it will bring up 60 or so instruction clips.

Well done...

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 1:45pm
Mark, one thing I noticed is that when you swing yourself around, you do it so gently that your butt never really gets out in front of you. Thus, when you stand up, your butt stays behind the whole time and you can't confidently stand up straight because of it. When you swing yourself around, try to push your legs and butt ahead of you, so that you're gliding more on the small of your back (not actually but it should feel something like that) before you dip your feet in.
That way when you dip your feet in , you come up in the "chair" position since everything is aligned right- feet, then knees, then torso.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 2:27pm
Excellent tips, I'll try them on Friday. Especially the arm thing. Maybe that's why my arms are so sore today. ;) And work on the glide thing too.

I can deepstart all day long line. I have a nice Barefoot International line and handle. I just can't stand up - for long. Only 20 seconds max before a maximum velocity wipeout. So I thought I'd get a boom and work on that before I hurt myself. I do watch the Dawg on youtube too.

I'm surprised no one made fun of my funky jumpsuit I'm using. Got it off ebay, with the funkiest pair of 80s barefoot shorts. lol The suit says Oxbow something on the back. Must be from an Oxbow lake MA team.

LOL just watched again and I really notice the bent arm deathgrip.
1978 Nautique

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 2:37pm
Oh and when I bought the used boom the guy said it was a straight drop boom, I guess he was saying it's a contour boom. When I got it, it turned out to be a quad contour boom. So it drops down and sweeps back. It puts the gunwale pad right on my teak step-pad.

I thought that this might be an issue but in my extremely novice opinion, it doesn't seem to be a problem.
1978 Nautique

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 2:57pm
Mark, I second all the above but I especially see you with the classic C curve to the back. Your posture has you half way out the front right from the get go. Just throw those shoulders back, chest out and proud and then relax a bit. Your arms look like your pumping iron, this is supposed to be fun. Work on your posture and the glide will come.

Take Lakeboys advice and get Lane's DVD, you won't regret it. Secondly , hook up with a few of the guys at Lake George and do some footing with them, my skiing always improves when I ski with people better than me (which is most of the time)
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 3:23pm
Thanks Alan.

I'm bring all of my stuff to ski and barefoot and I hope to hook up with people up there.
1978 Nautique

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 3:35pm
It's going to be hard to correct any posture issues without those hips being more forward of the body before the feet get dipped in. You want to be in the "chair" position, but just tipped back a bit before you plant your feet so that once you do, it just looks like you're getting tipped forward in the chair. You want to be "stacked" right before your feet hit the water. I'm no expert but I think that's where MM should focus at the moment.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 3:40pm
I gotta disagree, Joel. His plant doesnt look too bad to me- if he's able to deep up long line, he's doing something right. His feet are back, knees are bent, and hes standing up slow. If you dont sit up when you plant, youre in trouble- Ive seen people plant with their back on the water- not pretty. The plant is always a little screwy on the boom anyways since you cant tuck it into your hips like you would a handle.

Mark, just work on that glide- arms out, shoulders back, hips forward. Im sure you'll make progress before Lake George, but Ill be bringing all my gear as well.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I gotta disagree, Joel. His plant doesnt look too bad to me- if he's able to deep up long line, he's doing something right. His feet are back, knees are bent, and hes standing up slow. If you dont sit up when you plant, youre in trouble- Ive seen people plant with their back on the water- not pretty. The plant is always a little screwy on the boom anyways since you cant tuck it into your hips like you would a handle.

Mark, just work on that glide- arms out, shoulders back, hips forward. Im sure you'll make progress before Lake George, but Ill be bringing all my gear as well.

Why not correct the issue as early on in the sequence as possible? MM's arms are just as bent before he plants as they are afterwards. My point is that there should be no major adjustment in your body position or arm straightening in your 3-point stance as compared to your actual standing position. If he can fix his body position in the butt glide or 3-point then all that's left is standing up. Same goes for long line. My guess LL is that he's not set correctly when he plants his feet, yielding an unstable position that doesn't last long behind the boat. You probably haven't felt this in a long time since you were probably footing at age 5 but once you start in the wrong position (e.g. butt-back) it's very difficult to shift that center of mass forward once you are on your feet (edit: meaning when the feet start behind, they stay behind). If you start with the right position it's easy. I'm just fresh on this stuff since I just started barefooting a couple years ago.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 152>
  Share Topic