Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4041424344 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 8:58pm
funny bacerds!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 9:04pm
I have gone backwards off the boom before. He is going at least 10 MPH faster than he needs to! maybe more.
Got Foot?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 11:34pm
Looks like a good way to F-up a rotator cuff. No risks no rewards I guess?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 1:46am
he should really have his hands opposite(palms under boom) and maybe not even be doing it without a leader line. reminds me of DANGER. i agree with the rotator being messed up and maybe even a head.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 5:13am
definitely not a "how to" video
This is the life
63CCSN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 1:54pm
"What brings you to the Emergency Room today sir?

"My buddies bet me I couldn't do it again..."
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 4:15pm
Crazy how times have changed, I was taught that way by Seipel in the 80's    Only difference is we started by sitting on the boom backwards and stepping off a flip turn ski. Maybe that's why I can barely throw a baseball anymore!!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Crazy how times have changed, I was taught that way by Seipel in the 80's    Only difference is we started by sitting on the boom backwards and stepping off a flip turn ski. Maybe that's why I can barely throw a baseball anymore!!!

I remember you posting that some time ago Alan, along with a picture of you doing it. I was going to try to track it down but couldn't think of where to start looking.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 4:42pm
That's how I learned it last year, was sitting on the boom. Not sure times have changed. I think people think barefooting is dangerous, and to learn it they must take risks. That fella in the video can jacked up 10 different ways doing what he is doing.
Got Foot?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

That's how I learned it last year, was sitting on the boom. Not sure times have changed.    

I don't think there's too many schools teaching that method anymore but back then we learned to front foot by stepping off so it was natural to do it backwards too. When I went back to Seipels the next year they were going right to deep backs though, no more steps.

Here ya go Larry, no picture it didn't happen LOL. That picture must be a split second of losing the ski because the ski foot is not on the water yet.

I remember the first few attempts you have a tendancy to really lay down pushing the feet forward and when you step off that ski it wizzes by your face. Fun stuff!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 5:03pm

That's how I learned it last year, was sitting on the boom. Not sure times have changed.    

I don't think there's too many schools teaching that method anymore

I think youre right Alan... until you posted that picture, I had never seen that method before! Pretty wild. Both Seipel and Scarpa start you off doing backdeeps.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 5:18pm
OK, let me clarify: I learned to ski backwards via the backdeep. I learned to ski backwards directly on the boom by sitting on it, not the way that fella in the video jumped out there.    I learned to ski directly on the boom well after I had mastered the back deep. Mostly for kicks I suppose.
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 5:20pm
Never took a video of it. Like I said, I learned the back deep first. Then I learned directly on the boom for kicks one day last summer.
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 5:28pm

... must be a split second of losing the ski because the ski foot is not on the water yet.

Here's another split second picture I always liked. Its my buddy I posted about a few years ago, when he passed away. Picture is from 1972. I gave it to him in 72 and his brother set it out with other pictures and memorabilia at his funeral. I took a photo of the photo, that day, hence the poor quality.

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 5:32pm
By the look of the picture, I wonder if skied that one away? His foot on the water is so out from underneath him, I can imagine his second foot came down hard on the water??!
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 5:39pm

By the look of the picture, I wonder if skied that one away? His foot on the water is so out from underneath him, I can imagine his second foot came down hard on the water??!

I am guessing he probably did, Roy. As I said, it was 1972. It was rough and crude and not very pretty. No booms, no wakeboards, no kneeboards, no barefoot suits, no one to teach us. We did start out with a vest (vinyl covered foam) but it pretty much disintigrated with our falls and not even 20 miles of duct tape could save it. So I recall some pretty rocky runs, and this was probably one of them.

EDIT: A little more history. TJ and I went our different ways after high school and fell in and out of touch through the years. We hooked up in the mid 90s and did a little skiing together again. I kept it up and advanced a bit. He didnt, but could still pull off a step-off after about 23 years.

Larry&TJ-1995
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 5:42pm
Yeah, those early days were not easy on the footer. Most who tried it, never went back to it cuz it was rough and no easy way to learn.
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 5:45pm
I received an old 80´s instructional video from mike seipel when I bought the EZ footer..he actually shows the flip ski method off the boom to do the first tries for bacerds bf...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 8:51pm
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 9:00pm
HW, love the front flip! Great move! Is it gonna make it into the 60's this week. That should knock down the ice and snow...
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 10:27pm
nice footing HW & friends.

HW, as a new boom guy, is that the normal height you run the boom?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 10:43pm
Steve,

That is very high. Very high is useful in learning some new things, such as back deeps, side slides, dolphin starts, maybe some others. Having it that high and the rope that steep can also make things like normal deep water starts and toe holds much harder.   For normal teaching/learning I would say bring the far end down to about shoulder height.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 2:23am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Both Seipel and Scarpa start you off doing backdeeps.

And backfoot100..Eddie Olson.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 2:28am
That sure brought back some painful memories!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 4:33am

Yeah, those early days were not easy on the footer. Most who tried it, never went back to it cuz it was rough and no easy way to learn.

Maybe, not for me though. Like Larry we had no idea what we were doing just went out and did it. Learned at 14 wearing cut off jean shorts and a ski belt stepping off my regular slalom, all behind a 70hp Chrysler hangin on the back of a Tri Hull, LOL. Didn't learn a deep start until I was in my 20's when I bought my first BF suit, which I still have BTW!

HW, nice touch adding Harry's last name in his video!!

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 3:13am
LOL CQ.

Learned deeps at TN in world famous barefoot cove. With a pair of cutoffs over my suit.

My instructor/driver (a well known ex-lurker on here) idles by while I was in the water and says "hey, you know the snakes come right down from the woods and swim right across the narrow part here?" As I am DEATHLY afraid of snakes..I made it up and footed all the way out!

Now thats what I call encouragement!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 4:02am
[QUOTE=jbear] LOL CQ.

Learned deeps at TN in world famous barefoot cove. [With a pair of cutoffs over my suit.]

"Cutoffs" being cut off jeans over the then stylish Speedo!! That in itself being incentive to get to one's feet in a hurry!

Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 4:54pm
Monday after Thanksgiving, 2009. Another cold one.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 6:32pm
thats some rough water!!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 7:19pm
Nice Back Deeps!

I take it thats the new Dry suit, looks like the new seals are working great!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4041424344 152>
  Share Topic