Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6768697071 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Skiing with Brenadan P. in about 5 hours. Wish me luck....

picures and video or it didn´t happen!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 2:37am
Long day footin' with Brendan Paige. And yes, Pictures and video to follow.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 4:39am
In the meantime here's a lesson on swing outs

This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 1:46pm
Ok, I know I haven't gotten any footing in this year, but Tuesday we took the day to head up to The Blue Moo to ski with Elaine Heller. So faced with a four and a half hour drive, we looked for alternate transportation and ended up getting there this way:

So this was really fun, as the kids hadn't been in the airplane since they were young. After some introductions to the controls, Sydney did most of the flying.

Anyway, we met up with some friends (TRSulliv) and interestingly enough my two younger girls Allie (12) and Erin (9) really were on the fence about giving it a try, but as soon as everyone started putting on wet-suits, they both wanted to "gear up" as well.

So Allie was third on the rotation, and of course we started in the swing, her first run down the lake she absolutely nailed the three point - a total natural, so we (Elaine) quickly transitioned her to the short rope. Below is her first run, Awesome Butt Glide and Classic 3 Point:

Next up was Erin. She too was very apprehensive, but when she saw the new suit I had picked up for her on Show Skiers dot com last year (Thanks for the heads up Mike Valant) she was really excited. Here is her run on swing, definitely got the feel for skiing on your feet. We'll continue to work on the butt glide and three point in the swing. Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps. Again this is a good video to illustrate how to use the swing, especially with a really small child (she is not even 50 lbs yet)

Last video is of my oldest Sydney, I have shared a couple of her video's of her starting out. She really wanted to work on long line deeps. She didn't quite achieve that goal on Tuesday but got very close. This video shows the cheeking out technique, what i really like is how stable she is (right up to the end) in the butt glide. I have to go spend some time with Hollywood to perfect the "help method" to get her over the hump and in the curl:

Overall a great day. I opted to sit out as we had four kids and one adult just starting and then my oldest working on LLD's, they all did great. I did sneak in one set at the end of the day, ouch was I rusty, but I did do a couple of tumbles and a one foot. Sorry no video, out of battery. Below is the crew, with Elaine:

Oh and I couldn't resist this picture
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 3:47pm
Nice videos. What a great day. Looks like a perfect place to foot.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 4:08pm
what a fun barefoot outing,
nice boat too
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 4:41pm
Bill - the Blue Moo is the Heller's private ski lake (check out Cowzrus.net) also the sight of the WI state tournament as well as a previous nationals event.

Andy - That is towboat #2 to be used for the WI state tournament this upcoming weekend. The trailer was registered in CA, but no numbers on the boat, so it maybe brand new demonstrator from Sanger - I neglected to ask...

In addition to showing what a fun day we had, I hoped to show some good examples of technique (glide, 3 point, point and flex, etc) and good use of equipment (boom, swing, etc).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Bill - the Blue Moo is the Heller's private ski lake (check out Cowzrus.net) also the sight of the WI state tournament as well as a previous nationals event.

Andy - That is towboat #2 to be used for the WI state tournament this upcoming weekend. The trailer was registered in CA, but no numbers on the boat, so it maybe brand new demonstrator from Sanger - I neglected to ask...

In addition to showing what a fun day we had, I hoped to show some good examples of technique (glide, 3 point, point and flex, etc) and good use of equipment (boom, swing, etc).

I am familiar with the Blue MOO lake. My family has a cattle feedlot and I am somewhat envious of the Blue Moo dairy. I always thought we should have done the same thing. Such is life!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 10:10pm
I think the boat going a little slower will help Erin get her feet planted. She did such a good job on point, flex and keeping focused. Just need to tell her to stand on the water(not try to skim over it)

I would have Allie get back in the swing and work one foots and planting feet smoothly and small hops, then have her ski directly hanging on to boom and practice planting feet(low boom)for a while and do one foots and then go back to the rope and she will nail it easy.

Then for Sydney, cheeking out is not necessary to longline, just plant next to the propwash and ski out when ready(Cheeking is a skill like any of this stuff and its fun so she only needs to "be more committed" to getting out over the wake, it may work better to start to the left and then go right(or visa versa) to get some momentum up to carry you across-but you have to cut hard with your butt-LOL. Don't be distracted if you get stuck -just plant and get up. Those "roll over onto faces" suck pretty much(we've all done it), she probably won't do that again.

My policy is that they have to be bored stiff and be able to be the BOSS of the swing before we move on and out of the swing(which may be revisited to instill confidence)

To keep the swing fun you have to be able to give them the "flyer" by turning tight at the end of the run and putting the boom high in the air---they love it--- then shut down just before you hit your wakes
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 10:36pm
Andy - GREAT feedback, I was struggling a bit with how we would proceed, but now I have a plan. Thanks a MILLION. Will post more videos of everyone's progress (mine too). Thanks again!

Bill - that is also my dream now. I am in a constant search for the right property, found one that would have been perfect, but the DNR said NO! Of course, I never got around to exploring the price aspect of the lot I found... HA! Oh well back to the search for still water...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 11:59pm
No problem. Post more vids as they progress.
And I'm not diminishing what Elaine was doing with them in any way, I watched the videos a few times each so I had plenty of time to see eveything, I think it's great they get to ski with Elaine, she must inspire them bigtime, I hope they get to see Elaine ski because so much of learning to barefoot is "monkey see monkey do" in fact, while teaching try to say the fewest tips at first, Keep It Simple Stupid works pretty well with kids.

Good deals on old Vortex stock at wakehouse, nice girls suits for $80-95.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 4:11am
found some cool new vids on the tube

Comp skiing

And the possible 2013 US Barefoot Nationals ski site Diablo Shores

This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 3:13am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

No problem. Post more vids as they progress.
And I'm not diminishing what Elaine was doing with them in any way, I watched the videos a few times each so I had plenty of time to see eveything, I think it's great they get to ski with Elaine, she must inspire them bigtime, I hope they get to see Elaine ski because so much of learning to barefoot is "monkey see monkey do" in fact, while teaching try to say the fewest tips at first, Keep It Simple Stupid works pretty well with kids.

Good deals on old Vortex stock at wakehouse, nice girls suits for $80-95.

Andy - I understand, I think to a certain extent since we are "paying" Elaine, as a good business person, she wants to show progress to her customers too. In the boat as we go back, we talk about what to work on. I have taken so many people up to learn with her we have a pretty good repoire now. I think your points above are great though, Allie will be the one that will probably get tired of the boom before she is really ready, but I like your idea of skiing her on the boom but out of the swing. Interestingly enough Erin asked me after dinner tonight if we could work on barefooting next week (we are off all week for the fourth) - couldn't keep the big grin from appearing on my face!

Great tips on the suits, luckily I think they are all fitted pretty well, I have the size 8 for Erin, Syd moved up to an adult medium, and her old 16 fits Allie pretty good (right height but a little loose yet).   I am probably going to have to buy another pair of shorts - XS...
Airgrabber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airgrabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 4:46pm
I started with a knee board thats before the wake boards came out. It just show how old I'm getting.
Life is good. Work hard! Play Hard!
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 9:24am
Home for a week and a half and spent the past two mornings working on tumble turns (boy these are ugly) and feet conditioning (or abuse). Yesterday I also tried the bacerds drag in hopes of getting to my feet bacerds soon - think Lane call this step/phase 1. My gut feels as though I have been hit several times with a baseball bat but no complaints here.
Good to be back on the water and hope to have the GoPro up and working by Wednesday. A safe and enjoyable 4th to all.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 6:38pm
Last month I was contacted via youtube by a guy from Guatemala who is moving to buenos aires, he is barefooter and his only concern about moving was not being able to foot here. He saw my videos and emailed me.
since then I ve been in contact with him.
He currently owns a 1988 malibu 19 flightcraft barefooter, he wanted to bring it here. Told him to do so but warned him to ask import regulation. Unfortunately he won´t be able to bring it. As local custom prohibit import us used pleasure boats.
So he will probably selling it and buy something here.
Fortunately the only barefoot boat in argetina is for sale, so I hook him with the seller. Its a 1990 Mastercraft barefooter 200 with a suzuki 200. Looks like he is interested.
I´m excited as looks like I will have a new barefoot buddy, will be able to share the experience...

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 12:34pm
Great news kapla!

Nice post Steve, I wish I could say we'll get together to ski soon but I'm just too busy. You could shorten up the rope another 5-10' to make the wake narrower, or just stand up behind the boat...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 4:50pm
Thats too bad they won't let him bring the Flightcraft but great that you will get a footin friend AND another boat to foot with maybe.

So I was footin and doing some deepwater starts and for some reason decided to try something different. I let go with one hand on the pull out and found out it really helps the cheeking out. If you are cheeking to the right let go (mostly) with the left keeping your hand on the handle but all the pull in your right hand.

I had learned a little trick from KSO that on front wakes you let 3 fingers come off the handle and that puts the pull all in the other hand-he was explaining to not pull in on the handle.
This is the life
fishslayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 2:29pm
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mLA3a6psp-g/T_XCDsgb7kI/AAAAAAAAAm0/vu9OHJtfdIE/w497-h373-o/2012-07-02_08-59-29_143.3gp

82 years young and still footing. When i grow up I want to be just like him>
We all have the need for speed at some point in our lives.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Airgrabber Airgrabber wrote:

I started with a knee board thats before the wake boards came out. It just show how old I'm getting.

I learned before kneeboards came out. It just shows....

Kap, it's great your going to have a footin buddy. You have made amazing progress on your own. Having someone to go with will make it even easier to learn new stuff. Even if he is no better than you and can't coach you, just having him along to critique and encourage (and compete with) is always motivating.

Steve, I want to take a private plane to my next footing outing. That would have been the highlight of my day.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 8:25pm
yup he will encourage me on the bacerds, and I will help him on the side slides!!!

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 8:30pm
Some footage from my future footing buddy...

nice waters over there
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 10:46pm
Hey Kap,
That looks like a good footer to hook up with. You're both lucky to have found each other.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2012 at 7:50pm
Got a little go pro footage. Quality a little sketchy. Not smart enough to get the file from buddys computer to my phone without Internet connection so I just filmed it from his screen.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2012 at 4:41am
That was cool
This is the life
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2012 at 11:57am
Okay guys, here's another video that you all can critique. John (FootFungus) bought a camera so we've got a fair number of uploads available for your amusement.

This was my first feet to feet tumbleturn. Looks to be like I'm letting the handle too far out still.

Steve first feet to feet tumbleturn
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2012 at 3:11pm
tumble looked just fine, keep doing it.

the little girl in the swing needs the swing adjusted, boom higher(over her head will get her arms out longer and her face away from boom) let the swing out a bit longer. you want her to have bent knees while sliding feet on water. take the time to get the swing just right

ask about anything in particular you want looked at.
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 8:25pm
Seb - that guy has great form, glad you got a new ski buddy!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 8:34pm
Ok, so back from a week at the cottage. We had 7 opportunties to barefoot (we violate the no wake rules and sneak one set in 5 minutes before the lake opens). The first day, my daughter dragged her feet and we missed it. Second day we got out and the oldest got one good pass on the boom. Third day I convinced my brother-in-law to drive me (wife won't and he said it was way to fast for him). The other days I didn't have a driver and couldn't convince any of the kids to go (I think it's to much pressure, because your racing all the other skiers...)

Anyway, I shot this video, and edited it up, I thought it was a pretty cool perspective...

Notes:
1.) Uggh Brother-in-law was in constant turn to avoid a boat at other end of lake - that made it tough to ski, really you couldn't steer around him... need to be thankful he tried to drive.
2.) Need to teach the wife to keep the skier in the shot
3.) Love how the wife gets excited anytime someone makes it up on their feet!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 10:56pm
Nice video. I love the go pro stuff. Brings a new perspective for all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6768697071 152>
  Share Topic