Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cooling System Ford Commander Engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
momanmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momanmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooling System Ford Commander Engine
    Posted: January-25-2004 at 8:38pm
I have a 1978 CorrectCraft Ski-Tique with a 302 Ford Commander Engine and have experienced an over heating problem during the past two boating seasons.
I have replaced the impeller in the original water pump system. The problem still exists. I have also replaced the original water pump with a new brass water pump that was recommended by a CorrectCraft parts dealer. This still did not correct the problem of over heating. I have replaced the thermostat with a thermostat I obtained from a CorrectCraft parts dealer. The over heating problem still exist. Water appears to be coming out of the exaust pipes in equal quantity during testing.
Does any one have any suggestions that might correct the problem.
Thank You
momanmo
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2004 at 9:23pm
Fords are notorious for leaking head gaskets, unfortunately they only have a four bolt cylinder pattern. I have my head's groved for wire loc gaskets and that never happens again. If you pull them be sure to run a tap in the block and a die over the bolt threads. This one opinion and idea.
SS 201
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2004 at 9:34pm
HOT HOT?

old engines get chunks of scale ( and old chunks of rubber ) into the cooling passages.

start simple and remove the tranny (and engine) oil coolers. free from obstruction? you would be amazed at the crap you'll find in there. i could make a fake xmas tree with all the pine needles, bark and sticks in the pre-strainer days.

most thermostats are made by robertshaw here in knoxville. if the work once thay are boxed and out the door. on the cars , i buy three and fire up the stove. whichever one opens first is installed and the other two are returned. take yours out and check it on the stove with thermometer. new does not equal good in thermostat land.

you could be sucking air into the cooling system from an frayed internally hose end (or a bad o-ring if you have a strainer.)

replace the two one inch hoses from the upper thermostat to the manifolds with some clear tubing. if you see air, you either have a air leak, bad head gasket or a crack in a casting. simple test.

does it run cool on the hose at the house and overheat at the lake?

take a look at you plugs. a lean condition will cause overheating also. clogged fuel fiter or carb, bad base gasket ect.

edit....damn FORDS...........

momanmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momanmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2004 at 10:10pm
HOT HOT ?

i first noticed the overheating problem while on the lake; the engine overheated and shut down and had to be towed to the dock...the engine also over heated while under test at the house

thank you
momanmo
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2004 at 10:22pm
if it overheats connected to the hose and fails the air bubble test, do a compression check. it may or may not show anything.

pull the heads and change the head gasket. fel-pro MARINE gasket sets are available at your local auto parts. i can look up the number if i cam find my book.)

bills right, the head bolts on a sbf don't have much to bite onto the deck.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2004 at 10:28pm
fel-pro part #'s

head gaket set for 302 and stamped steel valve covers is 17260

SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2004 at 8:23am
It's probably blowing on the exhaust side, if it was a closed water system it would be blowing back up the radiator with the cap off. Lean ,junk etc are alway's possibilites. However head gaaskets are you best bet. Lean conditions, too much timming etc would show more under a load such as running in the water. Have changed tons of them, my opinion, good luck.
SS 201
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2004 at 9:06am
The 5.0 was known for head gaskets blowing but the engine will withstand significant abuse before this.
This is a excerpt from one of many forums on Ford engines.
SS 201
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic