NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got LEDs?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got LEDs?
    Posted: June-22-2008 at 1:55am
So, about a year ago I decided LEDs would be a sweet addition to my interior lighting, but I never got around to installing them. My boat already had interior courtesy lighting but it consisted of 3 incandescent fixtures: one in each gunwale and one up in the bow storage area. Well, I sure fixed that. I got these 5-LED fixtures on ebay, 4 in total, and used double-sided foam sticky pads (3M heavy duty) to adhere them to the existing fixtures, so that the lighting could be easily converted back to stock if needed. I think the 5 LED units were about 5 bucks each. Finally installed them today and I'm ecstatic about it. They are BRIGHT AS HELL and cast a cool blueish-white light throughout the boat. I installed one in the footwell of the driver's seat as well, above the steering rack, to illuminate that entire area. Awesome upgrade. I feel like I've really "pimped my ride". The LEDs combined with what I feel is the best looking "nighttime-lit" SN dash of all time makes for one hot booze-cruise twilight cruiser:

LED In 2000 SN
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:09am
Sweet! Just the ticket for those midnight rides with mrs M3Fan.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:16am
I will say, I felt really guilty snipping the old lines to the existing fixtures. They were really neatly wired with corrugated sheathing around them and heat-shrink waterproof connectors and everything. This boat is really wired nicely! Everything is VERY neatly and cleanly wired. Well, "was" anyway.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 5:03am
How 'bout some pics pics of your lights Joel. Sounds like a great upgrade to the incandescent lights, and you could probably run them all night with little worry of running the battery dead since the LED's are so efficient and use little power. I was actually thinking about this same thing the other day I was going to poke around and see what I could find.

Edit: I missed the link. I see them now, looks great. Do you have any pics of the lights themselves? I'd like to see what size and shape they are and how many LED's are in each light.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 5:11am
Hey Joel,

You mentioned bluish light, but based upon the photos looks like they are actually white.

If you have blue, be careful. Mikeski wired up his whole boat with blue LEDs, and ended up changing them out after he got a ticket from the Sheriff. Seems that, at least here in CA, blue lights are reserved for the law.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 11:26am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Hey Joel,

You mentioned bluish light, but based upon the photos looks like they are actually white.

If you have blue, be careful. Mikeski wired up his whole boat with blue LEDs, and ended up changing them out after he got a ticket from the Sheriff. Seems that, at least here in CA, blue lights are reserved for the law.

BKH

Brian, from the looks of it thats a reference to blue/white as opposed to yellow/white lights.

Nice job Joel, that really is a sharp boat. Looks like you didn't make it out yesterday either?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 11:59am
available now are LEDS for the hull, you now can pimp out on the water too, the water will glow azure blue at dusk and it will put your lady in the mood...lol
I did just get a flyer for underwater LEDs, and i kinda liked them.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 1:26pm
Guys, you're spending to much time over on those other sites! The bling is rubbing off!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Guys, you're spending to much time over on those other sites! The bling is rubbing off!

ROFL!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 3:49pm
Uhh Yeah, I'd have to agree with Pete on this one. Please tell me some of aren't going to be on the show....

" YO! Pimp my Correct Craft!"   
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 5:20pm
I was thinking about this post while in the proximity of toxic fumes. I think a couple of those underwater lights on the stern could make skinny dipping interesting!   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 5:57pm
81 was correct- I meant blue/white rather than yellow/white. Like, pure, ice cold white. They are 5-LED fixtures. They look like little chrome rectangles with all 5 lights in a row. I can't seem to find them online anywhere now- I'll try to snap a pic at some point.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 9:31pm
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:44am
man when we get some extra money we will definitly put some leds in the boat and under our platform.. joel nice job man we may copy that stile but only difrent coler like blue or green anything that will pop haha
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 2:03am
Randy, that's not it. The ones I have don't have a lens over the LEDs. The 5 LEDs are in a row like that, but the two outer ones angle out a bit to spread the light out. They look nearly identical to these, but with 5 rather than 3 LEDs per unit. LED Accent Light
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 10:27am
now only if you could an LED prop, some type like the ones you use on your valve stems of your car
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 3:59pm
I wired our gunwhales for LEDs last winter. They aren't for looks, but with black carpet it's very hard to find objects in a cluttered boat when you come back to the dock after sunset.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 5:06pm
put some hair on it Hollywood
80 Ski-Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 1:16am
I hope they are better than the ones I bought for my trailer. They were "rated water proof, submerged for 10,000 hours." They were full of rusty water by the second weekend at the lake. The side markers wich were supposed to be totally sealed have now failed after only a couple of trips. I am very pissed at the people I bought these from, I payed good money to have top notch lights on my new trailer and now they don't freakin work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic