NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kill switch install help needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brittcrowell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kill switch install help needed
    Posted: June-24-2008 at 9:02pm
So I moved to a state where I have to have a kill switch on my '93 Nautique. I went and bought one at the local marine dealer. Never installed it last year and thought I might this year so I don’t get a ticket for it. My wifes boss got a $250 for not wearing his last year while cruising around at a wide open idle. I don’t need any extra trouble!

I've since lost the instructions, but they only said some thing about a blue wire in a Merc application anyway. Did a search here but couldn't find anything so far.
The switch I got is Saf-T-Stop:
http://tinyurl.com/5shj4j

So what’s the best way to wire this little bugger up?

Thanks
Britt
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 7:39am
Here's Tims (TRbeng) wiring diagram. I thought that he had shown the location of the kill switch but it's not on this one. It should be wired into the purple wire that feeds the ignition.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brittcrowell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 10:01pm
Thanks for the diagram Pete.
I did try and install the switch last year.
I just put in in line with the ignition breaker (the power to everything one). Then I found out the the switch is closed when in the down position and open in the up position. I thought that maybe the switch was installed backwards, but just assumed I didn't know what I was doing.
Now it sounds like the switch might be installed upside down in the Saf-T-Stop housing.

Britt
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 11:01pm
Britt, test the switch with a ohm meter to make sure you know the on and off positions. If you don't have a ohm meter, a test light on the load side of the switch will tell you. Get a cheap volt ohm meter. They are $20 to $30. Handy tool to have around the boat, house or car.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic