Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

75 Nautique progress

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tellarico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tellarico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 75 Nautique progress
    Posted: July-03-2008 at 1:34pm
a picture of my teak swim platform in original form and after sanding with 80 grit belt and 40 grit orbital. I don't believe they had stainless steel nails in 1975 and the one in the slats between the boards bleed black badly. I found a piece of teak in town and will make new ones. I think I will make them a hair wide and glue banging them in place with a rubber hammer. Any reccomendations on glue?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Tellarico Tellarico wrote:

Any reccomendations on glue?

Teak because of the oil content is tough. I would recommend a polyurethane glue.

Even stainless steel screws or nails will produce the black staining. The platform sounds homemade (especially because they weren't available from CC untill 78 or 79)if you can see screws. They should only come up from the bottom side. You will want to bleach out the wood as well. Try one of the commercial teak brighteners first.

Edit: You just got the pictures posted so now I can see the "after" results. Looks pretty good to me!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tellarico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tellarico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 5:47pm
The screws up from the bottom are ok save one that barely peeked through and bled. I think I may make the smaller slats that go between the boards a little wider, use the polyurethane glue you recommend and pound them in with a rubber hammer.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 5:51pm
Is that the same platform? The original doesn't look like it has slats? Perhaps I'm confused. The end product looks great. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Tellarico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tellarico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 5:56pm
It must be the angle of the picture because it is the same platform. I plan a little more sanding than teak oil. I will post the final product when I'm finished.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic