Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teak Swim Platform Refurbish - 98 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
correctski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teak Swim Platform Refurbish - 98 SN
    Posted: July-10-2008 at 3:16am
I need to refinish my teak swim platform. Any suggestions on 1) process, and 2) stain to use?

Thanks.
1998 Ski Nautique
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 12:00pm
Correctski,

Depending on how bad the platform is, many of us just simply do a sand job (taking away the aging etc)then after cleaning thoroughly and drying thoroughly apply a teak oil until saturated. I use a product called Amazon Gold.
This will bring out the golden, natural color of the teak.

If the board has been stained and sometimes covered with a Polyurethane, You can strip it off and then sand and so forth...

They can always be brought back !!! I never thought a platform that I had that was stained a dark walnut, then plastic coated would ever revive itself and with a little time and patience, it came out unbelievable...

Now, staying on top of it with the oil, keeps it in great shape..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 12:06pm
Suggestions from my experience.

If the condition is just faded and molded then you can sand it all down as one intack piece. Obviosly remove it from the back of the boat. A random orbital works well for sanding -- start with the least aggresive grit and work towards the most aggressive needed to clean it up and then work your way back down to make it smooth as a babies behind. You will need to hand sand the tight spots.

If the condition is worse, then you may have to disassemble the individul teak pieces. Not sure what boat platform you have, but this was pretty easy on my 78 SN.     

After it is all sanded (and reassembled) then the only thing you should use on it it Teak Oil (someone else will probably have a brand fav -- I can't remember what brand I used). It will most likely take many coats and it will take a long time to dry/ soak in properly between coats.

I had the best results by applying a few heavy coats (apply with rag and brush in the tight spots, careful not to leave any stroke marks), then doing a light sanding with 220 to 440 grit when those coats were completly hard, and then applying a few more light coats. In the end I think I put on 8-10 coats. Night and day difference in before and after.

Oh yeah, make sure to do the gunrail steps at the same time -- if you have the teak ones.

livin', lovin', lovin' livin'
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 12:19pm
DO NOT SAND IT DOWN!! If you sand it down there is a good chance you will soon have screw points sticking through in the near future.

Old Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 1:28pm
If you do a have to sand I would lightly hand sand. behindpropeller has a good point (no pun intended) in that you could take off too much material and end up with screw points scratching that expensive ski/board ouch! If its not in too bad of shape try a teak cleaner/restorer such as starbrite.
99/90/80 Ski Nautique
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 4:03pm
Bleach will get rid of mold...FYI.

Tim

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

DO NOT SAND IT DOWN!! If you sand it down there is a good chance you will soon have screw points sticking through in the near future.

Mine was in really bad shap and I sanded down. What a big mistake. Now bolts are sticking and I don't like how it looks. I grind them a little bit but I think I would have to replace them eventually. On the good side it looks great

Before:

After, you can see the bolts:
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 6:31pm
Use Shorter screws.....

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 6:37pm
You can get three step kits at just about any marine retailer. The first step cleans the teak. It's actually more like mild stripper. Second step brightens it and the last step is the oil application. You follow the directions. You might have a do a few applications of the cleaner and maybe touch a few areas with a scotchbrite pad or maybe a bronze wool or bronze brush but you should never have to sand it or take it apart. Just follow the directions of whatever kit you get and you'll be fine as long as you have a little patience.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Use Shorter screws.....

That's what I heard, shorter and thicker. Is on my to-do-list.

After sanding it I used the three step. It worked great. So far I have applied the teak oil twice. Is looking better than in the picture which was after the first application. I guess the wood is absorbing it on each application.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 7:37pm
When I got my boat the deck was in real bad shape. I used 60 open cut sandpaper on a finishing sander, I had read that you don't want to go down to highr grits because of the way that teak releases oils that will just clog up the grain, the idea is to leave the grain open. So, after sanding, I cleaned the grain with a weak solution of laundry detergent and TSP using a stiff brush to scrub it with the grain. Then rinsed it very well. After it was real clean I let it dry in the sun and then overnight. After it was completely dry, I applied Starbrite teak oil until it wouldn't hold any more. Now I just keep the oil applied occasionally and it looks great!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 7:46pm
That makes sense. After sanding and cleaning I applied the teak oil and it wouldn't absorb the oil. Now it seems that the wood is absorbing the oil better.
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2008 at 12:58am
Another point that might be of interest ---

I wish I had affixed my platform to the boat or a work bench when allowing the coats of new teak oil to dry.

I found that the platform twisted a small bit out of square when the new oil/ moisture was being applied and soaking in.

I felt that if I had secured it, it would have stayed square/ level.

Just my experience and as I said my platform was really bad and required sanding and taking apart to properly refinish it. Teak is an oil/resin rich wood, but I have found it will soak up oil no matter how fine you sand it so long as you clean it well betwwen sandings (vacuum and tack cloth)

livin', lovin', lovin' livin'
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2008 at 4:12am
I like the Teak Guard system. They have very clear instructions on how to prep the wood. It is a non-oil, non varnish system that will make your deck look a sweet honey color. Go to MyBoatStore.com.
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2008 at 8:29pm
2 or 3 times with amazon cleaner and a med. brush.    4 or 5 coats of amazon teak oil after wood is completely dry... all you'll need for a long, long, time.....
bill
correctski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 12:50am
Thanks for all the suggestions. I sanded it for the first time a few years ago but apparently that isn't the thing to do...glad I asked. I'll check out what they have at the local marine.
1998 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2008 at 5:58pm
Absolutely do not sand it down, you'll never be able to replace the material you're removing. Pull the screws out and hit them on a bench grinder to remove the tips. There are pilot holes in the wood already and plenty of thread for bite.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic