Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

70 Barracuda back from the dead!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 Barracuda back from the dead!
    Posted: July-28-2008 at 5:52pm
I finally got a full weekend of use out of the 'cuda! After finding it on this site (and then again on eBay), dragging it out from under a tree (where it had sit for YEARS), an engine rebuild, LOTS of cleaning and de-leafing, new wiring and fuel system, and COUNTLESS hours ignoring good drinking buddies, she is back in action!

The weekend started out kind of ugly with wheel bearing problems on the road:

But then FINALLY got to the water around 2pm and got to run some gas through the old correct craft:

and hang out at the cliffs with the cool kids:

Got caught in a thunderstorm then a little post rain boarding in the fog:

All-in-all, the weekend was a HUGE success for me!

The boat ran great. Someone give me a thumbs up or thumbs down on these numbers:
Max rpm was about 4300 loaded with me, the girl, cooler, full tank, and a little excess water in the bilge.

Temp stood straight at 170, bumping to 190 once.

Oil press stood straight up, and the battery at 14-15v.

The speed-o wasn't working, but my dad ran beside me in the i/o wellcraft and verified a rough 40-45mph. Good enough. I had thought that it might turn a few more r's, but I may be off.

I have some learning to do on the slow speed and reverse aspect of the inboard boat... luckily, this was my slip next to the houseboat at the marina:

BTW: Dale hollow lake is an absolute paradise. We stuck the houseboat in a cove about 400 yards around the corner from one of the 4 hidden slalom courses on the lake. When I wasn't out running the barracuda, I sat and watched skiers of all types take a shot at the buoys!
Korey Morris

1970 CC Barracuda Project
1993 Sport Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 6:46pm
Glorious man, nice job. Your about right on the rpms, rejetting might get you a couple if your way off there but is probably about right and mostly something that would only change with a prop change.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 7:10pm
Sounds good man. I was at Dale Hollow last year for a week. I don't know what course you were at, but we also parked the house boat in the same "creek" in one of the coves and checked out the skiers. How is the water level there this year? When I was there late last year, water level was down a bit because of Cumberlands dam problem. Not sure if that is fixed yet or not, but I would go back in a heartbeat either way!

PS-The pictures did not load for me. Anyone else have problems?
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 7:14pm
Just thought of this, and it would take a hurculean effort, but a CCFan.com reunion on Dale Hollow, renting a bunch of house boats, would be sweet!

Sorry for the thread jack, Korey, but you got me all excited thinking back.
Boats:
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 7:14pm
Joe, thismight sound familiar (just not as gnarly quick)

(quicktime cell phone format, I'll get it converted or up on youtube later)

The rest of the photos here
Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 7:44pm
azeus17, We camped up in Fanny's Creek (first big creek on the left out of state dock. We ripped up the nice water in Illwell (sp?) creek on the other side of the no wake at Wisdom Dock. I WILL be back to that stretch or water. I saw FOUR boats on it Sunday, two of which where mine and my dad's. Water level was fine, nothing abnormal. We drove home on US127 which goes over the dam at cumberland where this is still the sight:

Still down ~70 feet. Still a massive lake though!

Dad has a houseboat at KY state dock on Dale, so god knows I'm game for the CCFers on Dale, even though it took me 5 1/2 hours to get there this time... (should be more like 3)
Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 1:36am
Korey,good job.Addictive isn't it?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 1:48am
I still admire the youthful energy. Back in the water in only a couple of months. Nice job. BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 7:52am
Korey,
I see you're smiling and you should be! Getting the boat back running was a great accomplishment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 7:59am
Well done Korey! The Cuda looks great... next step: make the trailer shine again
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 12:37pm
Actually next step(s) for me:
1- Get the trailer working like new again. I WON'T have another problem on the road again...
2- Get rid of the AN Decals
3- Get a plan for refinnishing, probably sand and polish the deck, sand, fill, and paint the hull (it's pretty rough)
4- not actually paint it this summer
5- use the crap out of it for the next 6 weeks or so.
Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 2:12pm
Good plan!
Boats:
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 3:07pm
Damn, priorities change quick...

Originally posted by korey korey wrote:

1- investigate possible blown head hasket in tow vehicle...
2- get some more money...
3- Get the trailer working like new again. I WON'T have another problem on the road again...
4- Get rid of the AN Decals
5- Get a plan for refinnishing, probably sand and polish the deck, sand, fill, and paint the hull (it's pretty rough)
6- not actually paint it this summer
7- use the crap out of it for the next 6 weeks or so.
Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 1:16am

Damn, priorities change quick...

1- investigate possible blown head hasket in tow vehicle...
2- get some more money...
3- Get the trailer working like new again. I WON'T have another problem on the road again...
3A-get some more money
4- Get rid of the AN Decals
4A-get some more money
5- Get a plan for refinnishing, probably sand and polish the deck, sand, fill, and paint the hull (it's pretty rough)
5A-get some more money
6- not actually paint it this summer
6A get some more money
7- use the crap out of it for the next 6 weeks or so.

Kory, I re-adjusted your priorities chart for you.. sometimes it seems like all you do is throw money at these old tugs.. but well worth it!

Actually Im glad to see that it runs good... Checked out your pics...the smiles on your faces tells it all! The 'cuda is something to be proud of!...with a "little" TLC, she will be a great looking ride!!!

You planning on painting her? Im planning on painting the "wildman" 68 cuda I just bought in May... We should have a "paint the hull" party!!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 1:51am
Yeah I'm thinking paint will be the best course of acton for the hull. The deck is pretty straight, but the hull has several hacks that have to be through the gel. Both have been primed and painted flat black. I can stand to sand through it all on the desk, but all that sanding on the hull may kill me.

As far as the priorities go, you added a few important steps. Fortunately, most ofthe costly stuff is behind me. So far I'm not into it too deep. It's been a pretty economical project, and I couldnt be more happy!

As far as the truck goes.... Found a '01 Jeep Cherokee Classic, 2 door, 4.0l, 5 speed 4x4 for a good price that may just replace it. A cool, but odd combination in that beast!
Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 8:38am

3- Get a plan for refinnishing, probably sand and polish the deck, sand, fill, and paint the hull (it's pretty rough)

Korey,

If you are planning on a hull (and maybe deck) restoration, I highly recommend you look into doing it in gel coat rather than paint. It will be more work but in the long run the gel will give you far better service. If you have done any spraying, it's really not too different than paint. It will also increase rather than decrease the value of the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 10:50am
My brother has a cherokee 4L - it won't pull a small trailer without overheating - he has to turn the heater on to keep it in control (wife drives separate LOL) Apparently this is the way they are, he has taken it in several times.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 11:00am
Nice job - congratulations.
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

My brother has a cherokee 4L....

A discussion for another thread, but quickly:
My family's had several. They have cooling issues. The concensus is to replace the plastic radiator with an aftermarket AL radiator. They are prone to plugging and internal bypassing.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

gel vs paint

I'll be looking into that for sure. Its still a couple of months off right now.
Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic