NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

vibration and noise at certain speeds

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
theumer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theumer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vibration and noise at certain speeds
    Posted: August-04-2008 at 3:52pm
Well I think almost all of the kinks are worked out of the boat, but had her out on the water this weekend and just one last thing is bothering me.

I get a slight vibration when I kick it in gear at idle speed...it's nothing too crazy, but enough for me to notice in the steering wheel. When I speed up, at certain speeds or possibly RPM I get the same vibration accompanied by some noise. Then at other speeds the boat runs perfectly smooth. I did notice that I get a fairly steady flow of water coming in from the prop shaft and was wondering if that could be the culprit? Any ideas or places to start? Is there a bushing or bearing to check where the shaft goes through the hull and how do you look at it?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 4:27pm
you need to tighten the packing gland, water issue. And then you also need to check the alignment and/or replace the dampner plate, vibration.
theumer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theumer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 4:40pm
just had a tranny rebuild and alignment...also had new damper plate installed at that time...are there other common culprits to check? thanks for the help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 4:46pm
what about the prop is it dinged up?

Who aligned it?

might have a low idle but that would only effect the inital vibration and not the at speed one. You may have got a cheap rebuild/parts on the tranny and alignment job.
theumer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theumer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 4:50pm
harbor marine in everett, wa did all the tranny/alignment work for me...prop looks good...almost feels like something under the boat could have a little play or is a little loose which vibrates at certain RPMs/speeds...the boat saw some salt use before i owned it so not sure if that helped something corrode/rust
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 5:05pm
check the strut bushings for side to side play, but they should have check that when they replaced the tranny and aligned it unless they did a half ass job like so many shops do.
theumer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theumer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 5:09pm
thanks for the help...yeah after the $$$ i spent i hope they didn't half ass it, but you never know. wish i could have sent it to eric, but the spline welded itself to the drive plate...not fun. i will check everything from the tranny back to make sure its all tight, and of course crank down that packing nut a little. i'll post results...could my hull just be making noise at certain speeds??? it's been doing this since i have owned the boat, improved slightly after tranny rebuild.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 5:38pm
Chris is right on, you want to check that strut bearing now just grab and the prop and try to move left right, up down any movement is bad. Might also have a rudder that is loose and likes to chatter grab and wiggle that while you are under there.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
theumer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theumer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 5:44pm
thanks for the pointers Joe....if that rudder wiggles is it time to replace or can it be tightened somehow?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by theumer theumer wrote:

thanks for the pointers Joe....if that rudder wiggles is it time to replace or can it be tightened somehow?

have somone help you and loosen the packing gland and push it up then tighten the packing gland down for the rudder.
theumer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theumer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 9:25pm
so after spending a couple minutes with the boat in the driveway today, i rotated the shaft to see how it felt. It rotates pretty freely most of the way around, but there is a small spot where it feels just a little tighter. could that be the source of my vibration?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by theumer theumer wrote:

so after spending a couple minutes with the boat in the driveway today, i rotated the shaft to see how it felt. It rotates pretty freely most of the way around, but there is a small spot where it feels just a little tighter. could that be the source of my vibration?

The shaft should feel the same all the way around. To me, it sounds like your shaft is bent. When this so called marina aligned the trans, did they bother checking the shaft?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
theumer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theumer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 9:39pm
i am assuming not...might be worth a call...they did give me a one year warranty on the tranny so maybe i can WTF them on this one. should be buttery smooth after the money i spent there. add this to the lessons learned book for me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 10:08am
either the shaft is bent or it is not aligned properly. Did you check the side to side and up and down play as well as the rotation check you did?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 10:19am
theumer, Have you seen the pictorial thread Eric did on alignment? It really is pretty basic and only requires some basic tools. (2 9/16" wrenches and a feeler gauge) If I were you, I'd unbolt the shaft coupling halves at the trans and check the alignment myself. When checking, you can check for a bent shaft forward of the strut at the same time. It takes about 30 extra seconds!!! I wouldn't trust the marina.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 10:35am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

only requires some basic tools. (2 9/16" wrenches and a feeler gauge)

You must be using the Force to adjust it?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 10:44am
Mike at harbor marine is good with tranny's, but i dont know who did the install, im sure you took out a second mortgage after you left there, but, whats done is done and he may of eyeballed the alignment and thought it was good. i would go back through and check everything
i just finished a tow boat after 3 rebuilds and mine was the fourth, the first thing i did was check the alignment and it was out .021 and the mounts were froze and never touched and i had the customer take the mount to the guy's shop and his kid said you'll never break that free......to end the story my customer asked him i thought i paid you to align it....we did get it freed up and i got the alignment dead on and no more overheat on the trans.
This guy should of never had to go through this, his boat was down 4 weeks and probably lost 20 or 30 tows at 400.00 to 500.00 per tow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 10:48am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

only requires some basic tools. (2 9/16" wrenches and a feeler gauge)

You must be using the Force to adjust it?!!?   

Theumer, Greg is working me over here so I had better clarify my statement. The tools mentioned are needed to CHECK the alignment. To actually align the engine, larger wrenches are needed for the engine mounts!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 10:55am
I used a crowbar to shove the engine side-to-side - didn't take much - it was obvious how much it moved but a pencil mark would be a good idea so you can go back to your starting point if need be.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 11:04am
I was only saying good morning Pete.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 11:18am
Good morning to you as well Greg!! No cam shaft yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 11:31am

No cam shaft yet?

Hopefully it'll show today.
1988 BFN-sold

theumer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theumer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 3:53pm
yes second mortgage is unfortunately history now. ..mike was awesome and knowledgeable and did a great job, but he was only the rebuild guy. the reinstall and other maintenance just went through their service department not the tranny shop.

eric i have read your post on alignment which is awesome by the way. i did run the boat for about four hours with no overheat issues, and the tranny wasn't too hot to touch...i checked for play and there wasn't anything near the cutlass bearing.

the only thing i noticed was a little play where the (excuse my terminology) coupling bolts up to the shaft??? finally, how can you tell the difference between a bent shaft and misalignment? will it be obvious as soon as i unbolt the drive shaft?

i'll have the crowbar on standby to move the engine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 4:04pm
if you unbolt and check the gaps and the gap stays in the same place after rotating its alignment, if you check the gap and spin the shaft 180 degrees and the gap follows to that side its a bent shaft. but 9 times out of ten the shaft bends after the strut, so put on your fake a lake and run the boat in the drive and have someone kick it in gear (be frickin careful) that unbinds me from the liability......
watch the tip of the shaft, if its bent you will see it, if your wondering about the little wobble it may have, its bent.
no need to put an dial indicater on it if you see wobble
theumer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theumer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 4:14pm
thanks eric i'll be sure to keep my distance from that prop...so i guess i will hope for a slight misalignment which would be the economical fix out of the two.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 4:19pm
your going to need two water supplies as well if you kick it into gear otherwise you might destroy the bushings in the strut if you do not keep it wet.
theumer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theumer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 4:29pm
good point...don't want to diagnose one problem and cause another.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 9:24am
Eric!! You forgot to mention the water on the cutlass. In this thread it was a issue and I blamed someone on PN, Wake World or Tubing News for mentioning putting a boat in gear with the bearing dry!!
running boat on trailer
I'm going to have to send Chris over to your shop to make sure your posts are correct! Don't go and tell me it's ok for a second to run it dry ether. The shaft will probably vibrate in the cutlass to the point it will be a blur and you won't see any wobble.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 10:03am
i forgot to mention not to wear a scarf while watching the shaft turn too....
some common sense is requried and i have a tendency to forget that everyone doesnt have common sense
side note: I use wd 40 when doing this method and i dont leave the boat in gear for extended periods, i will have someone in the boat and will tell them to snap it in gear, look for a wobble and thats it. Pete this method hasnt failed me yet, if its bent you will see it, alot of times it will run true before the cutlass and wobble after the cutlass
liabilty clause: dont try this at home under no circumstance
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 10:23am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i forgot to mention not to wear a scarf while watching the shaft turn too....

Long hair, loose shirt-tails, shoe strings, baggy shorts...this isn't much different than working on a lathe or table saw, but I've seen some things!
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic