FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why was it called a 2001 hull?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why was it called a 2001 hull?
    Posted: August-05-2008 at 6:07pm
Yesterday I had the pleasure of speaking with Ralph Meloon Sr. This is the third time we have spoken and I continue to be impressed with all that he has accomplished with Correct Craft and in his personal life. Not only was he a great boat builder and business man, but he’s also a great giver and survivor. At the age of 90 he’s still very much aware of things. He's a pleasure to talk with and very appreciative of the site and what it does for Correct Craft.

During this most recent conversation, we happened get on the topic of the 2001 hull and he proceed to tell me the story behind the 2001 name ...

As all of you know, the 20th anniversary of the Ski Nautique was 1981. Well, in 1982 Correct Craft gave the Ski Nautique its first major hull redesign and they subsequently called it the 2001 hull, or 20 01, as in the first model after the 20th anniversary. The original idea was there would be a 2002 hull the next year, 2003 after that, 2004 and so on. Well, the response to the 2001 hull was so overwhelming that they decided to stick with it and continued to make the 2001 hull through 1989.

Some of you may have known that story but I did not. It's a great bit of Correct Craft trivia.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 7:43pm
I'm glad to finally know. On my 3rd post after joining CCF I asked the question on Why 2001 and the consences was the total running length with platform, (20'01"). It's great to hear it from the horse's mouth.
It must have been a moment you won't soon forget.
Kurt
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 8:23pm
That finally settles that. People who don't know about Correct Crafts instantly think my boat is a 2001 year model. This hull design was way ahead of its time in my opinion.

I had the pleasure to ski behind a 2008, 196 on Sunday and there's nothing but foam for a wake!!! What's next, a wakeless Nautique?

Ken
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 5:53am
Thanks Keith for this bit of history on my beloved boat... Now I know a bit more about her.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 11:12am
Yep, me too Keith. We finally have the answer to this age old question. I too have had people ask if it were a 2001 model boat and told em nope. Now I can tell them the real answer.

I boarded behind a 96 SNOB last Friday and could tell a BIG difference between the wakes. I did however like the fuel injection and the added room. My 4 girls want to upgrade to a open bow but they know what the respose is before they even ask........NO!

Long live the 2001!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 7:26pm
Ok. I get the 2001 thing. My question is why are there so few New England dealers? I only know of New England CC in NH and Candlewood in CT. Why no MA, RI dealers. The other brands seem to have more area support.
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 10:49am
Thanks very much Keith. It's nice to have "the rest of the story". I've had people tell me that it was something to do with the length, but that never made sense to me. Someone else told me it was futuristic sounding (2001 a Space Odyssey) for a new design. Now I can tell people the real version. We get asked all the time.

1989 SN 2001
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Yep, me too Keith. We finally have the answer to this age old question. I too have had people ask if it were a 2001 model boat and told em nope. Now I can tell them the real answer.

I boarded behind a 96 SNOB last Friday and could tell a BIG difference between the wakes. I did however like the fuel injection and the added room. My 4 girls want to upgrade to a open bow but they know what the respose is before they even ask........NO!

Long live the 2001!!

Do what I did....95SNOB and the 82SN! I love both boats for different reasons.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2008 at 3:29am
Cool i thought it might have had something to do with 2001 space oddessy, I wonder how they designed the hull back then anyhow...
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 8:40am
Keith,
cool. I get the Year 2001 statement all of the time. Now I just say.."yes it is". When I tell them the boat is actually an 86 they never believe me anyway.

It took a while for me to get used to the big 2001 on the back of the boat after growing up with our 83. I remember sitting on the bank of our lake and seeing the first ski nautique with the big 2001 on the back. I remember thinking I don't really like that. Now I own one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic