NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teak Platform

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
starbucksdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starbucksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teak Platform
    Posted: August-07-2008 at 4:33pm
I live in southeast Ohio right on the Ohio river. My wife and I own a really sweet 1986 2001. The plat form really needs to be completly refinished. I do not have the place,time,nor tools to tackle this task. Does anyone know of a service fairly close that performs this service. Thanks in advance...
starbucksdad
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 5:11pm
If it is just faded you can refinished it yourself. We priced a local wood shop to refurb ours. Man, it was super $$$.

I did a quick seach in the archieve and gave it a go a few weeks back. I did the swim deck & step pads on our 86. It turned out great.

Pick up some Waco Teak Oil from Home Depot (in the paint section). Give the deck a super good scrubbing to get all the crap off and apply the Waco oil. Ours was faded really bad and looked awful. It took a total of 3 appplications. Did it all in the driveway.

I think it took about 2 1/2 hours over a weekend to complete. The total cost was the price of the teak oil and beer.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 8:15pm
Like Chris said, this is a real easy job. Mine was really bad when I got it. I hit it lightly with 60 grit sand paper first to get the crap off, you don't need to sand it smooth, you want to leave the grain open so it will soak up a lot of oil. I used a combination of laundry detergent and TSP and mixed it into a paste and then scrubbed it in with a stiff brush then rinsed it completely and let it dry in the sun. I used the Starbrite teak oil and applied it until it wouldn't soak in anymore. Now I just keep applying oil when it is starting to look dry.
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 9:03pm
I just did mine on my new used 176 - it looked like it wasn't touched in 10 years, sitting in the sun the whole time. It came back beautifully, as did my pride.

Do not sand too much (or at all)! The screws from underneath are really no more than 3/16ths from the surface, so you can expose them easily. There's no redo button for that snafu - glad I read it here first.
'99 SN Air Tique
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 11:59pm
Mine was really bad too. Had moss and other crud on it.
I used a light nozzle on my pressure washer and it really cleaned up nicely.
I removed the platform and was able to do the top, bottom, and all sides.
Then as Randy stated.. oiled it until it would absorb no more. They really look nice when cleaned and oiled.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 2:58am
Go to any marine and you can pick up a teak restore kit (usually three steps) that are simple and literally in less than an hour (maybe minus drying time) you've got a beautiful looking platform. It's one of the easiest things you can do.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 9:23am
Carl, Refinishing the teak as mentioned isn't hard. You are not refinishing a grand piano or a 30's Garwood here! The term "refinishing" is misleading. You are cleaning and reoiling the wood! Go with the 3 step and follow the directions. Removing the teak from the boat/brackets does make it easier.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 10:11am
We clean ours up and reoil it every fall as part of winterizing the boat and again in the spring.

If yours has been neglected, the wood may drink up a ton of the teak oil and require several applications the first time around.

As the others have said, this isn't "refinishing" like restoring the finish of fine furniture or a musical instrument. It's more like feeding the wood and replenishing the oils in it.

On the other hand, if the wood had rotted, you may need a true restoration but you would probably be better off searching for a NOS platform.

1989 SN 2001
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starbucksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 12:54pm
Looks like I need to give it a try, thanks for the help. Great site,great people,as always....
starbucksdad
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 1:01pm
Yes, please don't sand it.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Carl, Refinishing the teak as mentioned isn't hard. You are not refinishing a grand piano or a 30's Garwood here! The term "refinishing" is misleading. You are cleaning and reoiling the wood! Go with the 3 step and follow the directions. Removing the teak from the boat/brackets does make it easier.

Pete, Question for you, I just "refinished" mine with the 3 step Starbrite products last week. Cleaned up nicely, then used the brightener, let it dri for a few days and oiled 3 times over 3 consecutive days. I actually did the clean and brighten steps twice. Looked awesome. Used the boat last saturday and sunday and every last drop of oil is gone from the teak. Looks like it did after the brightening. It had sat for about 3 days before putting it in the water. So I re-oiled it and it looks fine again but I bet it will leach off again this weekend.

This is not the first time I've done this and my oil never seems to last. I use Maguires Gold so it's not cheap oil. Have you ever heard of anyone cutting their oil to thin it so it soaks in better, I heard to do that on the first coat but what would you cut it with?
Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 1:42pm
I refinished mine when I purchased the boat last July. I used a pressure washer on very very light pressure to clean it. Let it dry and then put multiple coats of oil on it. If you use a pressure washer make sure you don't use to high of pressure.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 2:00pm
Alan, I know exactly what you are talking about! The old teak oils were pretty much nothing but Tung oil and they would last at least a summer. The big problem is they being a organic, they support the black mold growth and then required lots of aggresive cleaning. The newer teak oil products are oil blends and usually will state they don't support the mold growth but you're correct they seem to only last a couple weeks. Our swim platforms being in the water so much seem to wash it right off. It's a tough application! I haven't tried any of the "coatings" for teak yet because I'm leary of them sticking! (we've all seen the results of someone trying to varnish a platform) I'm for now sticking with the new oils and coating it on a more frequent basis. I feel it's the easier way than having to go through the PITA process of getting the black mold out of the teak pores.

A couple months ago, someone posted they were going to try Teak-Gaurd (a coating) but don't recall seeing a follow up on the results.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 3:13pm
Pete, we used Teak-Guard on another boat and it did not last a single season. I was very disappointing. Personally, I do not think it was as good as just using the Teak oils.
The Teak-Guard also gave a orange look to the teak.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,

Thanks Pete, I don't mind reaplying it, just thought I was doing something wrong. I did the platform just before GL and by the end of the week there it was trashed.

OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 4:34pm
It doesn't take but a few minutes to recoat it.

I tried Teak Guard on the coaming rails of a sailboat and it didn't last at all. I tried to go back to teak oil and it didn't want to soak in. I'm sticking with the oil on the swim platform.

1989 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by OM45GE OM45GE wrote:

It doesn't take but a few minutes to recoat it.

I understand that and recoat my platform everyweek, I was just asking if there was a better product to use or something to cut the oil with.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2008 at 12:50am
Mine gets oil pretty frequently. Ski fins scratch it up. When you take your kids' friends it's hard to avoid.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2008 at 2:14am
Alan,

I think you saw my platform. I use Amazon gold. Once I've cleaned it, I put on a coat every day for at least 4 days. Then, I'll touch up if someone scraps it. My cover also goes over the platform. I get about two seasons from a thorough clean and oil.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starbucksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2008 at 6:43pm
Alan, you mention a cover (for the platform?)or you talking about a regular boat cover? Boy a cover that slides over the platform for a boat that sits out all summer would be great....
starbucksdad
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 2:56am
my mooring cover covers the platform most likely just like BK's.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 3:25am
Yes, all of my boat covers have covered the platform. BKH
Livin' the Dream

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 12:11pm
I use boiled linseed oil cut about 50% with mineral spirits so it soaks in better. Really worked well on my steps. Im putting on a swim deck now and will coat it the same way. I read that most teak oils are linseed oils thinned down. Ive had really good luck with this over the years on wood truck bed floors, teak on different boats, etc.. I really like the dark color it brings up as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

I use boiled linseed oil cut about 50% with mineral spirits so it soaks in better. Really worked well on my steps. Im putting on a swim deck now and will coat it the same way. I read that most teak oils are linseed oils thinned down. Ive had really good luck with this over the years on wood truck bed floors, teak on different boats, etc.. I really like the dark color it brings up as well.

Mineral Spirits, thanks, thats what I was looking for. My deck is completely void of oil again after one day in the water and it was oiled once a day for 4 days prior so I'm going to try cutting the oil, it can't be soaking in very well if it's gone in such a short time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic