Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stretched timing chain?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stretched timing chain?
    Posted: August-11-2008 at 5:11pm
Over the weekend with Alan, I was telling him how I am still only getting 44-4500RPM's. My ProTec rev limiter is 4800 which I used to hit. For about the last 3 years I haven't been able to get there. Not a huge deal, but starting to make me wonder a bit. He said that it could be either my stupid ProTec or possibly a stretched timing chain. Are there any other ideas about not getting max RPM's?

The ol girl idles a bit rough. She is running rich (I thought I was going to make Alan nautious from the fumes). I don't think the ProTec is going out because it doesn't miss at high RPM's. Can it give a cold spark at idle or is there a way to check these systems out.

I have better ways to spend 500 bucks if the ignition functions properly. I want to convert it, but I'd rather fix the timing chain if that will help things out.

Long question, but wondering if you guys had any insight.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 5:20pm
I would be tuning it up. Cleaning the throtle plate, checking that it was all tight and not leaking air, cleaning the air passages (IAC, TPS and so forth) and checking for air leaks around the intake, checking the fuel pressure and cleaning/replacing the injectors before I start missing with the timing chain because if it needs replaced then there's a whole lot of other stuff that needs replaced too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 1:50am
Chris,

I am not injected. New carb last season and all is tight. Already checked all the easy stuff. Now I am wondering if there is some deeper demon I need to be chasing. What else would you do when you have the timing chain replaced? I know I need a new water pump, but what else??
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 9:21am
if it is stretched you can back off your rockers and try to turn the rotor in your distributor back and forth and look for side to side movement and watch your push rods for any up and down, a vacuum gauge will also tell you if you have a stretched chain if the readings are low and if you put a timing light and watch the timing marks and the mark doesnt hold steady and fluctuates that is also a sign of a stretched chain...im with 79 though, 1105 hours doesnt justify a stretched chain but you never know
"the things you own will start to own you"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

stretched timing chain?

Heared of them, but never seen one. Think its a urban myth.

Quite certain you have something else going on.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

stretched timing chain?

Heared of them, but never seen one. Think its a urban myth.

Guys, My comment to Todd this weekend was just in discussion, we did nothing to diagnose his problem but I will explain where that thinking comes from. I had a 1982 MC with the 351 PCM years ago, we used to pull 3 footers easily at 40+ mph. As the boat got more hours on it 700+ it was no longer able to hold that speed.    We did everything we knew how tune up wise and we rebuilt the carb with no change.

I called PCM asking for help, the tech there insisted without a doubt that the motor needed a timing chain. We installed a new chain and the boat ran like new.

If it was mine and I ruled everything else out I would drop a $100 into it for a chain and gaskets and give it a try. We also determined that Todd has a little noise at the water pump so if it comes apart for that I'd go one step deeper and do the chain at the same time. Keep in mind he still has the protec ignition and that to me is really suspect.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 10:30pm
Is it really the chain that stretches or the plastic gear that wears out?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 12:17am
Back in high school one of my buddy's rebuilt this wicked cool 67' Mustang, IIRC he used gears instead of a chain, it sounded like it had a Blower just nothing sticking out of the hood, man did that thing sound cool!

BTW Todd, good luck diagnosing your problem!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Is it really the chain that stretches or the plastic gear that wears out?

Either way the stock chain and gear set in these things is a piece of crap. Put in a nice double roller and steel gears and you're good to go. A new chain goes in with very little wiggle room and the old one comes out with enough slop to skip rope.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2008 at 2:02am
THanks for the update Alan. If I do yank that water pump, I will slap in a new chain. Simple stuff. I have a lot of wants, but not enough money to do it all. Electronic ignition first!!!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 11:51am
Timing chain slop can be observed at your dist. rotor when you rotate your crank forward and back by hand.
70 Mustang project
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic