Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 1.23 Transmission Rebuilds?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skier49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 1.23 Transmission Rebuilds?
    Posted: August-12-2008 at 1:06am
What is the average number of hours expected out of a PMC 1.23 transmission before rebuilding? The transmission has never slipped but it does have a front seal leaking and the dampener plate has less than 10 hours on it. What would be a reasonable price for having one of these transmission rebuilt? Transmission would be shipped to the shop.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 3:18am
Trannyboy Eric to the rescue!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 9:10am
heard of many with 1500 hours on the boat, contrary to what i say they are a pretty good trans, like a woman if you take care of her she will take care of you.
the problem with these tranny's are the parts are captive and you can only go to one place to get the parts, PCM
average normal rebuild is 750.00 to 850.00 with no hard parts. if you do need hard parts i normally dont charge for them because i have a ton of used cores from PCM that failed during testing the boats or cores that i accumulated over the years
"the things you own will start to own you"
xke1962 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xke1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 6:47pm
Eric,

I am considering purchasing a 83 SN and need the transmission rebuilt. How long is your turnaround and what is your shipping adress?

"Just do the next right thing"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 11:36pm
how do you know the trans is bad? there are times when the damper hub snaps and the owner thinks the trans is bad...any symptoms from the PO?
xke1962 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xke1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 11:50am
This is the 83 SN that freemanca bought in 2007 and had posted questions about a rebuild. He indicated that the prop wont stop spinning in neutral and that the unit is slipping?
You had posted that a new BW 1:1 can be purchased for $1250. Is that just for the unit or is that including removal and install? I would plan to pull the trans. myself and do the rebuilb myself or replace it with a new unit. How complex is a rebuilt job and what mistakes are common?
Thanks for the support. What is your phone number in OH? I would like to call you for insight.

Phil Dunkley
"Just do the next right thing"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 1:35pm
750.00 No more no less, it will be updated for ski boat use, 877-369-6693
well, on rebuilding yourself is up to you, my final count last summer for transmissions that went to the local auto rebuilder or in the garage was 16, and if I listed the problems i found it would be mostly things that got overlooked and left out such as snap rings or worn bushings.
for reference I charge 2hours out and 3 back in, as a guide for you, that is with alignment. another 1 hour labor for damper R and R which is a must replacemant part...the it looks good or the alignment was fine is a statement used often and translates too: the damper was junk so we will charge you again to R and R it but this time the labor charge will be for 4 hours, the alignment was fine means it wasnt checked and a true way to tell if it was is the mechanic will say i got it within .003.
I can walk you through the R and R with the help of these other guy's, it really isnt a bad job once you dive in
Eric
Naughty93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naughty93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 3:02am
Eric, you should be receiving a "patient" soon via UPS. Can't wait to get it back and get my boat back up. 1.23:1
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 11:31am
GD, i forgot to mention the California charge lol
Naughty93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naughty93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 4:29am
California charge? Whoaaaa, I sure hope it's the kind of "charge" that's sending our Prius Inbreeds into out of control oblivion ;)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 11:32am
its that hidden charge, for some reason you guy's pay 500k for a 2000 sq ft house, just trying to get in on some of that action...lol
Naughty93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naughty93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 7:15pm
Tell me about it, that's why I'm still a renter
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 10:05am
in the Humbolt county triangle? I hear rent is real high there
Naughty93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naughty93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 2:49am
That's Northern Ca., I'm about an hour West of the Sacramento Delta. As soon as I get that tranny back in that's where I'm headed. If you're ever out here, swing on by for a cold one UPS tracking says the patient is a couple days out from ya.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 10:13am
what would you be heading up there for? As Arnold would say, only in calyfornia.
Naughty93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naughty93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 2:45pm
That's the local boating spot for wakeboarding and overall boating activities. It's a canal system that channels out to the S.F. Bay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento_%E2%80%93_San_Joaquin_River_Delta
Naughty93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naughty93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 10:51pm
Any luck with the tranny?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 10:23am
yep, couple days, burnt pack, low on oil?
Naughty93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naughty93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 11:40pm
Yes Sir, was out in the middle of the lake with a full boat. After it blew out it's lifeblood I was only able to troll it in after a few slips.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 10:38am
good example of once you slip the clutches they glaze and lose co-efficiency of friction, in turn, they lose the ability to hold and will break free. at this point they cannot dis-appate heat quickly enough and will see instant face temperatures of up to 900 degrees and will warp the plates...then you will experience a dirty neutral because you lose the forward pack clearance..
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 1:48pm
Eric, yesterday I went to a friends's job who had a 351w on his workbench attached to a PCM 1.23:1, when I moved the coupling back and forth I could hear feel some clicking in the short range movement. Shaft play or else?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 4:21pm
normal gear lash
Naughty93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naughty93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 9:47pm
You know, after the first time I felt that initial slip I knew it was low on oil, I went to check it & already knew it the oil was either low or empty due to the pre-existing leak. I was negligent of checking before I went out, not knowing the leak had progressed as much as it did until that point. After refilling it to normal level, it was running smooth & to my disbelief even hauling a tuber okay. I changed the tranny cooler, re-sealed the rear, both the seal & new silicone just to see if I could patch it up. Started her up and still leaked, this time out of the front I think. Only 400 hours on it. So I guess everyone that chooses can use my experience as an f.y.i. Leaking? Little slip? Don't waste your time trying to put a band-aid on it as I did. Just send it on over to Mr. Lavine.

Nuff said...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 9:56pm
painted! and ready to roll
Naughty93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naughty93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2010 at 4:28am
Any way I could have a tracking number?

Thanks!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic