Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil level ?? - Damn Gremlins!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil level ?? - Damn Gremlins!!!!
    Posted: August-14-2008 at 2:06pm
This is a very elementary question, but I am having a very difficult time reading the dipstick when checking the oil on my boat (351w). Before changing the oil recently it was hard to read. I changed it last weekend with a new filter via a pump thru the dipstick tube and not very much oil came out. I made the assumption that is was low and added 4 quarts and started checking the level. I take the dipstick out, dry it off and then reinsert to check. When I pull it out, there is no definite line of oil. It sort of wets the whole stick up around and past the full mark. My experience with this and cars has always been very easy with a pretty clear mark where the oil was. I think it has too much because when I started it the day after changing it, it blew blue smoke right after ignition. I pulled the dipstick out last night, pumped some oil out and again tried to check the level and got frustrated again because it looked like a little gremlin was in the pan sloshing oil all over the stick to make me mad. So, I left the dipstick out and will go back this evening to check the level, hoping that all the excess oil has had time to run down off of the tube. Why is this so hard?
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 3:24pm
hmm....I have the 351PCM, and my dipstick gives me two reading. When full, the side with the markings says "Full" , when i flip it over it says "Add" Very strange. Id just say, put 5 qt. in a forget about it.
74SkiNautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

Id just say, put six qt. in a forget about it.

if you do that then it will be quart too much

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 3:38pm
oops.. yea 5 QT...I was thinking of my Yukon. that takes 6..sorry
74SkiNautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

Id just say, put six qt. in a forget about it.

Woah, I hope you havent been putting 6 qts into your engine- it only calls for 5 with the filter change.

Edit: Whoops, Chris beat me to it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 3:58pm
If there is oil all the way up the dipstick tube that probably means that's the oil level, WAY TOO HIGH. Took out a little and put in 4???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 4:13pm
no no no no...I have been using 5...hahaha not 6!
74SkiNautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 4:26pm
easiest way to check the oil is first think in the morning before it is turned over, just pull the stick and read.

Now you might have an issue with the dip stick being the wrong one for your marine engine as the automotive stuff isn't right.

Also it's going to be messy but you need to drain the block at the pan and get a drain kit, the hose and fittings you replace the drain plug with so it's not messy next time.

But since you have questions and you cannot tell how much is in there and whether or not the did stick is correct you have to start at square one, pull the drain plug on the oil pan let it completely drain, remove the oil filter and then install your new oil drain kit you got from SkiDim, don't forget to use the discount code, replace the filter, now add 5 qt's of oil, start it up look for leaks, then turn it off wait 5 minutes for the oil to drain back down then check if you now have a level in the stick, if you still don't see oil then start cuting the top of the tube down until you do a little at a time small tubing cutter works real well for this.
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

then install your new oil drain kit you got from SkiDim,

Are you talking about the hose that connects to the pan or the "Easy Drain" item
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 10:58pm
Kman - There's something incorrect about the dipsticks on some SNs. Mine reads way high & I know I got the right level (5 qts). I have seen numerous posts from others with the same observation. Once you are sure you have the right level, file in a full mark & there you will have it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 1:20am
Originally posted by kman kman wrote:

Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

then install your new oil drain kit you got from SkiDim,

Are you talking about the hose that connects to the pan or the "Easy Drain" item

This guy right here.
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 10:14am
The easy drain is one of the all time great add ons to these boats.

The other advice is spot on. Something is wrong - either way too much oil or the wrong dipstick. If you'vve got oil running out the dipstick I suspect there's too much oil and it will NEVER drain down to the correct level which is seveal inches below the bottom of the tube.

The only way to be sure is to do a complete oil dump and filter change, add the correct amount. Run the engine, let it sit overnight and check the level. If it still reads too high you need a new dipstick. Cutting the tube will make it worse as the stick will be even lower in the sump.

If you're running the recommended oil and the engine is cold it can take a long time for all the oil to drain out. Be patient.

1989 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 1:58pm
cutting the tube was only for if it read low after the proper amount of oil was added after draining it completely.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic