Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ditching ProTec

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ditching ProTec
    Posted: August-18-2008 at 1:11am
I will be ditching the ProTec probably this winter. It still functions, but I don't think very strong anyomre.

You can get the full conversion from SkiDim which is cool, but is there another route that I should consider? I do want to stay with a full marine system so that may rule out a few peoples advise. If I will get better performance by piecing a system together, I will possibly go that route. The kit is very convenient, but I don't know what components and brands they use.

I will be taking a lot of notes on this! Thanks in advance!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 9:20am
Call Vince at Discount Inboard Marine (the skidim you refer to) and ask him what components are in the kit, so you're informed. Vince will spend as much time with you as you need on the phone...he's a class act and never objects to answering all your questions.

Armed with that info, you can make an informed decision.

Good luck.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 12:58pm
I believe the kit includes a Mallory electronic (magnetic, not optical) distributor.

I dont think it would be very hard to install a DUI if you wanted to- I believe JR_VIC did the same thing when he replaced his Pro Tec.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 1:06pm
all you need to know is what to change on the wiring harness and what sensors are by-pass or removed. There are better places to get distributors at a better price than skidim, Also the DUI isn't the strongest of choices for a replacement distributor but then again if you are lazey and close enough is all right in your book more power too you It's not in my book, do it right or don't do it at all.
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2008 at 2:06am
I agree with you. I want to do it once and do it right. I haven't heard all that great of reviews on the DUI. I just want a little info on what is the best and most reliable distributor and complete system out there. I am willing to do more research because I won't do this until winter/spring.

Thanks again for the info guys. I will keep looking for suggestions.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

I haven't heard all that great of reviews on the DUI.

Todd, the only "negative" review Ive ever seen for the DUI is from Chris- and I think that is driven more by his love of being disagreeable rather than a genuine issue with the product. Those of us who have them love them- so I wouldnt rule it out. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Todd, the only "negative" review Ive ever seen for the DUI is from Chris- and I think that is driven more by his love of being disagreeable rather than a genuine issue with the product. Those of us who have them love them- so I wouldnt rule it out. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

This is an application where I think the DUI makes a lot of sense. It will out perform whats in the boat now and is fairly painless to install. Todds very conservative with the way he runs his boat and it's main purpose is skiing not hot rodding. Thats the direction I'd go with this one.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 1:12pm
True. Some of the most impressive work Todd does behind the boat is while the boat is going 16 mph! That man is mean on a trick ski.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 1:52pm

I will be ditching the ProTec probably this winter. It still functions, but I don't think very strong anyomre.

You can get the full conversion from SkiDim which is cool, but is there another route that I should consider? I do want to stay with a full marine system so that may rule out a few peoples advise. If I will get better performance by piecing a system together, I will possibly go that route. The kit is very convenient, but I don't know what components and brands they use.

I will be taking a lot of notes on this! Thanks in advance!

I also have the protec ignition. Mine is still working fine. Please keep us up to date on how you proceed with the conversion. I hate the way the Protec revs when you first start it, will the conversion eliinate this part of the ECU?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

I also have the protec ignition. Mine is still working fine. Please keep us up to date on how you proceed with the conversion. I hate the way the Protec revs when you first start it, will the conversion eliinate this part of the ECU?

Perhaps you have the TBI fuel-injected version of the motor. The carb versions with Pro-Tec have no control over the throttle or idle control that I know of- just timing.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

This is an application where I think the DUI makes a lot of sense. It will out perform whats in the boat now and is fairly painless to install. Todds very conservative with the way he runs his boat and it's main purpose is skiing not hot rodding. Thats the direction I'd go with this one.

if you feel having to track down a reverse rotation gear and then installing it on your new Distributor is a plus why don't you ask Joe about his 100 hrs with a bent shaft on his DUI unit. Again Small talk from people that do not have the experience that I have nor can they claim there ignition system has won INDY multiple times either but I can. So no I don't feel the DUI unit is the best option for a ford motor, might be fine for a GM as that is what they where designed for from the get go. Sometimes people can redesign things and they work fine others are not so lucky and I feel Davis Unified Ignition fall's into the latter catagory with many examples here why not to, failed modules after two summers of use, bent shaft after replacing gears, got to grind a little on the t-stat housing for clearance, It's really hard to have enought dielectric strength to prevent arcing when you mount a steel plate right next to the cap so all great reasons to shove that distributor down everyone throat, sure Got the BOAT DOC convinced to use one then again I bet HE doesn't now does HE?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 2:38pm

Know I would say he's got that impression from all of the posts owners of them have been posting and the problems they have been having with them, not because I think there a POS cheap COPY of the orginal design that are all curved for 24 degress of advance at 3k rpm which way too late to come on even in a stock motor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

if you feel having to track down a reverse rotation gear and then installing it on your new Distributor is a plus why don't you ask Joe about his 100 hrs with a bent shaft on his DUI unit. Again Small talk from people that do not have the experience that I have nor can they claim there ignition system has won INDY multiple times either but I can. So no I don't feel the DUI unit is the best option for a ford motor, might be fine for a GM as that is what they where designed for from the get go. Sometimes people can redesign things and they work fine others are not so lucky and I feel Davis Unified Ignition fall's into the latter catagory with many examples here why not to, failed modules after two summers of use, bent shaft after replacing gears, got to grind a little on the t-stat housing for clearance, It's really hard to have enought dielectric strength to prevent arcing when you mount a steel plate right next to the cap so all great reasons to shove that distributor down everyone throat, sure Got the BOAT DOC convinced to use one then again I bet HE doesn't now does HE?

We're gonna slow down a bit and let you figure out whats wrong with your last post before someone makes a fool of you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 12:08am
Not small talk, I actually thought about my recommendation,Put your bias aside and try to determine the best choice for this boat.

You missed the fact that He won't have to chase his tail for a distributor gear because he has a 1.23:1 trans and his motor turns the correct way. No mods needed, it's escentially a drop in.

If he goes with a Mallory or other conventional dist the next question will be which coil do I need. After that it will be do I need a resistor and that will start another 3 pages of nonsense like we've been reading for the last week.

If you look closely at the application, the boats uses and the guy doing the install then I still think the DUI is a simpler, cleaner choice. There are plenty of DUIs on these boats and we hear of very few issues.
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 12:43am
Chris B,

What ignition system did you design for indy that won multiple times?
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic