NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how long can I put off winterizing?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bilau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how long can I put off winterizing?
    Posted: August-26-2008 at 12:56pm
Hey all-

I live in Madison, WI and have a question about when to winterize. I'd like to keep my 88 SN 2001 on the water until almost the end of september if possible. The potential problem is that, although the average low temps in late september stay about 12 degrees above freezing, there's a definite possibiltiy of getting a cold front in, and it dipping below (record lows are in the low 20's -- and we've been setting weather records like it's going out of style lately). How much of a problem is it if the boat is subjected to sub freezing temps? Is there anything I can do to keep it safe but still leave it on the water?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 1:01pm
I don't worry about draining for overnight lows until November! If it goes under 25 and doesn't come back above freezing during the day I'd drain.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 1:04pm
Paul, It all depends on how long the boat is going to be subjected to the below freezing temps. If the daytime temps are going to be in the high 40's and over night it's dropping into the high 20's then most likety you'll be fine but there isn't any set "rule of thumb". People do use a 60 or 75 watt light bulb going under the dog house or even the heaters designed to keep the engine warm. I do know this does work even when the ice is forming around the edges of the lake.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 1:44pm
Eric's 'common sense required' statement comes to mind.

-the bulb can be a fire hazard
-it doesn't take much time to do a 'short' drain
-and the costs of not putting a note on the fridge are huge

I'm in georgia and on my second cracked block...though not of my making.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 2:01pm
Paul, Greg reminded me and I did want to mention that although common, the light bulb isn't the safest.

Here's the best way but costs more!!
engine compartment heater

With one of these, you can turn the boat into a ice breaker!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bilau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 2:07pm
What about if I leave it as is as long as the low temps at night look like they'll stay above freezing, then do a "short drain" if it looks like we're going to get a serious cold snap? Sound reasonable?

If so, then I have a follow-up question. What the hell is a "short drain". I'm an absolute newbie to this stuff, so I'm learning all of this for the first time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 2:18pm
Paul, If the temp doesn't drop below freezing then you have nothing to worry about.
A short drain is just opening up all the drain plugs (typically 5) and pulling the hose off the bottom of the oil cooler. No antifreez.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 2:23pm
depends - If the boat is in the water, then it has a heat source - the water.

If its on a trailer or lift then I concur -drain it.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 3:02pm
my short drain consists of removing one, yes 1, 9/16 headed plug from the side of the block and letting out about a gallon of h2o. as a matter of fact, that's all i drain during the winter. although, i do crank up on pretty days and run awhile and short drain again until the next month. doesn't water expand when it freezes? so therefore, as long as the block and hoses are not completely full of water so there is nowhere for the water (ice) to expand to, isn't it safe to just short drain?
bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 3:35pm
Paul, Here's a older thread on the same subject. I did post in it a alternate to the high priced compartment heater.
unwinterized

Bill, Remind me of what engine you have. A 4 cylinder? The manifold(s) will cool down before the block. I do see in the previous thread that you are one of the light bulb guys.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 3:36pm
If its going to get to 20 at night just drop the boat down into the water while it is still sitting on the lift. All you need is about 1/2 of the bottom of the boat sitting in the water.

Typically the water needs to stay frozen through the day before you will have problems.

Tim

bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 5:04pm
come on pete, you know i don't have a 4 cyl. yep, i am a light bulb guy during the nights it does freeze here.
bill
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 5:23pm
Where's jbear on this thread? He's all about winterizing.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 5:25pm
He's probably busy winterizing, duh.
Tellarico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tellarico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 6:38pm
Sorry to hear about winterizing. Down here in Louisiana we just miss a couple of cold rainy days, otherwise it is all year round.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 2:01am
I am not sure about this "winterizing" thing. Seems that I remember a sad messy affair every fall that included anti-freeze and fogging spray that went on in my driveway usually on a cold wet saturday. But my brain has pushed out those unpleasant memories. Now winterizing means taking my heater shirt along when me and Eddie foot during December and January.

After all them boats are "winterized" we will still have ours avaible if any of you guys need to ski.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 7:23am
Originally posted by bill1 bill1 wrote:

come on pete, you know i don't have a 4 cyl. yep, i am a light bulb guy during the nights it does freeze here.

Bill, Well now I'm really confused! Why are you draining only one side of the block? You are talking about your 81 correct and not another boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Thephantomkaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thephantomkaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 8:45am
My vote is Short Drain... I wouldnt want the water sitting in my engine all winter...
~Michael~
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Thephantomkaw Thephantomkaw wrote:

My vote is Short Drain... I wouldnt want the water sitting in my engine all winter...

Michael, We aren't talking about all winter - just extending the season into the fall (in cold climates of coarse!!!) A "short drain" isn't recommended for full winterizing ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thephantomkaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 9:15am
Oops, all I read was Winterizing, thinking all winter... Guess I need to take my Adderall early this morning so i can pay attention!

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

A "short drain" isn't recommended for full winterizing ether.

Is this because of internal rust?
~Michael~
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 9:20am
bilau'
My barracuda is never put away until the second week of October, at the earliest, and for the last several years it's been the 3erd week. It hangs on chain falls above the water in a boathouse in northern Wisconsin. I don't think you will have any problems keeping it in through September.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 9:47am

Oops, all I read was Winterizing, thinking all winter... Guess I need to take my Adderall early this morning so i can pay attention!

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

A "short drain" isn't recommended for full winterizing ether.

Is this because of internal rust?

I really don't feel that the practice of adding antifreeze was for internal rust but rather a safety factor for freeze protection. For years, engines were simply drained and some people still do it. It wasn't untill the late 70's that I even heard of the practice. The marinas started doing it when systems got a little more complicated and their mechanics forgot something ending up with something busted open in the spring. Cast iron is really pretty stable as far as rusting. It takes lots of years to rust it through. Plus, now the marinas can now charge you 20 bucks a gal. for the antifreeze and a extra couple hours of shop time!!!!

I've heard some will get $280.00 for a winterizing. Then another $100.00 for "summerizing" What the H*** is summerizing??? Connect the battery and turn the key???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thephantomkaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 10:03am
I think summerizing is when they drain out the antifreeze, instead of just cranking the motor and flushing it out in the lake/river.
~Michael~
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 10:11am
Pete, sometimes I'll do 10 in a day, and feel guilty the next day.....for a minute
the good ones are the outboards, 90 bucks to winterize, touch the cover, bless it and collect the 90 lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 10:22am

I think summerizing is when they drain out the antifreeze, instead of just cranking the motor and flushing it out in the lake/river.

The only marinas that do this are the ones who want to save it for the next season and then sell it again (at the inflated price). It's common practice to use the non-toxic RV antifreeze.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 12:12am
eric I do like your style.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic