Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bad alternator?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bad alternator?
    Posted: August-30-2008 at 3:22pm
Need a little advice...boat died with no warning last time it was used. The battery was 2 1/2 years old so we went ahead and replaced it - were back in business. However the voltage warning light always stayed on, the gage read 11v running, and 10 with the blower on. I picked up a meter this weekend - I read 12.39v from the battery when off, 12.15v from the battery when on/idle and 1.2v from the back of the alternator (assuming this should be around 13?). Not really sure what I'm doing here or even if I'm taking the correct raedings...but this doesn't seem right. Thanks in advance for the help.
PaCemkr86 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaCemkr86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 3:26pm
If your wiring to your battery and alternator is good, it looks like the alternator isn't charging.
Id remove the alternator and run into auto zone or something and have them bench test it for you.
Phil Underwood

1976 Ski Tique

bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 5:16pm
Thanks - I'll plan on doing that. Can I expect to get through the weekend or am I asking for trouble?
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 9:45pm
If the altinator isn't charging, the engine will only run for so long b4 the battery goes dead.
74SkiNautique
PaCemkr86 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaCemkr86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 11:42pm
take a spare battery with you.. Or
it shouldn't be that much trouble to pull the alternator off in the auto zone parking lot, have them check it, and install the new one before you head out.
Phil Underwood

1976 Ski Tique

kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 12:12am
I am not sure if auto zone has them but napa does.It is a full system tester from midtronics.All you need to do is hook to the battery and start. What about your volt. reg.??
kevinindy
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 5:44am
Originally posted by bsucics bsucics wrote:

Need a little advice...boat died with no warning last time it was used. The battery was 2 1/2 years old so we went ahead and replaced it - were back in business. However the voltage warning light always stayed on, the gage read 11v running, and 10 with the blower on. I picked up a meter this weekend - I read 12.39v from the battery when off, 12.15v from the battery when on/idle and 1.2v from the back of the alternator (assuming this should be around 13?). Not really sure what I'm doing here or even if I'm taking the correct raedings...but this doesn't seem right. Thanks in advance for the help.

Something's not right with your readings. Regardless of what your alternator puts out, you should read the same voltage at the alt. B+ terminal as you read across the battery (unless you have a wiring issue). What's in the circuit between the Batt and Alt. B+? Circuit breaker? Is it tripped? Do you have a burnt wire?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 4:53pm
Unfortunately - this is close to where I reach the limits of my expetise (or lack thereof) - I'll trace the wiring and do a better visual inspection and check the reading again. I'll pull the alt. out tomorrow to get it checked.
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 5:33pm
Sorry - stand corrected. I got a better look at what I was doing... Not surprisingly, reading off of the 'correct' positive term with the other lead grounded gave me 12v. Does that mean my alt. is ok and I have a different issue that is giving me the low voltage on the gage w/warning light? Thanks!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 6:41pm
Okay, that sounds better. Not saying your alternator is good,..... you need to get that checked as it is suspect. But it is good that you are reading the same voltage on the alt and batt. Now here's a question for you. What year is your boat? Exteranl regulator or no?. If the regulator is internal, I'd say the alternator is bad. But pull it and get it checked anyway. Replace only with marine unit. Hope this helps. Brian

Former boats:
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 7:05pm
Thanks. It's an 89, so I'm pretty sure regulator is internal - correct?
PaCemkr86 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaCemkr86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 9:55pm
internal
Phil Underwood

1976 Ski Tique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 11:09pm
Yep, 89 would be internal, so its more than likely the alternator.

Former boats:
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2008 at 5:20am
You can test your alternator in the boat by doing the following procedure.

Measure the battery voltage without engine running should be around 12.5 V if battery is in good condition and charged.

Now star the engine & measure voltage again it should be higher i.e 12.75-13.75 if it is charging from alternator. If it does not go higher with engine running at idle increase revs to around 2500rpm and see if the voltage increases now.

If the voltage increases with engine running to approx the stated values the alternator is good.

If the battery is low to start with less than 12V the charging voltage may even go higher than 13.75 so it is more obvious the alternator is working.

If there is no increase in voltage the alternator is not charging.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic