Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

finally some pics

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: finally some pics
    Posted: August-31-2008 at 12:34am
here is my 1966 barracuda ss on Lake Tillery, near Norwood, NC. This boat has spent its entire life on this lake, and I am the second owner. This boat has a very interesting story behind it. My dad skied behind this boat when it was new in 1967 while he was a senior at south stanly high. Three years ago he went to that same place on Lake Tillery to look at a Corvette. The owner told him he could have the corvette unless he bought the boat too...lol. To his surprise, when he stepped into the boathouse that same old correct craft was still in the boathouse. I don't think it had ever left the water. The trailer had been turned into a hay trailer and was decked with wooden planks. We towed the boat home and spent two years going through it. Its a great boat and gets lots of attention on the water.

Let me know what you think....
'cuda
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 12:40am
I think she looks great. The boat too!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 1:07am
Wow... heath.. that is a beauty.
We need to talk and maybe get together for some sharing of information.
I have a 66 cuda SS under my carport that I am currently getting ready to replace the stringers. I would like to get together with you to get some info about :
1. where did you get the pylon made
2. where did you have the interior done
3. I would like to come by sometime and have a look at your boat to make sure that I put it together correctly.

I live in New Hill, NC. Just west of Apex, NC. I go by Lake Tillery each time I go to Charlotte. Step son and family live in southeast Charlotte.
Call or send me an email if you would.
919-362-1693 or rreavis@cisco.com

Thank, Roger
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 2:04am
Great looking boat Heath. I always thought the SS's had just that little something extra special.
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 2:30am
Nice, well kept ride!!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 2:36am
Heath,
The word awesome... doesnt do it justice! Ive got a 65 cuda SS project....hope it turns out close to that nice someday!

I see you've got the 318 Poly engine... did you have to do anything to it?   Also,do you have the glass for the windwings?

VERY NICE!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
PaCemkr86 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaCemkr86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 2:40am
excellent work.. thanks for sharing
Phil Underwood

1976 Ski Tique

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 2:46am
Nice boat, a friend of mine just a couple of miles from me has a '69 SS, Carolina blue.
Tim D
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 5:22am
Took me a while to realize that there was a boat in the picture.

Very nice. As always ...a great story with these old boats.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 9:13am
I say it's almost too pretty to use...A+ on detail!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 10:57am
A plus
"the things you own will start to own you"
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 11:31am
Verry cool!!

I love to see your level of detail. Awsome!
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 12:58pm
I want my boat on your lake. And is there a slip open at your dock. Please
lonestar
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 1:13pm
Thanks for the input guys. I find myself lurking on this website all the time..glad I could finally share some pictures of my boat.

I did do a lot of work to the engine. The original block had frozen and was cracked. I purchased a reman. long block and replaced everything else on it including the carb. I have not however, done anything to the trans...just cleaned it and painted it and change the fluid. It runs great other than leaking some oil. We could not locate the original pylon in the boathouse or anywhere on the property, so I drew one up and had someone machine it out of a solid piece of stainless. The interior is original...just took a lot of elbow grease to get it looking like that. However, I will be rebuilding the seat frames and having the upholstery redone this winter. The boat has new stringers and a new floor along with a lot of gellcoat work. I think the pictures definately do it justice as I am a perfectionist when it comes to anything of my own. Thanks again.. I really enjoy this website and the help I've gotten from you guys.
'cuda
JCole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 4:01pm
Hi Heath,

We also have an old CC Mustang on Lake Tillery. We are at Holiday Shores (between Woodrun and Carolina Forest). We are near the Badin Dam. Ours is green with Mustang painted on the sides. If you are down that way, holler at us, we would love to see the boat. Love the story also.
Jane
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2008 at 5:24am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I think she looks great. The boat too!

Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Took me a while to realize that there was a boat in the picture.

At least two guys noticed there were TWO beauties at that dock!

Heath,
Marvelous job! The boat looks ab-so-lu-te-ly great.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2008 at 10:13am
you better filp her, she'll burn
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2008 at 7:19pm
Heath: Could you tell me what you used on the seats (besides elbow grease) to make them look that nice?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 1:19am
John I would guess suntan oil, liberally applied So get your speedo on and get to work
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 2:09am
I would be more than willing to apply suntan oil all over that.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 10:44am
That's got to be the nicest Barracuda in existance! Beautiful boat.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 11:26am
Heath, Great job is all I can say!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 1:55pm
That boat is one of my favorites - all red Barracuda SS. Very impressive.

Do I understand correctly that the gel is original and not painted?
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 3:57pm
That is a beauty Heath!
Well done and thank you for sharing your story/ photos with us.
-Brad
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 12:48am
That is a killer boat! You all did a fine job restoring her!
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 1:45am
More pictures of the.... boat, i guess.

Very nice!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 3:35am
Thanks for all the compliments guys!..guess I should have told my sister to get off the dock before I took those pictures...lol.

The gel is original and looks great except below the waterline. I had to paint the bottom with anitfoulant because after forty years of sitting in the water the gel was cracked very badly on the bottom. We ground out the cracks and filled them with gel and then painted the bottom. The bottom matches really well with the gel...it took some experimenting to get it close. The bottom paint really bothers me though...perhaps one day I'll have the gel redone. I really like the red deck and hull and plan on keeping this boat forever...although I will be in the market for a newer ski nautique in the spring of next year.
'cuda
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 1:09am
Originally posted by heath heath wrote:

Thanks for all the compliments guys!..guess I should have told my sister to get off the dock before I took those pictures...lol.

Now be serious...we like to look at boats but like to look at pretty girls even more!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 4:49am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Now be serious...we like to look at boats but like to look at pretty girls even more!

I concur!!

John, now that sounds like the signature line that has your name written all over it!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 11:56am

guess I should have told my sister to get off the dock before I took those pictures...lol.

Never second guess yourself.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic