Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1983 351 fuel filter canister

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
83Southwind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83Southwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 351 fuel filter canister
    Posted: August-31-2008 at 11:08am
I want to change the filter in my Southwind. Does the filter canister just twist off or is there a set screw that must be loosened first?

Thanks, Wick
Wick
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 6:24pm
Well if it's like mine. I had to disconnect the fuel lines, remove it from the mount.
Then put the hex shaped part at the bottom of the canister in my vice(just snug enough to hold it upright) I then put in two bolts that would thread into the top mount holes diagonal from each other and were about 2" long.
Put a bar between the two and gave it a turn.
Cleaned it all up put a new petcoc in the bottom new gasket (with lube) in the top and reassembled with new filter.
Now she spins off nicely when needed.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 1:29am
It should just spin right off.

But, so should many oil filters on cars. We all know how that goes from time to time.

fwiw, the spin on fuel filter on my 78 came right off, with only a minor amount of force.

It looked to be on there for quite a few years, esp since my boat only had like 200 hours on it when I got it when it was like 22 yrs old.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 1:40am
You can usually get a small oil filter wrench on the canister to loosen. You can get the filter at napa it is very common!It comes with new gasket.A strap wrench will work too.
kevinindy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic