NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

identifying chrysler lm318

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: identifying chrysler lm318
    Posted: September-03-2008 at 5:36am
Gentlemen, Now that I know what to do with the stringers in my 67 Ski Nautique I am attempting to assess the engine.I will have it out for the stringers but while I have a nice place to run it I plan to check compression, the valve adjustment get it running and check oil pressure and any thing I may need to know before a tear down if neccesary. My serial number plate says that it is an LM318bwr10type 173/part number 1-13 serial#105352. I just can't find much info on this engine. The carb is a carter afb #3980s. I bought a kit to put in the carb and also want to verify before I open it that it has all the right stuff(it should) from what I have found out the differences on the marine carb are bowl vents vent into carb, throttle shafts are made different, and gasket that won't wick gasoline to outside. My throttle shafts seem a little loose, but I don't have it torn down enough to tell if I need to bush them.Can anyone fill me in on H.P. for this engine?I am assuming 210, what is type 173? and is the carter carb the correct carb,if original I will bush the throttle shafts if not I will replace the carb.I haven't pulle a valve cover but my assumption is solid lifters, I am wondering what the cam lift/duration may be.The engine looks unscathed but it has sat up for 21 years.The marvel mystery oil is sitting in the cylinders,plugs are out, and the engine turns over easily with my snap on 1/2 drive pull handle(it turned over well with the plugs in also). Does anyone have the ability to decipher what I have?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 8:05am
Bob, There is a Chrysler manual in or ref. section. You can also go to marineengin.com and purchase the specific manual once you determine which engine you have. Considering that you have the exhaust manifolds that are higher that the block ports, I'd say it's the second generation block. The first 318 block had low manifolds. You can look through the diaries and see the difference.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 12:28am
Thanks Pete, you are very knowledgable on these Boats. I did look at the reference section and still was a little confused on excactly what I had, but judging from the stickers on the manifolds I would say 210 H.P.
I believe the carb is the original from everything I can find, I figured I would find more info on small block Mopars, I have seen the Marine engine.com site and it is really good. Do you know if any of the chrysler engines were designated at PCM or is Chrysler desinated only as chrysler? I can't wait to have my old girl on the water but I am soaking up as much info as my old stringers wer full of water. I have found several sources in Atlanta on Douglas Fir. I met a lumber salesman from Pro-Build on one of my jobsites today and asked him if they stocked Douglas fir(not to high jack my own thread but) Is it better to use rough cut fir for the epoxy adhesion or should I look for the planed finished fir? Sweetwater told me that they are the same price he quoted me $3.90 per linear foot for both and told me to come by and he would fix me up.I'm Striving to keep it original.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 10:00am
Bob, Any I.D. plate or numbers on the engine. It should tell all. I think there's aexplaination of the code break down someplace in the manual.

PCM is a relative newcomer to the marine engine. They had alsolutely nothing to do with the Chrysler. In fact, in many ways Chrysler really did a marinization their own way. Their cooling system is a good example. Complicated!!

Go with dressed lumber. It will be easier to work with and fit. Rough sawn isn't going to give you anymore bonding. The CPES will do all the priming - soaking in for the epoxy resin bond that will not fail!! When Greg was getting close to finishing up his re stringer, we were joking around that he could drop it from a 100' crane and the hull would break leaving only his epoxied stringers!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 10:07am
I bought rough cut and planed to the thickness I needed. While it seems like rough cut would get better adhesion, I think it would be hard to keep air bubbles out. The glass like to be rolled out smooth! You'll also want to round over corners that are to be wrapped.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 10:51am
Thanks Greg, I think I will go with the finished boards .The existing stringers appear to be about an inch and a half (like a finished 2x10).
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 10:58am
I didn't ask sweetwater if they did millwork, but these need to be rail straight. Stacked lumber often is not. Maybe you have a bud with a jointer and planer?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 11:15pm
Greg, they told me that they had both types.I haven't had a chance to get through Austell yet.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 11:24pm
Bob,
I believe that Carter is the original carb for the Chrysler. The "r" in your serial number refers to right hand rotation, the "10" means you have a 1:1 or straight drive. I believe the "bw" is for borg warner. (I'm looking at my original manuel. My engine is dated 3-21-68.)

Of course Pete knows far more about my engine than I do

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 12:43pm
Bob,
My 69 Barracuda with LM 318 and AFB 4 barrel is rated at 225 HP. I bought a manual from marineengine.com, very useful.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2008 at 10:01pm
Thanks Gentlemen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic