Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fogging

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
minasianj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minasianj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fogging
    Posted: September-03-2008 at 10:53pm
I am trying to winterize a 1993 ski nautique with a GT-40 motor in it. I have never fogged a motor with fuel injection before. what is the best way to do it?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 1:28am
Remove spark plug, spray for 3 seconds, replace spark plug. After all 8 rotate the motor by hand, spreads everything out real nice.

September Winterizing in Cali??
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 1:38am
I believe your engine will run with the mass air sensor disconnected right? If it will, unplug it and remove it from the intake. Then start the engine (pre-warmed) and spray the fogger contents directly in the throttle body. Give the engine just enough throttle to keep it from dieing. When you've used up about 85% of the contents let the engine idle and spray the last little bit into the throttle body letting the engine die.

If the engine doesn't run well enough without the air sensor, find a vacuum port (manifold vacuum) near the throttle body and spray your fogger directly into it (following the same procedure).

Another option is to just skip the fogger, remove the spark plugs and squirt 4 to 5 shots of oil from a squirt can into each cylinder. Then drape some large rags over you valve covers so that they hang over the spark plug holes. Might want to cover your carpet on either side of the engine too. Leave the plugs out and slowing bump the engine over several times. Install plugs finger tight. If you use this method you MUST remember to remove the plugs and spin the engine over (fast this time) to get the oil out (rags again of course). Else you will hydro-lock your engine (possibly bending rods). As a reminder I always leave my spark plug wires disconnected.

95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 1:40am
Quinner, I was in the middle to writing when you posted. Didn't mean to step on your toes. Your method is good as well!

Brian

Former boats:
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 1:52am
Brian,

LOL, are you kidding, you can't even call mine the condensed version, just the easy way out. BTW, I use fogging spray, should I be concerned about hydro lock at the spring start-up?

Thread Jack, noticed your profile, did some design/build work on the Clean Room @ the D-2 Technical Center in Santa Clara many moons ago, IIRC facility was for research/production of a fancy new chip, called it the Pentium or something like that.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 2:07am
I don't fog, I take the belt off the RWP after winterizing and crank the engine and let it run about 5 seconds or so once a month.
Tim D
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 3:53am
Quinner, I was going to say no you don't need to worry about hydrolock at startup, except you are not using it with the engine running. You may want to conduct a little test and see how much liquid you get with a 3 second shot. Just spray it in a cup and let it sit for a little while until it's all liquid. I think it's pretty aerated when it comes out of the can but I'm not sure. To be on the safe side you probably should give it a spin before installing plugs and starting her up.

Former boats:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 4:05am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Brian,
Thread Jack, noticed your profile, did some design/build work on the Clean Room @ the D-2 Technical Center in Santa Clara many moons ago, IIRC facility was for research/production of a fancy new chip, called it the Pentium or something like that.

Yeah, D2 is one of the 4 fabs that runs the same process as we do here at F22 in Chandler, AZ. Next door to us is where the quad core chips are built. It's pretty fun stuff!

Former boats:
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

I believe your engine will run with the mass air sensor disconnected right? If it will, unplug it and remove it from the intake. Then start the engine (pre-warmed) and spray the fogger contents directly in the throttle body. Give the engine just enough throttle to keep it from dieing. When you've used up about 85% of the contents let the engine idle and spray the last little bit into the throttle body letting the engine die.

If the engine doesn't run well enough without the air sensor, find a vacuum port (manifold vacuum) near the throttle body and spray your fogger directly into it (following the same procedure).

Another option is to just skip the fogger, remove the spark plugs and squirt 4 to 5 shots of oil from a squirt can into each cylinder. Then drape some large rags over you valve covers so that they hang over the spark plug holes. Might want to cover your carpet on either side of the engine too. Leave the plugs out and slowing bump the engine over several times. Install plugs finger tight. If you use this method you MUST remember to remove the plugs and spin the engine over (fast this time) to get the oil out (rags again of course). Else you will hydro-lock your engine (possibly bending rods). As a reminder I always leave my spark plug wires disconnected.

I wouldnt recommend fogging the GT40 through the intake manifold- MPEFI is a dry intake set up. Just get some fogging oil or equivalent into each cylinder through the spark plug holes. Just bump it over a few times after doing so to make sure its distributed on the cylinder walls- turning it over by hand with a breaker bar would probably be the easiest. You can do this with the spark plugs in or out.

No need to worry about worry about hydrolocking when you go to start it in the spring- I always just crank it over. Lots of blue smoke, but never any other problems. You'll probably want to replace your plugs after all the oil is burned off, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic