Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

`96 Ford PCM GT-40 with high idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
larrissimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrissimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: `96 Ford PCM GT-40 with high idle
    Posted: September-04-2008 at 7:42pm
96 PCM 351 Ford GT-40 with high idle, need help finding problem

I have a problem with the idle in my 96 Sport Nautique. Here's what the problem is and what I have tried so far:

The problem started after the boat/motor being damp after some bad weather.(Don't know if this has anything to do with the problem or not, just thought I should mention it) Took the boat out, and after the engine had been running for a while, the RPMs went up to approx. 1800 when at idle. The condition got worse over a period of several months so that the engine would run at high RPM's right after starting when the engine was cold. I have had the boat at 2 different mechanics that havenŽt been able to find the problem. First they told me to replace the control unit, which didn't help, and and we have also replaced the water temp switch and the water temp sender. Nothing has helped yet. Also, when the engine is running, if the water temp switch is removed or disconnected, the RPM's will drop down to about 800, but not at a steady idle. (RPM's rock back and forth slowly between 800 and 900)

Anyone ever have a similar problem or know where I should look next?

Thanks,

Lars
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 8:02pm
Lars, you from Germany? I'm 88 on that other site. Welcome to the site. I don't know about your problem, but I'm sure some people here do and will chime in in time.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 12:02am
Originally posted by larrissimo larrissimo wrote:

First they told me to replace the control unit, which didn't help

How about going back to that mechanic and having them put your old "control unit" back in for free? Then refund your money.

It's electrical. There are a couple guys here that are good at this, but I'm not one of them.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
larrissimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrissimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2008 at 12:34pm
It works again!!!It was a bad TPS ( Throttle Position Sender) Have fixed it, and after a few seconds , the engine runs with 650 rpm. The Tip was from a guy on wakeworld......
All correct craft fans... thanks for help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic