Topic ClosedReplacing Impeller

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing Impeller
    Posted: February-09-2005 at 12:45pm
Here is a rookie question if there ever was one. I want to check and probably replace the impeller on my 1997 Ski Nautique (GT-40 engine). I bought the boat this past August and I've never done this before and the articles I've read suggest that nearly all boats have the impeller directly behind the ski pylon. Looking at mine, it is not obvious, at least to me, where the impeller is. I think it's located behind the driver's seat rather than the pylon, but it looks like it will take a little work to get to it, assuming I've identified it's location correctly. Also, I've heard mixed opinions about using a lubricant to install the new impeller. Any suggestions on how to get this thing out and the greese would be appreciated. Thanks
Ryan
Jason View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2005 at 4:44pm
It is inside the raw water pump. On my 82 ski nautique, if you are looking from the front of the engine to the back, it is on the bottom left side of the engine.

The raw water pump will have a pulley on it that you will have to remove. You should also see two large hoses going to the pump.

Once you have the raw water pump off, there is a cover that you remove to get out the impeller. Be sure to look how your impeller is situated before taking it out. Remove it, and lube it up with some soap or armor all and slide it back in so the veins point the same direction as the one you took out.

Jason
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2005 at 5:32pm
Silicon grease can be used during reassembly. Avoid using petroleum based grease other than Vasoline.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2005 at 6:46am
Are you sure the pulley has to be removed on a '97 model?

My old 60 - 70's are like that, but the newer models just have 3 bolts on the front cover to remove???
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
97 sport View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2005 at 9:46pm
No need to remove the pulley. Just remove the 2 bolts and 2 hose's, then take the 4 bolts off the plate on the back to expose the impeller. Install the new one with the vanes going in the same direction as the old one was. I used anti-freeze to lube the new impeller. Very simple repair.
Jacob View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2005 at 5:31pm
I had to remove the pulley on my 96 SN. I did not use soap though. Is that just to make it easy to slide in? Mine went in with no problem without soap.
woodyelc View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2005 at 9:46pm
FYI   on all correct craft with pcm ford motor you can not remove the pully because it is pressed on the shaft! there is no reason to do that in order to change the impeller. never remove both hoses unless you mark the pump so that it put back the same way that you removed it. putting the pump on wrong will wipe out your impeller. you can put the impeller in anyway you want the blade will go in the proper direction when you start the motor. ride safe
Atul Buono View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2005 at 11:32pm
Hi, thought I'd chime in just for kicks. I have an 84 Barefoot Nautique with a PCM 454.
My buddy forgot to turn the engine off when we pulled the boat out of the lake and it ran for a minute out of the water before we shut it off, so I thought my impeller might have been killed.

If you're sitting in the driver's seat looking back, the water pump is on the lower left, at the front of the engine. There are 2 hoses going into it, about 1 1/4" diameter. There is a plate with 4 bolts and a pulley that cover it up.

I just removed the 4 bolts that held the pulley on, removed the 2 bolts that held the pump on (note which way the pump came off, or your engine will overheat when you put it back together), then removed the 3 bolts that held the pump together. Impeller sits right inside there, make sure not to lose the rubber O-ring. Mine came out with needle nose plyers pretty easily. It turned out to be just fine, so I didn't need to replace it. I just twisted it a bit and pushed it back in, no lube or anything. There is no way on earth you could replace the impeller without removing the pulley on this boat.

Once you know where it is, it should take less than 20 minutes to take it apart and put it back together, even for a novice mechanic.

And so ends my impeller experience.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2005 at 12:38pm
Avoid Vasoline - It is petro based also. I like the Armoral idea above.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2005 at 2:52pm
FWIW: Just for kicks, I held my raw pump in my hand (just installed new impellar) and then turn the pulley by hand in both directions while watching the impellar. The impellar easily and quickly changed directions with not damage to the impellar vanes as they flexed the opposite direction. So, my advice is do not worry about the orientation of the impellar vanes during reassembly. I also used a bit of dielectric grease upon reassembly (i.e. silicon grease).

Altough I agree that Vaseline is petroleum based, I doubt it will do much harm. The vaseline will quickly be washed away before it has a chance to attack the rubber. Also, vasoline is highly refined to the point that it may never attack the rubber. As a modeler, I have used vaseline for years (before switching to silicon grease) on plastic gears of radio controlled race cars. Never have I attributed a gear failure to vaseline attacking the plastics or rubber parts. I have not proof, just a hunce based on life experience.

Also in the FWIW catagory: I have for years started the engine in my boats while the boat was still on the trailer and without connecting a water source. I did this to ensure the boat would start prior to heading for the lake. The run time was minimal, about 30 sec max. Now, as a rule, I change impellars every other year and never have I seen evidence of my practice causing noticable or excessive impellar wear. My thoughts are that I simply do not run the engine long enought for the friction to cause enough heat to cause any problems. Now, I am not suggesting this as something other should do, but I always find it amusing when people will absolutely will not start the boat for even a second or two without a water source connected.
tleed View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2005 at 2:06pm
Yesterday I ran my boat for about a minute before I headed to the lake. Like David F to make sure it would run before I put it in the water.

When I got to the lake, the belt at the front wouldn't turn because the water pump was stuck. I took the belt off, took a hose loose from the top, and turned it by hand. When I put the belt back on, it did turn, start, and run.

Do I need to change my impeller? I just bought the boat last summer, and haven't had it in the water more than an hour. Don't know how old the impeller is. How likely is it that I have other problems, such as a bad impeller bearing? I'm really new to this boat and am feeling my way toward responsible boat ownership and maintenance…

It's a '69 Barracuda with a 318 Chrysler.

Thomas
jameski View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2005 at 2:31pm
If you don't know when the previous owner replaced the impeller, then I would definitely recommend replacing it (or at least remove it and inspect it).
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
David F View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 11:59am
Running the engine for a minute without water is too long. Re-reading my previous post, 30 secs is really longer than I ever run mine. I would say more like 10 secs max. I just start it up to make sure the battery is good and everything is working. After a minute with no water, I would be worried about the condition of the impellar.
ty3724 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 12:08pm
Never neglect the impellar it is the heart of the cooling sytem went out the other day temp started to climb took the pump apartand man it looked like the dog got it made it back popped in a new one and away u go 30 sec. is ok unless the boat has sat and the little bit of water that stays in the hoses and pump has dried up just one hit of the key on a 1 yr old impellar could break a vane and send it in were u dont wont it!
tleed View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 1:26pm
A new impeller is on the way for my boat.

Thomas
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 8:58am
Spray silicone lubricant is what I have used for years. No greasy mess, spray the housing & the impeller, rotate the impeller when installing. Do not forget to check the end plates for wear. If groove are more than light scratches the impeller life will be shortened. Also when laying up for the winter pump coolant thru the pump into the engine. This will make the impeller last many seasons. That winter layup seems to cause more impeller problems than anything else.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 12:19pm
Yep, I usually break the pump open and put the impellar on the shelf over winter.
jameski View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 12:42pm
I read somewhere that putting it in a zip-lock when you winterize will keep it better than if it gets air to it. ...might be overkill, but it's easy enough.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Dank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 3:40pm
Sorry to dig this old post up, but I just wanted to say thanx. Went out last thurs and as we were coming in the boat started overheating. Killed it and got a tow to the dock. This was especially concerning since we had Sat morning plans w/friends that were in from out of town. since we've had the boat for a year and 1/2 and I've never replaced the impeller, I thought it would be a good place to start. Picked one up @ the local dealer for $28, searched the forums here for info, and found this thread. Atul Buono's post was especially helpful since I have the 454. 30 minute replacement job, and Sat went off w/out a hitch. I'm sure I would have figured it out, but it was nice to have a guide to let me know I was doing the right thing. Thanx guys!
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic