NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’89 CC trailer turnbuckle info?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’89 CC trailer turnbuckle info?
    Posted: September-17-2008 at 3:07pm
Can anyone in the group give me the deminsions and/or ratings of the turnbuckle for my '89 CC Sport Nautique trailer? I have found that Fastenal has many different sizes and weight ratings for them. My trailer did not come with one from the previous owner and using nylon motorcycle tie down straps are not ideal to use but will work until I can get the proper turnbuckle. Some of these things are rated to 2500# but I am not sure if I need one that stout. A picture of an original factory installed turnbuckle would really help too. Thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2008 at 3:29pm
I dont have the info, but if you call Ramlin, they might. Heres a pic of 2 factory CC/Ramlin turnbuckles. I put on one my non-factory trailer.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2008 at 3:32pm
Notice dad's boat is just sitting there ready to go, while Tim has all sorts of boxes, tools and parts getting thrown at it.

The 90 has been quiet lately, what's on tap for this winter?
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2008 at 3:36pm
Thanks TRBenj! Love those two beauties sitting in your garage! I will give Ramlin a ring to see what they can do for me. I really appreciate the info and photo.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2008 at 3:49pm
Dave, glad the pic helped.

HW, that pic must be from when I did the exhaust project because the gas tank is out. It had to be before I really got into it- the garage is too clean to be an "in-process" shot!

Ive got lots of smaller stuff to do on the 90, though nothing slated for this off season yet. The dash needs a refurb, some minor gel work, new decals, etc. The trailer also needs some attention, as its starting to look a little rough.

That all may wait another year or 2, though- Nick's Skier is the one that needs the most attention. Gotta get that in the water next year for sure!
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2008 at 9:48pm
When I bought my bow stop I called Ramlin and they sent me to the dealer. My dealer was helpful and the price was reasonable. I paid $250 for the whole thing, i.e everything black in the bow stop.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2008 at 11:52pm
TRBenj,
Where did you get the Hi-Tek manifolds from and how much were they?
I'm looking at a '95, if I get it I would like to do the exhaust like yours and lose that big honken muffler.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 2:08pm
Tim,
   I noticed that on one of your boats you remove the bow stop. I have the same system as you can see on my picture. Removing the bow stop is that a standard procedure when the boat is stored? That would explain how to put the cover.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

Tim,
   I noticed that on one of your boats you remove the bow stop. I have the same system as you can see on my picture. Removing the bow stop is that a standard procedure when the boat is stored? That would explain how to put the cover.

Anthony, Tim's dad's trailer isn't really the same as your set up. Look closely and you'll see that it has a folding tongue for saving storage space or short garages.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 2:28pm
Pretty sure Anthony's tongue flips up like Joel's trailer, the bow stop needs to be removed to do this.

Loosen the turnbuckle and have a friend push the bow up, you may be able to shimmy the cover around the nose then drop it back down against the stop.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Anthony, Tim's dad's trailer isn't really the same as your set up. Look closely and you'll see that it has a folding tongue for saving storage space or short garages.

Pete,
    I realized the swing away tongue but the bow stop receiver is on the the trailer. It has a receiver and a pin to remove it. From the picture just exactly like mine. That part is the same. I was just wonder if removing it was a standard procedure. Is easy to do, loose the two bolts and remove the pin.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 3:42pm
Anthony, what are you asking?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 4:05pm

I was just wonder if removing it was a standard procedure.

I think the main rationale behind removing it is that it creates a lot more room for the tongue to fold. If it helps you get your cover on, go for it.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 4:31pm
the bow stop is something I've never been a big fan of, mainly because of the hassle putting the cover on and the extra wear on the rub rail in that area.

Me personally I would prefer a traditional bow stop under the bow hook and wench set up. I like the set-up that they did on the CCF boat of Reid's but it would be nice if you could pull a pin and lift out the crash pad section and store it in the boat or trunk during transport and storage making it easy to install a road cover and less wear from rubbing against the rub rail.
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 4:39pm
I have no problem with the bow stop and putting on the cover...I have it down to where I power the boat on the trailer and stop 1/2" before touching the stop. Piece of cake, man!

I went to the Ram-Lin trailer site and they refer you to your CC dealer if you have a CC trailer, which makes since. I called our local CC dealer, who has been in business since 1969. The guy who I talked to in parts says he has been there "a long time" and did not even know that CC made their own trailers and that he has never sold trailer parts. He said he would do some research and get back with me. I am still waiting...

Looks like I will make a trip to Fastenal. They have dozens of turnbuckles to choose from. I just need to measure the distance between the bow ring and the ring on the trailer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

the bow stop is something I've never been a big fan of, mainly because of the hassle putting the cover on and the extra wear on the rub rail in that area.

I dont have the newer CC-style bow stop on my '90 or Skier- and I miss it. The bow stop sure makes it easy to load, as theres no question when youre all the way up. It does make it a pain to put the cover on, but I dont see how it would cause excess wear on the rubrail if youre using the turnbuckle when trailering.

Dave, CC stopped making trailers somewhere around 95-96, I think. My understanding is that they sold the plans and tooling to Ram-Lin, as their new trailers are nearly exact copy of the old CC's. The turnbuckles should be the same (old vs. new), and its true that you need to order Ram-Lin parts through a CC dealer.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

but I dont see how it would cause excess wear on the rubrail if youre using the turnbuckle when trailering.

the turnbuckel isn't going to keep the bow from bounce slightly you would really have to strong arm it so that it was tight against the boat to prevent it from bouncing at all. It was very apparent when I changed trailers and it had round poles/rollers instead of the crash pads. Just personal choice Tim that's all.

just remember that the turnbuckel only prevents the boat from going backwards not forward, so all the weight gets transfered (under braking) to the crash pads that makes a point countact on the rub rail as the hull is a very larger arc in that area and not flat where it makes contact so if you run your hand along the rub rail I bet you can feel a slight flat spot on each side.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 7:57pm

I was just wonder if removing it was a standard procedure.

I think the main rationale behind removing it is that it creates a lot more room for the tongue to fold. If it helps you get your cover on, go for it.

Hollywood you are right. Mine is a simple question. Should I remove the bow stop post when I get home to put the coer. The reason I ask is because my trailer is an 01 Ramlin. The first and only time I used it and drove it home and the boat moved forward and is impossible to put the cover on front. Since then I bought some straps for the back, I hope they help. Actually that brings another question, is it ok to attach the straps to the platform bracket. Also, my trailer is slighlty bigger than my boat and the boat engine sits slightly ahead of the axle. The tongue feels a little bit heavy. I can't raise by hand but my dolly does ok.

Besides straps on the back, is there another easy way to prevent the boat from sliding forward. I already know brake slower.

For the spare tire, can I use any wheel mount or do you guys have any recomendations.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 8:18pm
Anthony, take a look at your tongue- my dad's '03 Ramlin is adjustable for a few different boats (likely the 196, 206, maybe the 216). Moving the tongue forward one bolt allowed him to increase the tongue weight a bit. See if you can move yours back- if you cant lift it, you have too much tongue weight. Too much is better than too little, but you want to be in the neighborhood of 10% of the gross weight (boat + trailer), which should be in the neighborhood of 300-350lbs.

Besides straps on the back, is there another easy way to prevent the boat from sliding forward. I already know brake slower.

Not sure what you mean by this. The boat should be up against the crash pads and held in place by the turnbuckle. It shouldnt move forward at all, ever.

Eastern Marine sells a decent looking spare tire carrier that fits the 6-lug wheels.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 8:34pm

The boat should be up against the crash pads and held in place by the turnbuckle.

When you get your hot rod BFN you may see that this isn't always true. The V hull rocks back and leaves plenty of room for a cover.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 12:40am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I know what he is sayin. On my rubrail, the metal is actually worn out and gone where the rail hits the rubber bow stop. It has drastically worn it out, you can see it, not just feel it.
74SkiNautique
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 2:44pm
I got a big 1/2 in thick nylon cutting board from wally world. Cut it to fit the bow stops, took the carpet off and installed the nylon with counter sunk s/s screws. - very happy with it!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 4:34pm
Transom straps will not stop the boat from sliding forward.
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 4:56pm
My cover is shaped so that it does not cover the rubrail along the crash pads, so I don't have to try and squeeze the cover between the rubrail and the crashpad. Do the Rankin covers go between the rubrail and the crashpads?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 5:21pm
Thanks to everybody, I think my question was answered. I just wanted to know if everybody remove the bow stop to put the cover. I think the consensus is that is not common to do so. I don't need to move the tongue upwards since my boat is outside. I have pull my boat only once and it was raining. I hope it doesn't keep moving forward. I had hopes the transom straps would help but per your comment it won't. Will see how persistent is this sliding problem. Tim, my bow stop is all the way to the back. That's why I think the trailer might be too big. As long it works fine and I don't have a major problem I will be ok.

Thanks again guys, as always you rock
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic