Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

91 2001 tranny Fluid change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tjamesbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjamesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 91 2001 tranny Fluid change
    Posted: September-20-2008 at 4:00pm
Really must change my Tranny Fluid This weekend I've been putting it off cos not sure what fluid and how to drain it
The Box is a Borg Velvet Drive (10-17-004) with a 1:1 ratio and K7167 Serial No
First Question is Dexron II or III ???

Second Question I have a Hand Pump (500cc piston syringe type with 200mm Clear Plastic Tube ) Can I use this via the top up hole? is there any chance of the Tube getting caught / jammed when its in?

Can I Change it by sucking what i can, then Topping up, then running the engine, and repeating ? how many times to be sure there is enough of the new in ?

Thanks Guys
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 10:42pm
Hey James, I use a hand pump to suck out my tranny fluid and engine oil. Just put one hose into the filler/dipstick and the out-let hose into some container. And PUMP AWAY! No need to get all the fluid out unless water contaminated(pink color). Just get as much as possible.       
You should use a Dextron II or III which ever you can find. Mercon II and III are the same as Dextron II and III. Dextron III replaced II. If a tranny calls for III and you put II, thats bad, but if it calls for II, then III is just fine, even better.     My 74' has the same tranny and it calls for I, which is not made anymore b/c III is the best. If your fluid is really old you should suck it out, refill, use it for a day, then repeat. NO need to do it twice unless its full of junk or water contaminated. Just one time is fine.

Chris             
74SkiNautique
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 10:55pm
Dexron II or II either one is fine. Takes approx. 2 quarts give or take a couple ounces. Your syringe should be fine. Most use a turkey baster type. I have an old refrigerator compressor that I use with a vacuum reservoir that I made out of PVC pipe. It gets more out than any syringe I've ever used. Eric is the tranny expert here. He might have something to add.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 10:56pm
Chris I guess I was typing at the same time as you. Not meaning to step on your toes.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 11:09pm
hahaha..its fine, you added how much fluid...i didnt know off the top of my head...lol
74SkiNautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2008 at 11:46am
Originally posted by tjamesbo tjamesbo wrote:

is there any chance of the Tube getting caught / jammed when its in?
Thanks Guys

Who was it that got the tube stuck/dropped into the trans sump? Tim? I don't remember if he ever got it out??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 12:02am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

is there any chance of the Tube getting caught / jammed when its in?

Thanks Guys

Who was it that got the tube stuck/dropped into the trans sump? Tim? I don't remember if he ever got it out??

Yes it was, and yes I did. Damn 1.23 and its secret compartments! To be sure it doesnt happen again, I removed the septic tank, which kept me from seeing how straight the tube went in.

[IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/Tim_4-29-07017_small.jpg">
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 12:37am

Really must change my Tranny Fluid This weekend I've been putting it off cos not sure what fluid and how to drain it
The Box is a Borg Velvet Drive (10-17-004) with a 1:1 ratio and K7167 Serial No
First Question is Dexron II or III ???

Second Question I have a Hand Pump (500cc piston syringe type with 200mm Clear Plastic Tube ) Can I use this via the top up hole? is there any chance of the Tube getting caught / jammed when its in?

Can I Change it by sucking what i can, then Topping up, then running the engine, and repeating ? how many times to be sure there is enough of the new in ?

Thanks Guys

The way I see this is...there is at least 2 new signature lines here. HW must be asleep...or maybe since this guy is from the UK we are gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic